Solving a Related Rates Problem: Calculating Eva Wisnierska's Temperature Change

In summary, the problem asks for the rate of change in ambient temperature (in ◦F/min) when paraglider Eva Wisnierska was at 4000 feet, given that she was ascending at a speed of 3000 ft/min and the temperature at various heights was recorded. The given data suggests that the temperature was decreasing at a rate of -5.5 deg F/1000 ft between 2000 ft and 6000 ft. However, using only the two surrounding points in the data would provide a more accurate estimate.
oates151

Homework Statement

On February 16, 2007, paraglider Eva Wisnierska was caught in a freak thunderstorm over
Australia and carried upward at a speed of about 3000 ft/min. The table below gives the
temperature at various heights. Approximately how fast (in ◦F/min) was her ambient
temperature decreasing when she was at 4000 feet?
image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well here's where I've gotten.

I am not sure, but this problem looks like some sort of related rates problem. We known dy/dt is 3000 ft/min, but we need in deg F/min, so what I did is a simple slope calculation for the point 4000 ft by doing

(60-52)/(2-4) and getting -4 deg F/1000 ft

From here, I'm not exactly sure how to manipulate and get the rate that we need. Am I on the right track? What's next?

Thanks so much!

-Pat

Physics news on Phys.org

oates151 said:

Homework Statement

On February 16, 2007, paraglider Eva Wisnierska was caught in a freak thunderstorm over
Australia and carried upward at a speed of about 3000 ft/min. The table below gives the
temperature at various heights. Approximately how fast (in ◦F/min) was her ambient
temperature decreasing when she was at 4000 feet?
image.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well here's where I've gotten.

I am not sure, but this problem looks like some sort of related rates problem. We known dy/dt is 3000 ft/min, but we need in deg F/min, so what I did is a simple slope calculation for the point 4000 ft by doing

(60-52)/(2-4) and getting -4 deg F/1000 ft

From here, I'm not exactly sure how to manipulate and get the rate that we need. Am I on the right track? What's next?
I would use the two alt., temp. points on either side. Between 2000' and 4000' the temperature dropped 8 deg F., but between 4000' and 6000', the temperature drop was quite a bit more. You would get a better estimate by using the two surrounding points in your data.

I disagree that this is a related rates problem. As I see it, it's a problem about estimating the slope of a curve from a set of data.

Oh, I see. So on that case, in order to get a more accurate method, i'd calculate the slope between the two surrounding points which gets us -5.5 deg f/1000 ft.

Now, they want the units in in deg F/min. Since she's carried upward at 3000 ft/min and the temperature is decreasing at -5.5 deg f/1000 ft, then

(3000 ft/min)(-5.5 deg f/1000ft)= 3 x -5.5 /min = 36 x -5.5 = -198 in deg F/min ?

No, I don't think so. Her vertical speed is 3000 ft/min. She rose from 2000' to 6000' in 4000/3000 minutes, or 4/3 minute, during which time the temperature dropped 22 deg. F. That's NOT going to be a drop of 198 deg F per minute.

1. What is a related rates problem?

A related rates problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the rate at which one quantity is changing in relation to another. This type of problem often involves multiple variables and requires the use of calculus to solve.

2. How do you solve a related rates problem?

To solve a related rates problem, you must first identify the given variables and the variable that needs to be solved for. Then, use the given information to set up an equation that relates the two variables. Differentiate both sides of the equation with respect to time, and then plug in the given values to solve for the unknown rate.

3. Who is Eva Wisnierska and why is her temperature change important in this problem?

Eva Wisnierska is a German paraglider who survived a near-death experience while flying in a storm in Australia. Her temperature change is important in this problem because it serves as the given variable that needs to be related to and solved for in order to determine the rate at which her body temperature was changing during the storm.

4. What is the significance of using calculus in solving this problem?

Calculus is necessary in solving related rates problems because it allows us to find the rate of change of a variable with respect to time, which is essential in determining the relationship between two changing quantities. Without calculus, it would be challenging to accurately solve for the unknown rate in these types of problems.

5. Can this problem be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, related rates problems can be applied to various real-life situations, such as calculating the rate at which a population is growing, the speed of an object, or the rate of change of a chemical reaction. In the case of Eva Wisnierska's temperature change, this problem demonstrates how related rates can be used to analyze and understand the changes that occur in our bodies under extreme conditions.