AC or DC: Which is the Right Mode for Oscilloscope Output in Comparators?

In summary, J-N was explaining that DC coupling is the best way to receive an AC signal on an oscilloscope. He said that it is impossible to see the character of the AC signal unless you use AC coupling, and that if you use DC mode then you will get a flat line at 4.5V.
shayaan_musta
Hello experts!

I am the student of electronics engineering.
I have an question related to AC and DC button in Oscilloscope.
When I am performing practical then I don't know whether I switch oscilloscope output to DC or AC mode. When I ask to teacher they don't give me any satisfaction for my question.

Let say I am performing a practical of comparators. So should I switch oscilloscope output AC or DC? and why?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That sets how the signal is coupled to the rest of the oscilloscope.

DC coupling will let all of the signal through, and display the exact value of the voltage on the screen.

AC coupling sends the signal through a high pas filter first to remove any DC component.

One application for AC coupling is if you have a small AC signal riding on top of a large DC offset. On DC coupling, it won't be easy to display since turning the V/DIV knob will send the signal off the screen. AC coupling removed the DC offet and centers the AC waveform around 0 so it's easier to see.

DC coupling would have to be used for slow changing signal.

Does that help.

Likes skrat
Thanks for answer.

But my question is still there. First I want to know in which mode we set oscilloscope during performing the practical of comparators. AC or DC. And why? How did you know that set an oscilloscope either in AC or DC for that particular practical? What is the basic key to this?

What type of signals would you say a Comparator produces?
What is it that you are expecting to see on the scope (AC or DC signals)?

Based on your answers to those questions, and everything J-N said, which type of setting do you think is appropriate?

@mdjensen22

We get an AC signal with high gain that is a saturated output on oscilloscope. And If it according to our setting then why my teacher said to switch it to DC rather than AC?
While in AC mode I was receiving a shifted level. But I know not both of them are correct results but just one is correct AC or DC. Why it is DC so?

shayaan_musta said:
@mdjensen22

We get an AC signal with high gain that is a saturated output on oscilloscope. And If it according to our setting then why my teacher said to switch it to DC rather than AC?
While in AC mode I was receiving a shifted level. But I know not both of them are correct results but just one is correct AC or DC. Why it is DC so?

You will almost always use DC coupling for your oscilloscope measurements. The case that Jiggy-Ninja mentioned is one of the rare times you would switch to AC coupling.

Just keep your oscilloscope on DC coupling for all of your lab work, and you should be fine.

Here is a set of oscilloscope tutorials from Tektronix:

http://www.tek.com/learning/oscilloscope-tutorial/?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=ppc,covtekggl110000000001990s

You have to register to download them, but they are free, and very useful.

As a specific example, I am using an FSK generator with a really small output; 100mV peak to peak. That's riding on top of a 4.5V DC offset from the chip itself. If I want to analyze that signal, DC coupling is impossible since the offset is 40 times greater than the signal. AC coupling is necessary.

Jiggy-Ninja said:
As a specific example, I am using an FSK generator with a really small output; 100mV peak to peak. That's riding on top of a 4.5V DC offset from the chip itself. If I want to analyze that signal, DC coupling is impossible since the offset is 40 times greater than the signal. AC coupling is necessary.

So as this is the case. If I use DC mode then what signal should I get? is this shifted? If so then how much?

shayaan_musta said:
So as this is the case. If I use DC mode then what signal should I get? is this shifted? If so then how much?

If you use DC mode on Jiggy-Ninja's signal, you will see a flat line at 4.5V, with maybe a little bit of fuzz on it (the AC part of the signal). You will not be able to see the character of the AC signal unless you can zoom in and adjust your DC offset to keep the signal centered on the screen, or unless you switch to AC coupling and zoom in.

OK. Now I have got my answer. Thanks for all of you friends. God bless you.

1. What is the difference between DC and AC in an Oscilloscope?

DC stands for Direct Current, which is a continuous flow of electric charge in one direction. AC stands for Alternating Current, which is a flow of electric charge that periodically reverses direction. In an oscilloscope, DC will display a flat line while AC will display a waveform.

2. Can an oscilloscope measure both DC and AC signals?

Yes, most oscilloscopes have the capability to measure both DC and AC signals. The user can select the appropriate input channel depending on the type of signal being measured.

3. Which type of signal is more commonly used in electronics?

AC signals are more commonly used in electronics because they are able to transmit power over long distances with less energy loss compared to DC signals.

4. How does an oscilloscope display DC and AC signals differently?

As mentioned earlier, DC signals will display as a flat line on the screen while AC signals will display as a waveform. The amplitude, frequency, and shape of the waveform will vary depending on the type of AC signal being measured.

5. Can an oscilloscope measure the voltage of both DC and AC signals?

Yes, an oscilloscope is able to measure the voltage of both DC and AC signals. It is important to set the correct voltage scale on the oscilloscope to accurately measure the voltage of the signal being tested.