What can I use to solve a general matrix?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a matrix with 3 equations and 3 unknowns using either a calculator or a website. The example given is solved by substitution, but the recommended method is to use wolfram alpha or maxima.
VortexLattice
Hi guys!

I need to solve a matrix. I have 3 equations, 3 unknowns, straightforward stuff. And I know it's invertible (doing transformations for hamiltonian dynamics, so I know they made it invertible). I know my calculator and a ton of websites can easily solve any matrix with real coefficients, but here they are general variables.

Does anyone know a good website (or how to do it on the TI-83, or TI-89) that will do this?

For example, solving something like:

a*x + b*y = 3
ba*x + 4b*y = 5, finding x and y as functions of a and b.

Any good way?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is of the form M.X = S, so the solution is just [tex]M^{-1}.S[/tex] .

Wolfram alpha (http://www.wolframalpha.com) will solve this easily. The syntax is :

Inverse[{{a, b}, {a b, 4 b}}].{3,5}//Simplify

Try it!

VortexLattice said:
Hi guys!

I need to solve a matrix. I have 3 equations, 3 unknowns, straightforward stuff. And I know it's invertible (doing transformations for hamiltonian dynamics, so I know they made it invertible). I know my calculator and a ton of websites can easily solve any matrix with real coefficients, but here they are general variables.

Does anyone know a good website (or how to do it on the TI-83, or TI-89) that will do this?

For example, solving something like:

a*x + b*y = 3
ba*x + 4b*y = 5, finding x and y as functions of a and b.

Any good way?

Thanks!

You can solve the example by substitution. Solve the 1st equation for either x or y and substitute the result into the 2nd equation to solve for the other unknown. You'll end up with algebraic expressions for x and y in terms of a and b.

Phyzguy recommended wolfram alpha, which is a great option. Maxima is another option, possibly more clunky but I use it the most for computer algebra and arbitrary precision arithmetic:

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

enjoy,

jason

I would recommend using a computer software program such as MATLAB or Mathematica to solve a general matrix. These programs have built-in functions for solving matrices with variable coefficients and can handle more complex equations than a calculator or website. Additionally, they allow you to easily see the solution in terms of the variables a and b. If you are looking for a free option, there are also online matrix solvers that can handle general matrices, but they may not provide as much flexibility and accuracy as a dedicated software program.

1. What is a general matrix?

A general matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and data analysis to represent data or equations.

2. Why do I need to solve a general matrix?

Solving a general matrix allows you to find the solutions to a system of equations or to manipulate data in a meaningful way. It is a crucial tool in many fields of science and engineering.

3. What methods can I use to solve a general matrix?

There are several methods to solve a general matrix, including Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, and iterative methods like Jacobi or Gauss-Seidel. The best method to use depends on the specific matrix and your desired outcome.

4. Can I use software to solve a general matrix?

Yes, there are many software programs and libraries available that can solve general matrices quickly and accurately. Some popular options include MATLAB, Mathematica, and NumPy.

5. Are there any limitations to solving a general matrix?

While there are many methods and software available to solve general matrices, some matrices may be too large or complex for these methods to be practical. In these cases, alternative methods such as approximations or numerical methods may be used.