Eqn for phase / modulation eqns

In summary: But that was as far as I got.In summary, the conversation is about solving a mathematical challenge involving modulation equations and obtaining an expression for the phase variable, delta, in terms of another variable, phi. Various approaches are discussed and the conversation ends with one person requesting for a hint to solve the problem.
JasonMech
Hi guys,

I need some help. I have the following modulation equations:
[tex]\Re:-\zeta a+\lambda a\cos 2\delta-\eta \cos (\delta+\phi)=0[/tex]
and
[tex]\Im:\omega a+\lambda a\sin 2\delta-\eta \sin (\delta+\phi)=0[/tex]
which, with proper manipulation (i.e. by squaring and adding and/or diving them with each other) should give me an expression for the phase:
[tex]\delta=\arctan \frac{\left(\lambda-\omega\right)\sin\phi-\zeta\cos\phi}{\left(\lambda+\omega\right)\cos\phi-\zeta\sin\phi}[/tex]
I just can't see the link... That is, I cannot reach this expression! By dividing the imaginary part with the real part of the modulation eqns:
[tex]\tan \left(\delta+\phi\right)=\frac{\omega+\lambda\sin 2\delta}{-\zeta+\lambda\cos 2\delta}.[/tex]

Then, we should obtain an expression for the phase $\delta$ in terms of $\phi$ and through some manipulation we should arrive at [tex]\delta=\arctan \left[...\right][/tex]
Can you solve this challenge? (This is NOT classical homework although it might seem so!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
(Thread moved from ME to Calculus & Analysis to get better math views...)

Why don't you expand?
[itex]\sin 2x=2\sin x\cos x[/itex] and so forth and you have to write sin and cos in terms of tan.

Hi hunt_mat,

I have already, along other approaches, done that. With your proposal, i.e. invoking the relations:

[tex]\sin 2\delta=2\sin\delta\cos\delta,\quad \cos 2\delta=1-2\sin^2\delta[/tex]

and

[tex]\tan\delta=\frac{\sin\delta}{\cos\delta},\quad \tan(\delta+\phi)=\frac{\tan\delta+\tan\phi}{1-\tan\delta\tan\phi},[/tex]

and substituting these into:

[tex]\tan \left(\delta+\phi\right)=\frac{\omega+\lambda\sin 2\delta}{-\zeta+\lambda\cos 2\delta}.[/tex]

one obtains:

[tex]\tan\delta+\tan\phi=\frac{\omega+2\lambda \tan \delta}{-\zeta+\lambda\left(1-2\frac{\tan^2\delta}{\cos^2\delta}\right)}\left(1-\tan\delta\tan\phi\right)[/tex]

This expression can be isolated wrt. \phi with some additional algebraic manipulations:

[tex]\phi=\arctan\left\{\frac{\omega+2\lambda \tan \delta -\left[-\zeta+\lambda\left(1-2\frac{\tan ^2\delta}{\cos^2\delta}\right)\tan \delta\right]}{\left(\omega+2\lambda \tan \delta\right)\tan \delta-\zeta+\lambda\left(1-2\frac{\tan ^2\delta}{\cos^2\delta}\right)}\right\}.[/tex]

However, I am interested in an expression for the variable \delta in terms of \phi.

I have difficulties isolating \delta in the aforementioned eqn. If you have some ideas that would be highly appreciated.

First I did what you did and isolate the [itex]a[/itex] and the [itex]\eta[/itex] and divide through by each other to obtain:
[tex]
\tan \left(\delta+\phi\right)=\frac{\omega+\lambda\sin 2\delta}{-\zeta+\lambda\cos 2\delta}
[/tex]
Then I turned everything I could see into tan, so
[tex]
\sin 2\delta =\frac{2\tan\delta}{1+\tan^{2}\delta},\quad\cos 2\delta =\frac{1-\tan^{2}\delta}{1+\tan^{2}\delta}
[/tex]
doing this lead me to this equation:
[tex]
\frac{\omega (1+\tan^{2}\delta)+2\lambda\tan\delta}{\lambda -\zeta -(\lambda +\zeta)\tan^{2}\delta}=\frac{\tan\delta +\tan\phi}{1-\tan\delta\tan\phi}
[/tex]
From here, cos multiply, rearrange and cross your fingers.

Have you gotten from:

[tex]\frac{\omega (1+\tan^{2}\delta)+2\lambda\tan\delta}{\lambda -\zeta -(\lambda +\zeta)\tan^{2}\delta}=\frac{\tan\delta +\tan\phi}{1-\tan\delta\tan\phi}[/tex]

to:

[tex]\delta=\arctan \frac{\left(\lambda-\omega\right)\sin\phi-\zeta\cos\phi}{\left(\lambda+\omega\right)\cos\phi-\zeta\sin\phi}[/tex]

?

I didnt think about using the trig id:

[tex]\sin 2\delta =\frac{2\tan\delta}{1+\tan^{2}\delta},\quad\cos 2\delta =\frac{1-\tan^{2}\delta}{1+\tan^{2}\delta}[/tex]

before, so that's a nice comment. I don't know whether you with "cos multiply" meant both in the numerator and denominator or only numerator and whether it should be only on the right hand side of the eqn or on both sides of the eqn. All approaches are valid I guess. I tried all of them of which the firstmentioned writes:

[tex]\frac{\sin \delta +\cos \delta \tan \phi}{\cos \delta -\sin \delta \tan \phi}=\frac{\omega \left(\cos \delta +\frac{\sin ^2\delta}{\cos \delta}\right)+2\lambda \sin \delta}{\left(\lambda-\zeta\right)\cos \delta -\left(\zeta+\lambda\right)\frac{\sin ^2\delta}{\cos \delta}}[/tex]

which is not, to me, near the sought solution:

Solving:

[tex]\frac{\omega (1+\tan^{2}\delta)+2\lambda\tan\delta}{\lambda -\zeta -(\lambda +\zeta)\tan^{2}\delta}=\frac{\tan\delta +\tan\phi}{1-\tan\delta\tan\phi}[/tex]

wrt. $\delta$ and multiplying with $\cos \phi$ (note that this approach is different than the one you proposed; here I solve and subsequently multiply with $\cos \phi$ and not $\cos \delta$) in Maple yields:

[tex]\delta=\arctan \left\{\frac{\left(\zeta+\lambda\right)\sin \phi +\omega \cos \phi}{-\left(\zeta+\lambda\right)\cos \phi+\omega \sin \phi}\right\}[/tex]

which differs with change in sign and (more importantly) the variables are attached to different trigonometric functions. Thus, I am very curious if you got the correct result? And of course, I am dying to get a hint... :-)

It was a typo, cos multiply was meant to be cross multiply. That is as far as I got as I only wanted to get a feel of the problem to give you a hint of how to solve your problem.

My idea was to get an equation for [itex]\tan\delta[/itex] first.

1. What is an equation for phase/modulation?

An equation for phase/modulation is a mathematical representation of how a signal changes over time. It describes the relationship between the input signal and the output signal, taking into account factors such as amplitude, frequency, and phase shift.

2. How is phase/modulation used in science?

Phase/modulation equations are used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and telecommunications. They are especially important in the study of waves and signals, as they help to describe how these phenomena behave and can be manipulated.

3. What is the difference between phase and modulation?

Phase and modulation are related concepts but have different meanings. Phase refers to the timing or position of a signal relative to a reference point, while modulation refers to the process of altering a signal to carry information. In other words, phase is a property of a signal, whereas modulation is a method of manipulating that signal.

4. How are phase and modulation related to each other?

Phase and modulation are related through the concept of phase modulation, which is a type of modulation that uses changes in phase to convey information. In this type of modulation, the phase of a carrier wave is altered in a controlled manner to represent the desired signal.

5. Can phase and modulation be expressed as a single equation?

Yes, there are equations that combine phase and modulation, such as the phase modulation equation and the phase-shift keying equation. However, the specific equation used will depend on the type of modulation being used and the properties of the signal being analyzed.