Coffee temperature and time of milk addition

In summary, Youri's coffee would be hotter than Saku's due to the temperature difference. This is because the rate of cooling is proportional to the temperature difference between the coffee surface and the surroundings. However, this can also depend on factors such as the amount of milk added and the rate of heat loss through different methods. Ultimately, the answer may vary depending on these variables.
asfd
Youri takes a coffee and adds some milk at room temperature to it.

Saku takes a black coffee and adds the same amount of milk but 10 minutes later.

Which coffee is the hotter and why?

I think that Youri's coffee would be hotter since the temperature variation is proportional to the temperature difference hence it'll cool down slower.

Science news on Phys.org
asfd said:
I think that Youri's coffee would be hotter
Right, because the rate of cooling is proportional to the temperature difference between the coffee surface and the surroundings (ignoring convection).

I think that the real answer is: it depends.

If you add lots of milk, then for sure the change of rate of cooling due to lower absolute temperature will dominate.

But if you add just a bit of milk to change the color of coffee, you might actually get it to cool slightly slower. That depends of course how much heat (percentage-wise) is lost through radiation from cup's walls, how much is lost through conduction to the table, how much goes out via convection, and how much is radiated from the top surface :) If there's a significant amount of heat lost due to radiation from the top surface, then making the coffee lighter will decrease radiated heat flux.

Cheers

I'd say if Youri's cofee was a few degrees less than it's boiling point, and Saku's was frozen at about 5 degrees kelvin, that Youri's would be hotter.

1. How does the temperature of coffee affect the taste?

The temperature of coffee can greatly impact its taste. Generally, hotter coffee tends to have a more bitter taste while cooler coffee may have a more acidic taste. This is because the temperature affects the extraction of different compounds in the coffee beans. For a well-balanced and flavorful cup of coffee, it is recommended to brew it between 195-205°F.

2. Does the time of milk addition affect the overall temperature of the coffee?

Yes, the time of milk addition can affect the overall temperature of the coffee. Adding cold milk to hot coffee will lower its temperature, while adding hot milk to hot coffee will maintain or increase its temperature. It is recommended to preheat the milk before adding it to the coffee to avoid a significant drop in temperature.

3. How long should I wait before adding milk to my coffee?

The ideal time to add milk to coffee varies depending on personal preference. Some people prefer to add milk right after brewing, while others prefer to let the coffee cool down a bit before adding milk. The general rule of thumb is to wait until the coffee is at a drinkable temperature before adding milk to avoid scalding the milk.

4. Can adding milk too early affect the taste of coffee?

Yes, adding milk too early can affect the taste of coffee. When milk is added to hot coffee, it undergoes a process called denaturation, which alters its flavor and texture. This can result in a less creamy and more watery taste. It is best to wait until the coffee has cooled down slightly before adding milk.

5. Does the type of milk used affect the overall temperature of the coffee?

Yes, the type of milk used can affect the overall temperature of the coffee. Different types of milk, such as whole milk, skim milk, and almond milk, have different boiling points and can affect the temperature of the coffee differently. It is important to consider the type of milk being added and its temperature when aiming for a specific coffee temperature.