How to find the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope?

In summary, the student is trying to figure out how to find the point spread function of a Newtonian telescope. They know the basics of a Newtonian telescope and know that from the image a telescope produces, you can find the point spread function. They are stuck on how to get from one step to the next and would appreciate any help or guidance.
Rana13
Hi everyone. I am a research undergrad student at the University of Washington and I have been given a conceptual problem to figure out for my astrophysics group...

My professor would like us to explain to how how one would find the point spread function of a Newtonian telescope.

Here's the kicker, I am NOT allowed to be given the answer, and so I am not here looking for the answer but more for GUIDANCE :)

I will list the following of what I know and where I am stuck, and what I don't understand:

I know the basic diagram of a Newtonian telescope. I know that light enters the chute and is reflected from a concave mirror (on the edges) which is then reflected back to a tiny slanted mirror (in the middle) which gives us the image into our focus piece.

Because the image isn't digital (or is it?) I am confused here on what Ill be seeing. This would be my true image of the sky, correct?

I know that from the true image of the sky, you can from there find the Point Spread Function (which as I understand it, is our SENSITIVITY from the sky) from the inverse Fourier Transform.

Im completely stuck though as to how I get from one part to the next. I get something from the Newtonian telescope...an image...what image this is, I have no idea. I know from there I can get to my PSF using Fourier transform.

Again I am very new to this, I just learned these concepts recently and I am not well studied on astrophysics, telescopes or any of this. This is quite beyond my mere Associates of Science degree but I am learning and also trying. Any help or guidance would be fantastic :)
I have some knowledge of the math between baselines, psf, true image, power etc.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I know very little about this subject, but the wikipedia articles on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_spread_function" may be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Plot the light cone.

1. What is the Point Spread Function (PSF) of a Newtonian Telescope?

The Point Spread Function (PSF) of a Newtonian Telescope is a mathematical representation of the image produced by the telescope. It describes how a point of light in the sky is spread out or blurred into a larger spot on the final image. This is important for understanding the resolution and clarity of the telescope's images.

2. How do I calculate the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope?

To calculate the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope, you will need to use a variety of factors such as the telescope's aperture, focal length, and optical design. You will also need to consider the effects of atmospheric turbulence and any aberrations in the telescope's optics. This calculation can be done using mathematical equations or specialized software.

3. Why is it important to know the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope?

Knowing the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope is important for several reasons. First, it can help astronomers understand the capabilities and limitations of the telescope when it comes to producing clear and detailed images. It can also be used to correct for any aberrations or distortions in the images produced by the telescope. Additionally, the PSF can provide valuable information about the atmospheric conditions and other environmental factors that may affect the telescope's performance.

4. How does the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope affect image quality?

The Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope plays a crucial role in determining the quality of images produced by the telescope. A smaller PSF indicates a higher resolution and better image clarity, while a larger PSF can result in blurry or distorted images. The PSF can also reveal any aberrations or imperfections in the telescope's optics, which can affect the overall image quality.

5. Can the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope be improved?

Yes, the Point Spread Function of a Newtonian Telescope can be improved through various methods. These include using higher quality optical components, reducing atmospheric turbulence through adaptive optics, and implementing image processing techniques to correct for aberrations. Additionally, regular maintenance and calibration of the telescope can also help improve its Point Spread Function and overall image quality.