Conservation of energy, speed before case hits spring

In summary: U_g = K \\mgh = \frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}kx^2 \\12.9(9.81)(0.406\sin{27.2}) = \frac{1}{2}(12.9)v^2 + \frac{1}{2}(\frac{280}{2.12})(0.0596)^2 \\v = \sqrt{\frac{12.9(9.81)(0.406\sin{27.2}) - \frac{1}{2}(\frac{280}{2.12})(0.0596)^2}{\frac{1}{2}(12.9)}}
5.98e24

Homework Statement

A 12.9 kg case of bottled water is released from rest down a shipping ramp inclined 27.2° to the horizontal. At the base of the ramp, oriented parallel to its surface, is a spring that can be compressed 2.12 cm by a force of 280 N. The case of water moves down the ramp and compresses the spring by 5.96 cm. At what speed is the case moving just as it touches the spring?

Homework Equations

Ug = K

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the distance that the case travels to be 0.406m. I know this is correct.

Ug = Ek
0.406sin(27.2) * 9.81 = 1/2(v^2)
v = 1.91 m/s

This is wrong. what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it 1.65m/s?

grzz said:
Is it 1.65m/s?

Nope. :(

Sorry i meant to say 1.87m/s

grzz said:
Sorry i meant to say 1.87m/s

Not that either... :(

First use the information to solve for the constant of the spring:
[tex]
F = kx \\
280 = (2.12)k \Rightarrow k = \frac{280}{2.12}
[/tex]
Then use the work energy theorem to solve for the velocity of the water as it came in contact with the spring by setting its kinetic energy equal to the difference in the work done by gravity and by the spring in terms of the compression of the spring.

1. What is the conservation of energy?

The conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to a case hitting a spring?

When a case hits a spring, the energy of the case is transformed into the potential energy stored in the spring. This potential energy will then be converted back into kinetic energy as the spring pushes the case back out.

3. Why is the conservation of energy important in physics?

The conservation of energy is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of physical systems and understand the relationship between different forms of energy.

4. Does the speed of the case change before and after it hits the spring?

Yes, the speed of the case changes as it hits the spring. Before the collision, the case will have a higher speed (kinetic energy) which will decrease as it compresses the spring. After the collision, the case will have a lower speed due to the conversion of kinetic energy into potential energy stored in the spring.

5. Can the conservation of energy be violated?

No, the conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed cases. Any apparent violations can be explained by energy being transferred or transformed in ways that are not immediately obvious.