Wave nature of electron, interference and standing waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the wave nature of electrons, specifically in creating interference patterns and standing waves. It is possible to create cm-sized electron interference patterns, but it may not be practical or easy due to the equipment and vacuum requirements. Creating standing waves of electrons is also uncertain. From a quantum perspective, electron interference refers to the probabilities of the electron's location, not its charge. It may be possible to use the wave nature of electrons to create deep electrostatic potential wells, but it would require forcing them together against their repulsive forces. The conversation also touches on the possibility of creating an interference pattern with only one photon, but this is debated and unlikely.
fusun
Hello,

was wondering a couple of details on the wave nature of electrons and the state of the art in this field. In particular:
  • Is it practical and possible (easily) to create a cm sized electron interference pattern (fringes are in the cm size magnitude). I have so far seen Low Energy Electron Diffraction (LEED) which seems to be able to create wave lengths that are permissive to this kind of thing...
  • Is it possible to create a standing wave of electrons similar to the way a microwave oven creates standing microwaves (with hot and cool spots).
  • What does it mean from a quantum perspective for an electron to be constructively/destructively interfered with? Does its charge get "amplified" the same way a light wave becomes brighter?

I'm asking all this because I'm wondering if there's a way to exploit the wave nature of electrons to create very deep electrostatic potential wells.

Appreciate the info.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not much knowledgeable in this area but having read your post, I assume you think electrons to act as waves and not as wave-function.. to answer your point no. 2 ; I suppose by standing waves you mean 'stationary ones' ,so in this case there will be needed two opposite waves to super-pose on each other.. hm...
I think from quantum perspective it doesn't matter what size the particle is as long as Quantum effects are noticeable.
So everything applies same to each particle in the case of fringes.. isn't that a set of outcomes for the respective wave-function ?

P.S: It's almost 3 am ,sorry if I am rambled along..

fusun said:
  • Is it practical and possible (easily) to create a cm sized electron interference pattern (fringes are in the cm size magnitude). I have so far seen Low Energy Electron Diffraction (LEED) which seems to be able to create wave lengths that are permissive to this kind of thing...

• It really depends on what you mean by practical. For electrons you need the electron source, a container, target, and all that inside a vacuum container. Throw in the vacuum equipment and it's not looking very cheap from an individuals viewpoint.

[*] Is it possible to create a standing wave of electrons similar to the way a microwave oven creates standing microwaves (with hot and cool spots).

Not sure.

[*] What does it mean from a quantum perspective for an electron to be constructively/destructively interfered with? Does its charge get "amplified" the same way a light wave becomes brighter?

No, the interference only refers to the probabilities of an electron being found in a particular location. A black area on the pattern is just a spot where an electron has a very low chance of being found. The pattern you usually see is the result of many many electrons being detected over time. An electron doesn't spread it's charge out all over the place.

I'm asking all this because I'm wondering if there's a way to exploit the wave nature of electrons to create very deep electrostatic potential wells.

I'm sure you can use the wave nature to do different things to an already established well of electrons, but to create that well you need to force them together against their repulsive forces.

Drakkith said:
It really depends on what you mean by practical. For electrons you need the electron source, a container, target, and all that inside a vacuum container. Throw in the vacuum equipment and it's not looking very cheap from an individuals viewpoint.

Not sure.

No, the interference only refers to the probabilities of an electron being found in a particular location. A black area on the pattern is just a spot where an electron has a very low chance of being found. The pattern you usually see is the result of many many electrons being detected over time. An electron doesn't spread it's charge out all over the place.

I'm sure you can use the wave nature to do different things to an already established well of electrons, but to create that well you need to force them together against their repulsive forces.

I agree with your post however whilst I was reading few articles based on "double slit experiment" I recall that few mentioned the following scenario: An interference pattern is observed on the target screen when one photon is shone/ejected in the path of two slits. So am I right to think that interference pattern is observable in such case ^ .

-ibysaiyan

ibysaiyan said:
I agree with your post however whilst I was reading few articles based on "double slit experiment" I recall that few mentioned the following scenario: An interference pattern is observed on the target screen when one photon is shone/ejected in the path of two slits. So am I right to think that interference pattern is observable in such case ^ .

-ibysaiyan

I can't see that being possible. One photon is only detectable in ONE spot. I really don't think it is possible to make a pattern from one photon. Do you have a link to the references you were reading?

Drakkith said:
It really depends on what you mean by practical. For electrons you need the electron source, a container, target, and all that inside a vacuum container. Throw in the vacuum equipment and it's not looking very cheap from an individuals viewpoint.

Practical like getting a bunch of discarded cathode ray tubes from old CRTs etc.

Drakkith said:
Drakkith said:
I can't see that being possible. One photon is only detectable in ONE spot. I really don't think it is possible to make a pattern from one photon. Do you have a link to the references you were reading?

Yes of course. The result of the fringes is that the probability of an electron landing somewhere in particular is heightened, but the electron is still an electron.

This would mean that the ion beam density (macro effect) could be amplified creating a highly charged hot spot where most electrons hit.

Now that I think about it, this is obvious.

Drakkith said:
[*] Is it possible to create a standing wave of electrons similar to the way a microwave oven creates standing microwaves (with hot and cool spots).

Not sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-energy_electron_diffraction" of an electron at room temperature seems to be 8nm. (No source).

The De Broglie relation gives the wavelength of an electron at 20eV to be:

lambda = h / p = 4.13*10^-15 / (20x1.6x10-19 / 2.99 * 10^8) = 4.13*10^-15 / (10.70 * 10^-11) = 6.1 * 10^-4m = 6mm.

Does anyone else follow the steps I took? would this be reasonable?

Last edited by a moderator:
ibysaiyan said:
I assume you think electrons to act as waves and not as wave-function..

Good point. I had confounded the two different phenomena into one when posting. Indeed, there is the phenomena of getting diffraction (which is purely a probability distribution function) and standing waves (which is a De Broglie wave form phenomena).

1. What is the wave nature of electrons?

The wave nature of electrons refers to the fact that electrons, which are particles with negative charge, also exhibit properties of a wave. This means that they can exhibit behaviors such as diffraction, interference, and polarization, similar to waves like light and sound.

2. How does interference occur in electrons?

Interference in electrons occurs when two or more electron waves meet and interact with each other. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out.

3. What are standing waves and how do they relate to electrons?

Standing waves are a type of wave pattern that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. In the context of electrons, standing waves can form within an atom's orbitals, creating stable energy states for the electrons to occupy.

4. How does the wave nature of electrons impact their behavior in matter?

The wave nature of electrons plays a crucial role in how they behave in matter. This is because their wavelength is directly related to their momentum, which determines how they interact with the atoms and molecules in a material. This is why electrons can exhibit properties like diffraction and interference when passing through a material.

5. Why is understanding the wave nature of electrons important?

Understanding the wave nature of electrons is important for a variety of reasons. It helps us to better understand the behavior of matter at a microscopic level, which is crucial for many fields of science, including chemistry and materials science. It also allows us to develop advanced technologies, such as electron microscopy and electron beam lithography, which have numerous practical applications in industries like medicine and electronics.