How can I analyze complex signals using the Wigner-Ville Distribution in MATLAB?

In summary, a student is using the Time Frequency Toolbox for MATLAB to do data and signal analysis. They are specifically using the Wigner-Ville Distribution (WVD) function, but are running into trouble when dealing with complex signals. When trying to feed complex signals directly into the WVD function, they receive an error saying the signal is not analytic and get strange artifacts. They also mention that when using the analytic associate signal (implemented in the Hilbert function in MATLAB), the imaginary part is ignored and only the real part is kept. They ask if this is acceptable and how to deal with complex signals in the WVD using the toolbox.
Azherbahai
Hello, I am an undergraduate student and I am doing some data/signal analysis using the Time Frequency Toolbox for MATLAB (http://tftb.nongnu.org/). Specifically, I am using the Wigner-Ville Distribution (henceforth known as "WVD," as implemented in the tfrwv.m function in TFTB).

Basically, I have a set of data that I put through the WVD and interpret. This is not a problem when I have a real data set for which I take the analytic associate signal (implemented in Hilbert function in MATLAB) and feed it through the WVD function in TFTB.

However, now I am working with complex signals; I have a set of data from experiments that contain an amplitude and a phase and I am having trouble analyzing the data, because when I feed this directly into the WVD functon (in x+iy form), I get an error telling me that the signal is "not analytic." Furthermore, I get the strange kind of artifacts that are reminiscent of a real signal feed into the WVD without using its analytic associate.

When I take the analytic associate signal (using Hilbert MATLAB function) it tells me that the imaginary part has been ignored. So it literally eschews the imaginary part and keeps only the real part!

QUESTION 1 Is this acceptable ? Meaning, is using only the real part for the analytic signal okay?

otherwise,

QUESTION 2 and 3: How do I deal with complex signals for the WVD in the TFTB? Anyone familiar with this toolbox?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org

Any ideas?

1. How do I install the Time Frequency Toolbox in MATLAB?

To install the Time Frequency Toolbox in MATLAB, you can either download it from MathWorks File Exchange or use the "Add-Ons" option in the MATLAB menu. Once installed, the toolbox can be accessed through the "Toolboxes" section in the MATLAB menu.

2. What signals can be analyzed using the Time Frequency Toolbox?

The Time Frequency Toolbox in MATLAB is designed to analyze signals that have a time-varying frequency content. This includes signals such as non-stationary signals, non-linear signals, and signals with oscillatory components.

3. How do I import and preprocess my data in the Time Frequency Toolbox?

The Time Frequency Toolbox allows you to import data directly from MATLAB workspace or from a file. Once imported, you can preprocess your data using various functions such as filtering, detrending, and resampling, which can be accessed through the "Preprocessing" tab in the toolbox.

4. What types of time-frequency analysis can be performed using the Time Frequency Toolbox?

The Time Frequency Toolbox in MATLAB offers a variety of time-frequency analysis methods, including the short-time Fourier transform, wavelet transform, and the Hilbert-Huang transform. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of signals.

5. Can I visualize my time-frequency analysis results in the Time Frequency Toolbox?

Yes, the Time Frequency Toolbox in MATLAB provides various visualization options to help you better understand your time-frequency analysis results. You can plot the spectrogram, scalogram, and time-frequency maps of your signal, and customize the display settings according to your preferences.