Academic and Career Guidance Forum

In summary, the conversation discusses the new "Academic and Career Guidance" forum and suggests posting ZapperZ's "So You Want To Be A Physicist" journal series as a sticky. There is also a mention of Greg's previous attempt to link to the journal, but it did not work properly. The group agrees that the journal series would be beneficial and suggests getting Zapper's permission before posting it.
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm now mentor for the "Academic and Career Guidance" forum?

I'm not complaining- I think it's a worthwhile forum but I would have like to have had some notice beforehand!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations! :rofl:

:blushing: Awww! Gee!

Thanks for listening, everyone. And sorry if my actions inadvertently put you in a tough spot, Halls. :shy:

Now that the forum is here, I think it would be great if we could post ZapperZ's "So You Want To Be A Physicist" journal series as a sticky. It could probably answer many questions before they are asked, and be beneficial to someone who isn't browsing the forum with a specific question in mind. And of course, it'd be much more visible and perfectly at home as a sticky in this forum. Of course we'd have to get Zapper's permission. What does everyone think? Worth posting and worth stickying?

Greg, I noticed you posted a sticky linking to Zapper's journal, but the links don't seem to actually pick out individual journal entries, so they all wind up just linking to the top of the last page of Zapper's journal. If there's not a way to link directly to the entries, it might be better to just copy the text from the 5 entries and paste it into 5 posts in the thread.

What is the purpose of the Academic and Career Guidance Forum?

The purpose of the Academic and Career Guidance Forum is to provide a platform for students and professionals to discuss and receive guidance on academic and career-related topics. It is a place to share knowledge, experiences, and advice to help individuals make informed decisions about their education and career paths.

Who can participate in the Academic and Career Guidance Forum?

The Academic and Career Guidance Forum is open to anyone who is interested in discussing or seeking guidance on academic and career-related topics. This includes students, professionals, educators, and career counselors.

What types of topics are discussed in the Academic and Career Guidance Forum?

The forum covers a wide range of topics related to academics and careers, such as choosing a major, finding internships and jobs, networking, graduate school, and career advancement. Participants are also welcome to bring up any other relevant topics for discussion.

Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in the Academic and Career Guidance Forum?

Yes, we ask that all participants adhere to our code of conduct, which promotes respectful and constructive discussions. This includes refraining from personal attacks, discrimination, and spamming. We also encourage participants to provide evidence-based information and sources to support their opinions and advice.

Can I seek personalized advice on my specific academic or career situation in the Academic and Career Guidance Forum?

The forum is a place for general discussions and guidance, and it is not intended to replace individualized counseling or advice. However, participants are welcome to share their personal experiences and seek advice from others in the forum. It is always recommended to also seek professional guidance from a career counselor or academic advisor for more personalized advice.