Showing that a certain subgroup is the kernal of a homomorphism

• Thread starter demonelite123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary, the normal subgroup {1, -1, i, -i} is the kernel of a homomorphism from the quaternion group Q to the group {-1, 1}, where the homomorphism is defined as xN → x2, and the isomorphism between Q/N and {-1, 1} is given by N → 1 and jN (or kN) → -1.
demonelite123
Let Q be the quaternion group {1, -1, i, -i, j, -j, k, -k}. Show that the normal subgroup {1, -1, i, -i} is the kernal of a homomorphism from Q to {1, -1}.

I know that if N is a normal subgroup of G then the homomorphism f: G -> G/N has N as the kernal of f. while i can get the kernal of f to be {1, -1, i, -i} i can't seem to get the codomain to be {1, -1}. I've gone through different mappings and all of them while they had the correct kernal always seem to have more than just {1, -1} in the codomain. can someone help me determine the correct homomorphism?

Physics news on Phys.org
demonelite123 said:
Let Q be the quaternion group {1, -1, i, -i, j, -j, k, -k}. Show that the normal subgroup {1, -1, i, -i} is the kernal of a homomorphism from Q to {1, -1}.

I know that if N is a normal subgroup of G then the homomorphism f: G -> G/N has N as the kernal of f. while i can get the kernal of f to be {1, -1, i, -i} i can't seem to get the codomain to be {1, -1}. I've gone through different mappings and all of them while they had the correct kernal always seem to have more than just {1, -1} in the codomain. can someone help me determine the correct homomorphism?
Can you show your work? Why do you think the codomain has more than 2 elements?

Every element of Q appears in the image. The point is that they aren't all distinct in the image.

i have tried mapping x to x^2 but then i2 = -1 so it is not in the kernal, x^4 would exclude -1 in the set {1, -1}. i have also tried mapping x to xN where N = {1, -1, i, -i} is a normal subgroup so there exists a natural homomorphism with N as its kernal. but that doesn't work since for instance when x = k we would get kN = {k, -k, -j, j} which is not the right codomain.

would this next map work? [itex] x \mapsto xN [/itex] where N = {1, -1, i. -i}, x is any member of Q, xN is a left coset, and N is a normal subgroup of Q. Then i map again: [itex] xN \mapsto (xN)^2 [/itex]. so the composition of these will map an x to (xN)2 and the codomain will be {1, -1}.

demonelite123 said:
i have tried mapping x to x^2 but then i2 = -1 so it is not in the kernal, x^4 would exclude -1 in the set {1, -1}. i have also tried mapping x to xN where N = {1, -1, i, -i} is a normal subgroup so there exists a natural homomorphism with N as its kernal. but that doesn't work since for instance when x = k we would get kN = {k, -k, -j, j} which is not the right codomain.

would this next map work? [itex] x \mapsto xN [/itex] where N = {1, -1, i. -i}, x is any member of Q, xN is a left coset, and N is a normal subgroup of Q. Then i map again: [itex] xN \mapsto (xN)^2 [/itex]. so the composition of these will map an x to (xN)2 and the codomain will be {1, -1}.

no because the map x→(xN)2 maps everything to the trivial group {N}, so its kernel is Q.

you were on the right track mapping x→xN, can you think of a way to create an isomorphism of Q/N with {-1,1}?

Deveno said:
no because the map x→(xN)2 maps everything to the trivial group {N}, so its kernel is Q.

you were on the right track mapping x→xN, can you think of a way to create an isomorphism of Q/N with {-1,1}?

ok so i know i can't square it since i would just get x2N = N which would be the identity. i was thinking earlier [tex] xN \mapsto x(xN) [/tex] but that just gives me N back again. what i want to do is to "kinda" square all the entries somehow in xN so that i get only 1 and -1 but i cannot figure out a mapping to help me do that.

how about [itex] xN \mapsto x^2 [/itex]? that way {1, -1, i, -i} = N maps to 1 and {j, -j, k, -k} = (k)^2 = -1

the map xN → x2 is not well-defined.

for x = i, we get N→i2 = -1
for x = 1. we get N→12 = 1

so we do not have a unique image for the coset N.

hm I'm really stumped on this. it's probably not that difficult but i just don't see it. can someone offer a hint or two?

re-read post #4.

if N = {1,-1,i,-i} then φ:Q→Q/N given by x→xN, has kernel N.

since Q/N and {-1,1} are both cyclic groups of order 2, there is an isomorphism between them, namely:

N→1
jN(= kN)→-1, if we call this isomorphism ψ, then ψφ is the desired homomorphism.

ah i didn't notice that they were cyclic groups! i was trying to come up with an explicit mapping between them (like a formula of some sort) but could not come up with one at all. this is my first time being exposed to these kind of ideas and i think I'm slowly starting to understand more of it. thanks for your help!

What does it mean for a subgroup to be the kernel of a homomorphism?

When a subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism, it means that all elements in the subgroup are mapped to the identity element in the codomain of the homomorphism.

How can you show that a subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism?

To show that a subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism, you can first prove that all elements in the subgroup are mapped to the identity element. Then, you can show that the subgroup is a subgroup of the domain of the homomorphism and that it contains the identity element.

What is the significance of a subgroup being the kernel of a homomorphism?

The kernel of a homomorphism is important because it allows us to identify the elements in the domain that are mapped to the identity element in the codomain. This can help us understand the structure of the group and its subgroups.

Can a subgroup be the kernel of more than one homomorphism?

Yes, a subgroup can be the kernel of multiple homomorphisms. This is because different homomorphisms can have the same identity element in their codomains, making the same subgroup the kernel for both.

How does showing that a subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism relate to other properties of groups?

Showing that a subgroup is the kernel of a homomorphism is related to other properties of groups, such as normality and quotient groups. The kernel of a homomorphism is a normal subgroup, and the quotient group of the homomorphism is isomorphic to the image of the homomorphism.