A problem about reduction of the order of a linear ODE

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if y1 is a solution to the ODE y'''+a2y''+a1y'+a0y=0, then the substitution y=uy1 reduces the order of the equation to a 2nd order linear ODE. The attempt at a solution involves calculating derivatives of y and using algebraic operations to obtain a new equation, but the third derivative of u remains. The suggestion is made to let v=u' and solve a second order equation, which the professor likely accepts as a solution. The conversation also briefly touches on using this method to find a third solution if two linearly independent solutions are known for the ODE.
AdrianZ

Homework Statement

Show that if y1 is a solution to the ODE y'''+a2y''+a1y'+a0y=0 then the substitution y=uy1 reduces the order of the equation to a 2nd order linear ODE.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I calculated first, second and third derivatives of y and plugged them in the equation and after cancellation and some tedious algebraic operations I obtained this new equation:
(3y1''+2a2y1'+ a1y1)u' + (3y1' + a2y1)u'' + u'''y1=0

Now I'm stuck and don't know what I should do next at this point. We still have the third derivative of u in the equation and I don't know how to cancel that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
AdrianZ said:

Homework Statement

Show that if y1 is a solution to the ODE y+a2y''+a1y'+a0y=0

The first term should be y'''.

then the substitution y=u1 reduces the order of the equation to a 2nd order linear ODE.
Presumably you mean y = uy1.

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I calculated first, second and third derivatives of y and plugged them in the equation and after cancellation and some tedious algebraic operations I obtained this new equation:
(3y1''+2a2y1'+ a1y1)u' + (3y1' + a2y1)u'' + u'''y1

Now I'm stuck and don't know what I should do next at this point. We still have the third derivative of u in the equation and I don't know how to cancel that.

I didn't work it all out but, assuming you have checked your work, you can just let v = u' and you will have a second order equation in v.

LCKurtz said:
The first term should be y'''.
Yes.

Presumably you mean y = uy1.
Yes.

I didn't work it all out but, assuming you have checked your work, you can just let v = u' and you will have a second order equation in v.

That's a good idea. but do you think the professor wanted us to do that at this step? I mean does he accept this as the solution to his problem?

Last edited:
AdrianZ said:
That's a good idea. but do you think the professor wanted us to do that at this step? I mean does he accept this as the solution to his problem?

Of course, you need an "= 0" on the right side to make it an equation. But yes, or course, you have reduced the problem of solving a 3rd order equation to one of solving a 2nd order equation.

LCKurtz said:
Of course, you need an "= 0" on the right side to make it an equation. But yes, or course, you have reduced the problem of solving a 3rd order equation to one of solving a 2nd order equation.

Fine. the next question asks me that If we have two linearly independent solutions y1,y2 for this ODE we can find the 3rd solution. Can I use the idea of order reduction from this problem to solve that? If yes, how?
Thanks for helping.

AdrianZ said:
Fine. the next question asks me that If we have two linearly independent solutions y1,y2 for this ODE we can find the 3rd solution. Can I use the idea of order reduction from this problem to solve that? If yes, how?
Thanks for helping.

I haven't ever tried that since it never comes up. My guess is that uy2 would lead to a second solution to your u equation allowing you to reduce it to a first order. So I expect the answer is yes. I guess all you can do is try it.

1. What is the purpose of reducing the order of a linear ODE?

The purpose of reducing the order of a linear ODE is to simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. This is especially useful when dealing with higher order ODEs, as it reduces the complexity of the problem.

2. How is the order of a linear ODE reduced?

The order of a linear ODE can be reduced by using a change of variables or by using specific techniques such as the method of undetermined coefficients or the method of variation of parameters.

3. What are the benefits of reducing the order of a linear ODE?

Reducing the order of a linear ODE can make it easier to solve and can also reveal important properties of the equation, such as its general solution or specific solutions for certain initial conditions.

4. Are there any limitations to reducing the order of a linear ODE?

Yes, there are limitations to reducing the order of a linear ODE. Some ODEs may not be able to be reduced using known techniques, and some reductions may lead to complex or non-elementary solutions.

5. Can the order of a linear ODE be reduced multiple times?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the order of a linear ODE multiple times, but it may not always lead to a simpler equation. It is important to carefully consider the purpose and limitations of each reduction before proceeding.