Bunch of easy Chemistry questions

• Thread starter relativitydude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the effective nuclear charge for an element can be calculated using the formula Zeff = Z - S, where Z is the atomic number and S is the sum of the Slater rules. These rules take into account the electron's position in the shell and the type of shell it is in. Zeff must be obtained empirically for each wavefunction.
relativitydude
I need to list the affective nuclear charge from least to greatest on a group of elements in the S orbital. Zeff = Z - S

So I look, at say Titanium atomic number 81 minus the electrons in the s orbital of the valance, so that's 6s^2. So is titaniums affective nuclear charge 81 - 2 = 79?

The next question asks whether various anions, K+ and Ca2+ are bigger and smaller than one another.. Can I just look at the trends in the periodic or must I calculate Zeff?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I recall that there is a somewhat more complex formula to calculate the effective nuclear charge, but I'm not sure.

Hi,

Slater introduced the concept of "effective nuclear charge" in his try to obtain analytical and easy to integrate orbital wavefunctions. This parameter must be obtained empirically and is tabulated for each atom and shell.

In order to work in a very approximated way he developed the "Slater rules" to get acceptable Zeff values: Zeff=Z-S (but don´t forget that they´re very approximated, good ones must be obtained empirically for each wavefunction)

Theese are the rules:

Having chosen an electron, the Z eff that it "feels" is:

1- S=0 for any electron in an upper shell (value of n).

2- S=0.35 for each electron in the same shell, except if it´s 1s then 0.31.

3.- If the electron is s or p, S=0.85 for each electron in the inmediate below shell. And S=1 for the rest.

4.- If the electron is d or f, S=1 for each electron in any shell below it.

You have to sum all the S contributions and do Zeff= Z- total S

Exmpl: 1s electron of Ti: Zeff=22-1*0.35 = 21.65

4s electron of Ti: Zeff= 22 - 1*0.35 - 10*0.85 - 8*1 - 2*1 = 3.15

(Z=81 is Talium)

Last edited:

What is chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of the properties, structure, and composition of matter, as well as the changes it undergoes. It is often referred to as the central science because it connects and overlaps with other scientific fields, such as biology, physics, and geology.

What are the basic principles of chemistry?

The basic principles of chemistry include the atomic structure of elements, the arrangement of atoms in molecules, the behavior of substances in different environments, and the laws that govern chemical reactions and interactions.

What are some common branches of chemistry?

Some common branches of chemistry include organic chemistry, inorganic chemistry, analytical chemistry, physical chemistry, and biochemistry. These branches focus on different aspects of chemistry, such as the study of carbon-based compounds, the characterization of elements and compounds, and the physical properties of substances.

How is chemistry used in everyday life?

Chemistry is used in everyday life in countless ways. It helps us understand the composition of food and how our bodies process it. It is also used in the production of medicines, cleaning products, and fuels. Chemistry is also essential in the production of materials such as plastics, textiles, and cosmetics.

Why is chemistry important in the world?

Chemistry is important in the world because it helps us understand the world around us and provides solutions to various problems. It has contributed to advancements in technology, medicine, and agriculture. Chemistry also plays a crucial role in addressing global issues such as climate change and pollution. It also helps us develop sustainable methods of production and preserve natural resources.