Fun Wave Eqn, Seperable Solution, Wave Guide

• Thread starter autobot.d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun Wave
In summary: Remember to apply the boundary conditions at x=0,a and y=0,b to get the final solution.In summary, to get to the ODE for the wave equation in a waveguide, we first start with the wave equation and assume a separable solution. Then, we simplify the equation by assuming k^{2} = \frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}. Next, we separate the variables and solve the resulting ODEs to get the final solution for \psi. Don't forget to apply the boundary conditions to get the complete solution. I hope this helps! Good luck with the rest of your problem.
autobot.d

Homework Statement

Boundaries at x=0,a y=0,b
This is a waveguide. w = angular frequency and k is the wavenumber.
Have the seperable solution to the wave equation.

[itex]\psi[/itex] = X(x)Y(y)e[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex]

Where w=c[itex]\sqrt{k^{2}+\pi^{2}\left(\frac{n^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{m^{2}}{a^{2}}\right)}[/itex]

I just need help with figuring out how to get this to an ODE and I should be able to figure out the boundary conditions. Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{xx}[/itex]+[itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{yy}[/itex]-[itex]\frac{1}{c^{2}}[/itex][itex]\psi[/itex][itex]_{tt}[/itex]=o

Plugging in

X''Ye[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] + Y''Xe[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] - k[itex]^{2}[/itex]XYe[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}[/itex]XYe[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex] = 0

Now dividing by XY and factoring out e[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex]

e[itex]^{i(kz-wt)}[/itex][itex][ \frac{X''}{X}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{Y''}{Y}[/itex] - k[itex]^{2}[/itex] + [itex]\frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}][/itex] = 0

Does k[itex]^{2}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}[/itex] necessarily?

Do I set [itex]\frac{X''}{X} = \alpha[/itex] and [itex]\frac{Y''}{Y} = \beta[/itex]
where [itex]\alpha , \beta[/itex] are constants and solve these ODE's. Doesn't seem to get me where I want to go though.

Any advice would be very awesome. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! It looks like you're on the right track. Let's break down the steps to get to the ODE and see if we can find a solution.

Step 1: Start with the wave equation

The wave equation is given by \psi_{xx}+\psi_{yy}-\frac{1}{c^{2}}\psi_{tt}=0. In this case, we are dealing with a wave in a waveguide, so we can assume that the wave is traveling in the z-direction and can be represented as \psi = X(x)Y(y)e^{i(kz-wt)}. Plugging this into the wave equation, we get:

X''Ye^{i(kz-wt)} + Y''Xe^{i(kz-wt)} - k^{2}XYe^{i(kz-wt)} + \frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}XYe^{i(kz-wt)} = 0

Now, we can divide by XY and factor out e^{i(kz-wt)} to get:

e^{i(kz-wt)}[ \frac{X''}{X} + \frac{Y''}{Y} - k^{2} + \frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}] = 0

Step 2: Simplify the equation

In order to simplify this equation, we can assume that k^{2} = \frac{w^{2}}{c^{2}}. This assumption is valid because in a waveguide, the wave travels at a constant speed c, so the relationship between the angular frequency w and the wavenumber k is given by w = ck. With this assumption, our equation becomes:

e^{i(kz-wt)}[ \frac{X''}{X} + \frac{Y''}{Y}] = 0

Step 3: Separating the variables

Now, we can set \frac{X''}{X} = \alpha and \frac{Y''}{Y} = \beta, where \alpha and \beta are constants. This will give us two separate ODEs to solve:

\frac{X''}{X} = \alpha

\frac{Y''}{Y} = \beta

Step 4: Solving the ODEs

Solving these ODEs will give us the solutions for X(x) and Y(y

1. What is the Fun Wave Equation?

The Fun Wave Equation is a mathematical equation used to describe the behavior of waves in various physical systems. It is a partial differential equation that takes into account factors such as time, position, and the properties of the medium in which the wave is traveling.

2. What is a Separable Solution in the context of the Fun Wave Equation?

A Separable Solution is a method used to solve the Fun Wave Equation by breaking it down into simpler, independent equations. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the behavior of waves in different systems.

3. What is a Wave Guide?

A Wave Guide is a physical structure that is designed to guide and confine waves within a certain area. It is commonly used in telecommunications, where it helps to direct and amplify electromagnetic waves such as radio or microwaves.

4. How is the Fun Wave Equation used in real-world applications?

The Fun Wave Equation is used in a wide range of fields, such as acoustics, optics, and fluid mechanics. It helps scientists and engineers understand and predict the behavior of waves in different systems, which is crucial for designing and optimizing technologies such as microchips, sonar systems, and medical imaging devices.

5. What are the limitations of the Fun Wave Equation?

While the Fun Wave Equation is a powerful tool for understanding wave behavior, it has some limitations. For example, it does not take into account factors such as non-linearity and turbulence, which can greatly affect the behavior of waves in certain systems. In these cases, more complex equations must be used to accurately describe the waves.