University Physics by Young & Freedman - Self Study

In summary, the author is re-studying basic physics and calculus and is using the Stewart text, which he finds challenging. He is also using the Young and Freedman physics text which he finds basic. If the author were to continue his education, he would like to start out in the intro mechanics class. His background is in calculus-based physics.
truman
Am I being lulled by a basic text?

I am re-studying basic physics and calculus for a run at a physics degree. I am using the Stewart text for calculus and I find it challenging.

I am using the Young and Freedman physics text, and I find the calculus-based portions incredibly basic. I am afraid if I am not using a challenging enough text, I will be hit with a brick wall when I re-enroll at university.

Am I on the right course with this text?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you plan to start out in the intro mechanics class? What is your background?

xdrgnh said:
Do you plan to start out in the intro mechanics class? What is your background?

This. I think most schools start the core classes after calc based physics 2 (e&m / waves, opticks, motion).

I've only had calc based phyics, I&II. We did not do optics or relativity, just mechanics and some e&m, and motion.

I wanted to review those subjects, do optics and (basic) relativity, basically this whole text. I just don't want to get to a new school and instead of deriving a very basic formula, they're integrating some huge formula with CAS. I can figure that out, I just want to be prepared.

truman said:
I've only had calc based phyics, I&II. We did not do optics or relativity, just mechanics and some e&m, and motion.

I wanted to review those subjects, do optics and (basic) relativity, basically this whole text. I just don't want to get to a new school and instead of deriving a very basic formula, they're integrating some huge formula with CAS. I can figure that out, I just want to be prepared.

you'll be fine, email a professor or someone in the undergrad dept to be safe.

Most freshman physics texts are written with the expectation that students are taking calculus concurrently, i.e. they don't know much calculus the first few weeks. They start out very gently with the math, but it will ramp up.

If you go here
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-01-physics-i-fall-2003/syllabus/
you will see that Young and Freedman was used in the freshman physics class at MIT not very long ago. So assuming your school isn't a lot harder than MIT, you should be fine.

That site should also give you some good practice exams, and it also has video lectures (based on a different text, I think).

Last edited:

1. What is the best way to approach self-study of university physics?

The best way to approach self-study of university physics is to start by familiarizing yourself with the basic concepts and principles of physics. This can be done by reading the textbook carefully and completing practice problems. It is also helpful to supplement your learning with online resources, such as videos and interactive simulations.

2. How much time should I dedicate to self-study of university physics?

The amount of time you should dedicate to self-study of university physics depends on your personal learning style and level of understanding. However, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours per week reviewing material and completing practice problems. Additionally, it is important to regularly review previous concepts to ensure a strong foundation for future topics.

3. Can I effectively learn university physics through self-study without a formal classroom setting?

Yes, it is possible to effectively learn university physics through self-study without a formal classroom setting. However, it is important to be self-motivated, disciplined, and consistent in your studies. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor, study group, or online community to clarify any confusing concepts and receive feedback on your progress.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying university physics on my own?

Staying motivated while studying university physics on your own can be challenging, but there are a few strategies that can help. First, set realistic goals for yourself and track your progress. This can help you stay focused and motivated as you see yourself making progress. Additionally, try to find ways to make the material personally meaningful and interesting, such as relating it to real-world applications or connecting it to your other interests and passions.

5. What are some common challenges when studying university physics through self-study?

Some common challenges when studying university physics through self-study include staying motivated, understanding complex concepts, and finding resources for additional help. It is important to address these challenges by setting goals, seeking help from online resources or a tutor, and regularly reviewing material to solidify understanding. It is also helpful to break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces and to actively engage with the material through practice problems and interactive resources.