Goos hänchen shift and phase shift

In summary, the conversation is about total internal reflection and the Goos Hanchen shift. The question is whether there is a phase shift due to the shift and how much energy is associated with the evanescent wave. It is clarified that the phase shift is equivalent to the lateral shift and that the energy associated with the evanescent wave is usually zero, but there is a possibility of photon tunneling.
taimoortalpur
Dear All,
I am confusing total internal reflection for a light wave traveling from denser medium to lower dense medium. I know we get lateral shift i.e. goos hänchen shift with total internal reflection, but Do we have phase shift due to goos hänchen shift with total internal reflection. Because the light travel in the less denser medium for some distance equal to lateral shift.

Secondly the lateral shift or goos hanchen shift is due to energy conservation and energy associated with evanescent wave in less denser medium. Can anybody tell me how much energy is associated with evanescent wave, as I remember its zero. If possible kindly refer some sources.

Many Thanks for your consideraion...

Physics news on Phys.org
The phase shift that occurs at the interface is equivalent to laterally shifting the light ray.

The Goos Hanchen shift occurs due to the boundary conditions at the interface between two media. Emitted energy due to a evanescent wave is usually zero, but is not implicitly zero since there is a possibility that a photon tunneling can occur such that occurs in Near-field Scanning Optical Microscopy.

Claude.

Many Thanks for your elaborate response. It cleared me the concept.

What is the Goos-Hänchen shift?

The Goos-Hänchen shift is a phenomenon in optics where a beam of light that strikes the interface between two media at an angle experiences a lateral displacement along the interface. This shift is caused by the reflection and refraction of the beam and can be observed in both reflection and transmission.

What is the phase shift in the Goos-Hänchen effect?

The phase shift in the Goos-Hänchen effect is the change in phase that occurs when a beam of light is reflected or transmitted at an interface between two media. This shift in phase is caused by the change in the optical path length of the beam due to its lateral displacement along the interface.

What factors affect the magnitude of the Goos-Hänchen shift?

The magnitude of the Goos-Hänchen shift is affected by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the refractive indices of the two media, and the wavelength of the light. The shift is also influenced by the polarization and coherence properties of the incident light.

What is the significance of the Goos-Hänchen effect in practical applications?

The Goos-Hänchen effect has various practical applications in optics and photonics. It is used in the design of optical devices such as interferometers, polarizers, and filters. The effect can also be utilized in sensing techniques, such as surface plasmon resonance, and in precision measurements of small displacements.

Can the Goos-Hänchen shift be manipulated or controlled?

Yes, the Goos-Hänchen shift can be manipulated by changing the angle of incidence, the properties of the media, or by using specific optical elements such as prisms or mirrors. This control over the shift can be utilized in various applications, such as beam steering and manipulation of the polarization state of light.