How to connect 11v Battery to 5.3 V power Supply

In summary, Yawanth is looking for a way to step down the voltage from an 11V battery to power a device that requires 5.3V. The recommended solution is to use a DC-to-DC converter, specifically a linear regulator like the LM7805. A 0.1uF ceramic capacitor should be placed between the 5V and ground for optimal performance.
yaswanth_040
Hi friends,
I don't have any electrical background. In my experiments I have 11 V Battery which has to power up PC104 which needs 5.3 V. Can please help me out how to step down the voltage.

Thank You,
Yawanth

Engineering news on Phys.org
yaswanth_040 said:
Hi friends,
I don't have any electrical background. In my experiments I have 11 V Battery which has to power up PC104 which needs 5.3 V. Can please help me out how to step down the voltage.

Thank You,
Yawanth

Sounds like what you want is a DC-to-DC converter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-to-DC_converter" [Broken]

You could either use a linear regulator (inefficient) or a buck converter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to DigiKey and look up LM7805. It's a linear regulator that will drop the 12V battery to 5V. Put a 0.1uF ceramic cap between the 5V and ground and it should power your device just fine. I'm assuming the device draws less than 500mA.

1. How do I connect an 11v battery to a 5.3v power supply?

The first step is to check the polarity of both the battery and the power supply. Make sure the positive and negative terminals are correctly identified. Then, you will need to use a voltage regulator to bring down the 11v from the battery to 5.3v. Connect the positive terminal of the battery to the input pin of the voltage regulator and the negative terminal to the ground pin. Finally, connect the output pin of the voltage regulator to the positive terminal of the power supply and the ground pin to the negative terminal of the power supply.

2. Can I directly connect the battery and the power supply without a voltage regulator?

No, it is not recommended to directly connect a battery with a higher voltage to a power supply with a lower voltage. This can cause damage to the power supply and potentially create safety hazards. A voltage regulator is necessary to regulate the voltage and ensure safe operation.

3. Which type of voltage regulator should I use for this connection?

You can use a linear voltage regulator or a switching voltage regulator. A linear regulator is simpler and cheaper, but it can dissipate a lot of heat and is less efficient. A switching regulator is more complex and expensive, but it is more efficient and generates less heat.

4. What is the maximum current that can be drawn from the power supply in this connection?

This depends on the specifications of the power supply and the voltage regulator. Make sure to check the datasheets for both components to determine their maximum current ratings. It is important not to exceed the maximum current, as it can damage the components and potentially cause a fire hazard.

5. Can I use this connection for any electronic device?

It depends on the voltage and current requirements of the device. If the device requires a maximum voltage of 5.3v and the current drawn is within the limits of the power supply and voltage regulator, then you can use this connection. However, it is always best to consult the device's specifications and consult with an expert if necessary.