A night with the stars (Brian Cox on telly)

• Thread starter dgwsoft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stars
In summary: Surely, if this were really the case, we should see a spectacular spectrum of light emission from all directions? Or perhaps some sort of interaction between the diamond and the electron?In summary, I thought Brian Cox's program on quantum mechanics last night was interesting but some of his explanations left me confused. I think his main aim was to show how entanglement follows from the Pauli exclusion principle, but I feel that it may have been an attempt to oversimplify the concept.
sheaf said:
Can I just check that my understanding of what Fredrik is proposing is correct:

What's happening is that when I perturb electron A, the energy eigenstates of the combined system of A and B change instantaneously, and the system begins evolving towards a new energy eigenstate, which it eventually settles down in. Whilst it's evolving, it's not in a stationary state.

So all that happens "instantaneously" is that the combined system now possesses a new energy eigenstate (stationary state).

Of course this isn't right - after the perturbation, the system would continue in a superposition of energy eigenstates until a measurement occurred wouldn't it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear all,

Let me add a bit more by way of clarification, because I think it's interesting. I've already posted a detailed analysis of the behaviour of a two proton - two electron system, and shown how the exclusion principle leads to a covalent bond in a Hydrogen molecule. Let me paste a couple of pages from my book The Quantum Universe - to save you having to buy it - and annotate it in a couple of places.

In the book, we do the double well as I posted previously.

This is how we describe the situation:

"It seems that we must conclude that the pair of identical electrons in two distant hydrogen atoms cannot have the same energy but we have also said that we expect the electrons to be in the lowest energy level corresponding to an idealised, perfectly isolated hydrogen atom. Both those things cannot be true and a little thought indicates that the way out of the problem is for there to be not one but two energy levels for each level in an idealised, isolated hydrogen atom. That way we can accommodate the two electrons without violating the Exclusion Principle. The difference in the two energies must be very small indeed for atoms that are far apart, so that we can pretend the atoms are oblivious to each other. But really, they are not oblivious because of the tendril-like reaches of the Pauli principle: if one of the two electrons is in one energy state then the other must be in the second, different energy state and this intimate link between the two atoms persists regardless of how far apart they are.
This logic extends to more than two atoms – if there are 24 hydrogen atoms scattered far apart across the Universe, then for every energy state in a single-atom universe there are now 24 energy states, all taking on almost but not quite the same values. When an electron in one of the atoms settles into a particular state it does so in full “knowledge” of the states of each of the other 23 electrons, regardless of their distance away. And so, every electron in the Universe knows about the state of every other electron. We need not stop there – protons and neutrons are fermions too, and so every proton knows about every other proton and every neutron knows about every other neutron. There is an intimacy between the particles that make up our Universe that extends across the entire Universe. It is ephemeral in the sense that for particles that are far apart the different energies are so close to each other as to make no discernable difference to our daily lives.

This is one of the weirdest-sounding conclusions we’ve been led to so far in the book. Saying that every atom in the Universe is connected to every other atom might seem like an orifice through which all sorts of holistic drivel can seep. But there is nothing here that we haven’t met before. Think about the square well potential we thought about in Chapter 6. The width of the well determines the allowed spectrum of energy levels, and as the size of the well is changed, the energy level spectrum changes. The same is true here in that the shape of the well inside which our electrons are sitting, and therefore the energy levels they are allowed to occupy, is determined by the positions of the protons. If there are two protons, the energy spectrum is determined by the position of both of them. And if there are 1080 protons forming a universe, then the position of every one of them affects the shape of the well within which 1080 electrons are sitting. There is only ever one set of energy levels and when anything changes (e.g. an electron changes from one energy level to another) then everything else must instantaneously adjust itself such that no two fermions are ever in the same energy level.

The idea that the electrons “know” about each other instantaneously sounds like it has the potential to violate Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. Perhaps we can build some sort of signalling apparatus that exploits this instantaneous communication to transmit information at faster-than-light speeds. This apparently paradoxical feature of quantum theory was first appreciated in 1935, by Einstein in collaboration with Boris Podolsky and Nathan Rosen; Einstein called it “spooky action at a distance” and did not like it. It took some time before people realized that, despite its spookiness, it is impossible to exploit these long-range correlations to transfer information faster than the speed of light and that means the law of cause and effect can rest safe.

This decadent multiplicity of energy levels is not just an esoteric device to evade the constraints of the Exclusion Principle. In fact, it is anything but esoteric because this is the physics behind chemical bonding. It is also the key idea in explaining why some materials conduct electricity whilst others do not and, without it, we would not understand how a transistor works."

We then go on to 3 wells, and then to 10^23 or so - which is the situation in small lump of silicon - and show that this multiplication of very closely-spaced energy levels, (correction added - the occupation of which is governed by) the Pauli principle, is the origin of the conduction and valance bands - i.e. the key to understanding how transistors work (which we also describe).

I'll admit that we just state that causality is preserved without proof in the book. The notion of causality in quantum field theory is actually a tricky one - there is a large literature on it if you do a search on Spires. But the description of the Universe as a single potential well, with an associated energy level spectrum, is surely valid unless one introduces new physics, which is not mandated by experiment - and I remind you that this rather counter-intuative picture is necessary at a macroscopic level (admittedly transistor-sized and not universe-sized) in order to understand the conduction and valence bands in semiconductors.

The more "presentational" question posed by some on the forum - namely that one shouldn't say that everything is connected to everything else for fear of misinterpretation - is interesting. In my view, the interpretation of quantum theory presented above is not only valid, but correct in the absence of new physics - and therefore everything IS connected to everything else. I was very careful to point out in the lecture that this does not allow any woo woo garbagee into the pantheon of the possible, as I think I phrased it.

My general position is that when communicating with the public we shouldn't spend our time triangulating off nutters. I'm having to deal with this in spades in my current series, Wonders of Life, where it is tempting to try to give creationists no ammunition at all by avoiding areas of doubt when describing the origin of life and the evolution of complex life on Earth. My strategy is to ignore such concerns, because these people shouldn't occupy any of our time! If we tried to take account of every nob head on the planet, we wouldn't have time to make the programs or write the books.

Brian

By the way Fredrik - your criticism of Brian Greene stating that "everything has a speed c through spacetime" is utterly misplaced. This is in lecture number one of every good undergraduate course on special relativity - completely correct and not in the least misleading. Look at the metric and work it out for yourself!

I think discussions of the type going on here may be avoided if science popularisers put even greater emphasis on the fact that theories are not necessarily absolute immutable truths.Perhaps a lesser emphasis on statements that can be interpreted as "this is how it is" and greater emphasis on statement that can be interpreted as "this is the way current theories show how it could be".
As a general observation it was a great programme,both fun and educational.The AS and A level physics students I know found a lot of the content to be useful and relevant to their studies and even more importantly it whetted their appetites for the subject even more.

Last edited:
Hi Brian (becox)

Your argument is true in a finite universe with finite and conserved energy, but it might be problematic to apply it to an infinite expanding universe.

And not everyone believes in a global wavefunction of the universe.

But I do :-)

(btw I wish you'd used Gene Wilder's original version of 'Pure Imagination' at the end of your (cool) 'Wonders of the Universe' series)

becox said:
By the way Fredrik - your criticism of Brian Greene stating that "everything has a speed c through spacetime" is utterly misplaced. This is in lecture number one of every good undergraduate course on special relativity - completely correct and not in the least misleading. Look at the metric and work it out for yourself!
A lot of my criticism of him was utterly misplaced, because in one of these threads, someone quoted Wikipedia, and I thought it was a Brian Greene quote. I stand by my comments about the quote, but I regret that I didn't make sure I knew where the quote was from.

What Greene means when he says that everything has speed c through spacetime is that the "magnitude" of the four-velocity vector is c. I'm certainly not denying that four-velocity is a useful concept, or that the magnitude of every four-velocity vector is c, but I reject the idea that the value of its magnitude can be used to explain things. The four-velocity vector is defined as the vector with magnitude c in the direction of the tangent of the world line, so the observation that its magnitude is c is hardly a profound insight.

It's not misleading to mention that the magnitude of the four-velocity is c, but it's misleading to suggest that this is the reason why there's such a thing as time dilation.

Last edited:
unusualname said:
Hi Brian (becox)

Your argument is true in a finite universe with finite and conserved energy, but it might be problematic to apply it to an infinite expanding universe.

And not everyone believes in a global wavefunction of the universe.

But I do :-)

(btw I wish you'd used Gene Wilder's original version of 'Pure Imagination' at the end of your (cool) 'Wonders of the Universe' series)

nice to see you back. please check your PM.

becox said:
This is how we describe the situation:
"… And so, every electron in the Universe knows about the state of every other electron. ..
… There is only ever one set of energy levels and when anything changes (e.g. an electron changes from one energy level to another) then everything else must instantaneously adjust itself such that no two fermions are ever in the same energy level…."
Brian
Interesting… However, you are talking about extremely small energy variations, so I wonder about that “instantaneously”… Indeed, as far as I understand, one cannot measure energy instantaneously with good accuracy. “Energy measurement time” times “energy measurement accuracy” should be at least of the order of the Plank constant. So I am not sure talking about an accurate value of energy within a limited time frame (let alone in terms of “instantaneously”) makes much sense, and my take is somewhat different: an electron at a distant star does not have to know anything about an electron on Earth instantaneously. True, in a million years it will have to “adjust itself”, but not before. The situation is similar to that with the Coulomb law: an electron at a distant star can indeed “feel” an electron on Earth, but not instantaneously.

becox said:
Dear all,

Let me add a bit more by way of clarification, because I think it's interesting. I've already posted a detailed analysis of the behaviour of a two proton - two electron system, and shown how the exclusion principle leads to a covalent bond in a Hydrogen molecule. Let me paste a couple of pages from my book The Quantum Universe - to save you having to buy it - and annotate it in a couple of places.

Brian

Thanks for posting that, Brian. Your book was in my Christmas stocking this morning so I will read it before commenting further. (I also have The Grand Design by Stephen Hawing, and Hubble: Window on the Universe, so its a scientific Christmas for me!)

One thing that I haven't seen anyone saying in this thread is that by just being bound to different atoms (especially if these are separated by a huge distance), the states of two electrons are almost perpendicular (a more exact word for being distinct).

The only thing I can see that Brian Cox has shown in the Double Well calculations is that there are two "ground states" with somewhat different energies. But this says nothing about what happens when energy is added to the system!

The other electrons will only have to adjust their energies if you can inject such an amount of energi that one electron will go to an occupied state. But is that really possible? Perhaps you can only add such an amount of energy that the electron will go to a non-occupied state; then the other electrons won't have to adjust.

To me there seems a world of difference between electrons associated with a fixed crystal lattice, whose atoms are obviously interacting (in some way that as an engineer and not a physicist I don't claim to understand) and electrons in material separated by a billion light years.
I see this as a lead up to a possible experiment where Professor Cox says, "Right, you guys watch this detector while I take the million dollar diamond up the street to rub it." and he's never seen again!

There is no real difference between electrons associated with a fixed crystal lattice and electrons separated by a billion light years. They all have to be in different states. And the states are universal.

md2perpe said:
There is no real difference between electrons associated with a fixed crystal lattice and electrons separated by a billion light years. They all have to be in different states. And the states are universal.

Can you explain that a bit more, obviously without using the words Pauli exclusion principle, use of which I believe would be called a tautology?
More specifically can you explain how Professor Cox rubbing his diamond in London can affect electrons where you are, let alone on the other side of the universe?

ColinW said:
md2perpe said:
There is no real difference between electrons associated with a fixed crystal lattice and electrons separated by a billion light years.
The electrons don't know if they are bound or free; they (rather: their wave functions) merely adjust to potentials. The wave functions cover all of universe but their amplitudes are differently distributed. For electron bound to a lattice, the amplitude is high inside the lattice, but low almost directly outside of it.

ColinW said:
md2perpe said:
They all have to be in different states. And the states are universal.
Can you explain that a bit more, obviously without using the words Pauli exclusion principle, use of which I believe would be called a tautology?
Since this is the Pauli exclusion principle and it's not valid for all types of particles, I cannot explain this without reference to the Pauli exclusion principle.

ColinW said:
More specifically can you explain how Professor Cox rubbing his diamond in London can affect electrons where you are, let alone on the other side of the universe?
No, I can't. I don't agree with Prof. Cox. I do agree that states are universal, but not that adding energy would force all electrons to adjust.

My apologies. When I said "difference" I meant difference between the situations, not difference between the electrons.
I am actually quite happy to accept the Pauli exclusion principle (although I can't really understand it) and I accept its implications with regard to things like semiconductor energy bands. There is enough evidence for me to see that something is clearly happening and PEP is as good an explanation as any.
It was Professor Cox's universal (and apparently instantaneous) electron shuffling that I can't accept.

So, in summary.. it isn't instantaneous?

In my view no distant adjustments are even needed, so there's no question "is it instantaneous?"

gibbson_e said:
So, in summary.. it isn't instantaneous?

You'd think it is instantaneous. If the particles in question followed the exclusion principle, one particle jumps into a new state currently occupied by another particle, then the other particle would need to jump to another state to satisfy the principle. At no point should the two particles share the same state.

StevieTNZ said:
You'd think it is instantaneous. If the particles in question followed the exclusion principle, one particle jumps into a new state currently occupied by another particle, then the other particle would need to jump to another state to satisfy the principle. At no point should the two particles share the same state.

I respectfully disagree for reasons given in post 44 in this thread - I am not sure energy can be well defined at some point in time. So if the energy is not quite definite, you cannot say with certainty that the two particles are in the same state.

becox said:
Dear all,

There is an intimacy between the particles that make up our Universe that extends across the entire Universe. It is ephemeral in the sense that for particles that are far apart the different energies are so close to each other as to make no discernable difference to our daily lives.

Brian

But the fact that these differences become effectively unmeasurable for systems being considerably far appart is formalized under the name "cluster decomposition principle" and occupies quite a fundamental position in quantum field theory. Explicitly it is used to rule out quantum field theories with other statistics like multidimensional or projective representations of the permutation symmetry group (see e.g. "quantum field theory" by S. Weinberg).
From that point of view the Fermi and Bose statistics are the only statistics which lead to the notion of independent systems at large distances due to the exponential fall off of energy level splittings below not only any practical level of precision relevant for our daily lives but below any imaginable level however small we may choose it.

#58 provides a resolution in terms of exponential fall off with distance of energy level splittings. This still seems to imply there is iaaad (instantaneous action at a distance) but it gets too feeble to matter. Consider the following as a possible counterexample to iaaad. Suppose we have a normally conducting two-wire TL (transmission line), shorted at both ends A and B. End A is magnetically linked to a small coil energized with a near instantaneous voltage pulse. By transformer action we expect an induced emf that travels the length of the TL at near light speed as a voltage-current pulse. We do not expect the far end B to know anything about the event at A until the pulse arrives. What though if the TL is wholly superconducting - all superconducting Cooper paired electrons share the single ground state wavefunction. So if there is any spooky aaad going on, B should somehow be instantly effected by event at A, right? But that would break the taboo of instantaneous communication. So what kind of iaaad can be going on in this situation that physically means anything at all?

I think one possible path out of the morass of worrying about whether all the electrons in the universe are "instantaneously" connected is to simply notice that there is really no requirement for us to imagine that there is any such thing as "all the electrons in the universe", as independent real entities. If we imagine they are independently real but indistinguishable, we have to wonder how they can be somehow connected to each other. But it seems to me, the whole point of indistinguishability is that the particles are not actually separate objects in the first place. So, they are connected by virtue of not being different, rather than by virtue of being different but indistinguishable.

Let's see this by turning the question around-- instead of thinking about a bunch of electrons, and ask what states they are in, let's start by thinking about a bunch of states, and asking whether or not they are occupied by an electron. In other words, let's treat the states, and their presence or absence of occupation, as what is real, rather than the electrons (all we need to know about the electrons is how many there are, a separate constraint on the reality of the states). Since the electrons are indistinguishable, when we ask "is this state occupied by an electron", we never need to ask "which electron", only yes or no is it occupied.

Now if we asked, is the occupation of one state "connected to" the occupation of the other states, we would have to say yes-- there are only so many electrons to go around, so every state that is occupied reduces the access of every other state to electrons. Hence if I measure a particular energy state as being occupied by an electron in some star, let's say, and if all the states have nondegenerate energies, then this measurement will affect the expected occupation number of every other state in that star because that information has changed the environment of all those electrons in some very small way. Without getting into the possible distinctions between what is actually real and what we can know about what is actually real, we have to allow that when our description of the reality changes instantaneously, then for all scientific purposes, the reality itself has changed instantaneously. Certainly no other observer will get a contradictory result to that, because our conception of the full reality must include all the experiences of the observers everywhere. So when one person rubs a diamond, the reality is instantaneously different, and it is instantaneously different everywhere because it is all one thing, but this cannot be used to send signals or propagate "effects" faster than c.

Last edited:
While the example given in #59 obeyed BE statistics (in particular a BE condensate), not FD stats as per becox's rubbed diamond. the issue is whether a commonly shared wavefunction changes instantly in any physically real manner. Suppose the exciting coil at A received a step current; then the superconducting TL is obliged to *finally* exhibit a reverse current that exactly cancels any magnetic flux linkage from the coil. Although all Cooper pairs will then continue to occupy the ground state following magnetic linkage with the coil at end A, the wavefunction state is different before vs after - a magnetically linked SQUID detector at B will indicate a change in phase etc. Point was the system as a whole surely settles into the new configuration no differently than a notionally classically perfectly conducting TL - there is a continuous train of reflected pulses that typically decays quasi-exponentially with time. I see no possibility of any instantaneous linkage of any kind between ends A and B - despite the shared single wavefunction.

In #60 Ken G argues that the answer is to see the universe as a kind of "Bohmian whole" (my interpretation!) where electrons have no independent existence - yet the final upshot being yes, there is instantaneous linkage but no instantaneous signalling results. Cannot see that thinking in terms of state occupancy rather than electrons occupying states changes the issue materially - we are still left with an untestable hypothesis of instantaneous linkage (akhmeteli's comments in #44 and #57 are relevant to the notion of 'instantaneous'). In what way exactly is the scenario in #59 and elaborated above an invalid counterexample? Seems to me that change to that single supercurrent wavefunction has to be negotiated among the constituent Cooper pairs over an extended time interval, in accordance with SR causality.

Ken G said:
instead of thinking about a bunch of electrons, and ask what states they are in, let's start by thinking about a bunch of states, and asking whether or not they are occupied by an electron.
That's how I think about it.

md2perpe said:
Ken G: "instead of thinking about a bunch of electrons, and ask what states they are in, let's start by thinking about a bunch of states, and asking whether or not they are occupied by an electron."
That's how I think about it.
Hmm...two gamma ray photons anti-annihilate to create an electron-positron pair. So am I to believe the wavefunctions of said freshly created pair instantly span the entire universe - which btw some cosmologists believe to be many orders of magnitude larger than the horizon limited ~ 13.7 bly portion visible to us. If not, how exactly can the totality of all states be truly universal and instantaneously adjustable? Such questions probably just shows how little I know of QM.

Q-reeus said:
... how exactly can the totality of all states be truly universal and instantaneously adjustable? ...

Is there any reason we shouldn't think of it in the same way that a state for an entangled EPR-style pair of particles can span vast distances, but still lack the capability for FTL signalling ?

sheaf said:
Is there any reason we shouldn't think of it in the same way that a state for an entangled EPR-style pair of particles can span vast distances, but still lack the capability for FTL signalling ?
This is heading into territory I tend to avoid. Whatever the nature of entanglement truly is, it is integral to such Bell type tests and typically involves just two particles. A far cry surely from the scenario of instantaneous adjustment of all FD electron states throughout the universe - there is afaik no suggestion of universal entanglement. We know that the still dream of quantum computing is plagued with the problem of just how delicate entanglement is and how exponentially sensitive it is to the number of entangled states. Anyway would like some expert feedback on the superconducting TL scenario - I remain sceptical to 'instantaneous' in general.

Q-reeus said:
This is heading into territory I tend to avoid. Whatever the nature of entanglement truly is, it is integral to such Bell type tests and typically involves just two particles. A far cry surely from the scenario of instantaneous adjustment of all FD electron states throughout the universe - there is afaik no suggestion of universal entanglement. We know that the still dream of quantum computing is plagued with the problem of just how delicate entanglement is and how exponentially sensitive it is to the number of entangled states. Anyway would like some expert feedback on the superconducting TL scenario - I remain sceptical to 'instantaneous' in general.

Yes, most discussions of entangled states are concerned with EPR scenarios and involve just a pair of particles. But isn't it true that multiparticle states, for example states describing a system with many electrons, are antisymmetrized products of single particle states, and these are entangled. I'm assuming that the definition of an entangled state is something I can't separate into a tensor product of single particle states. That certainly applies to the multi-electron state doesn't it ?

I guess the question is - would you always describe a multi electron system by an antisymmetric product like that ? If I create an electron at x1 and create a second electron at x2 and have (maybe effectively) an infinite barrier such that they can't interact (i.e. their wavefunctions can't overlap), then I wouldn't describe the system by an antisymmetric state - it would be a separable system. But if they're not separated, they can interact in principle, and then I do have to use the entangled state.

What I'm not sure is how relativity comes into this. I guess it's something to do with cluster decomposition, which someone mentioned earlier - I'll have to read up on that.

sheaf said:
Yes, most discussions of entangled states are concerned with EPR scenarios and involve just a pair of particles. But isn't it true that multiparticle states, for example states describing a system with many electrons, are antisymmetrized products of single particle states, and these are entangled. I'm assuming that the definition of an entangled state is something I can't separate into a tensor product of single particle states. That certainly applies to the multi-electron state doesn't it ?
Well I know of that definition re tensor product inseparability, but was unaware it applied to say electronic states in the metallic state in general. However your view appears to be backed up by the following passage from: 'Spin Entangled Systems' http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=spin-entangled%20electrons%20in%20solid-state%20systems&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CD0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheorie.physik.uni-konstanz.de%2Fburkard%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fpdf%2Feent_web.pdf&ei=Zzr_TuaMAq-QiQfu6_GhAQ&usg=AFQjCNGQvkNSUYRhPPjrhu7SUe_3sN1CCA&cad=rja
"Entanglement is not uncommon in solid-state systems. On the contrary, entanglement is the rule rather than the exception in the low-energy states (say, the ground state) of inter-acting many-particle systems. However, such “generic” entangled states are not necessarily useful for quantum information processing. A criterion for the usefulness as a resource is that there must be a realizable physical mechanism to extract and separate a “standard” pair of entangled particles such as the EPR pair in Eq. (1) from the many-body system in such a way that the two particles can be used for quantum communication. This is often complicated by the indistinguishability of the particles: in this case, a state that “looks entangled” when written out in first quantized notation might not be entangled in an operational sense (i.e., there may not be any physical procedure that separates the particle while maintaining their entanglement). Mathematically, this is related to the fact that the Hilbert space for several identical particles is not a tensor product when proper antisymetrization is taken into account. Measures of entanglement which take into account the indistinguishability of particles have been introduced"

Given the role of environmental decoherence, I can only imagine such condensed matter entanglements are fleetingly made and broken, but will leave it to the experts.

So far I'm not sure just what conclusions to reach, so
A few questions:

1]What is the 'proof' that becox refers to in the film segment: That in 1967 a consequence of the Pauli exclusion principle was proved that no two electrons anywhere in the universe can be in precisely the same energy levels….

2] Why should we believe the model referenced by becox actually applies to the universe? For example, does an infinite potential well correctly model our universe?

3] Someone said this is a non relativistic QM model? Is that important? How would a relativistic version differ?

4] I thought that there are problems with defining the energy of the gravitational field in general relativity, as one complicating factor [so many physicists prefer to say that energy is not globally conserved in GR]...given that, how can anyone conclude there is any likelihood of electrons being in the same energy state throughout the universe.

As a side observation, I do like models such as this because they do cause us to think about thing in new ways. So even if a particular model doesn't pan out, the thinking accompanying it could well lead to new insights and new approaches.

Last edited:
Q-reeus said:
In what way exactly is the scenario in #59 and elaborated above an invalid counterexample? Seems to me that change to that single supercurrent wavefunction has to be negotiated among the constituent Cooper pairs over an extended time interval, in accordance with SR causality.
I can agree that no wavefunction can change instantaneously if it would allow FTL communication if it did so. But there are many types of wavefunctions that can change instantaneously without allowing FTL communication. I don't see the wavefunction as a unique entity, I see it as a tool in the head of a physicist. Thus, two physicists can use two different wavefunctions in the same situation and still both be "correct", in the limited sense that "correctness" appears in physics. So one physicist's wavefunction might change instantaneously everywhere, even when a physicist outside their light cone might use the previous wavefunction, and both might get consistent results. So the rule for objectivity is not that everyone lives in the same reality, it is that no two observers' realities can be inconsistent with each other. This also means that "complete information" does not imply a unique description of the reality, it merely implies access to all the information that is locally available to that observer in principle. The locality of the information is what preserves causality.

Ken G said:
I can agree that no wavefunction can change instantaneously if it would allow FTL communication if it did so. But there are many types of wavefunctions that can change instantaneously without allowing FTL communication. I don't see the wavefunction as a unique entity, I see it as a tool in the head of a physicist. Thus, two physicists can use two different wavefunctions in the same situation and still both be "correct", in the limited sense that "correctness" appears in physics. So one physicist's wavefunction might change instantaneously everywhere, even when a physicist outside their light cone might use the previous wavefunction, and both might get consistent results. So the rule for objectivity is not that everyone lives in the same reality, it is that no two observers' realities can be inconsistent with each other. This also means that "complete information" does not imply a unique description of the reality, it merely implies access to all the information that is locally available to that observer in principle. The locality of the information is what preserves causality.
This may be a consistent worldview but leaves me dissatisfied. At the end of the day, we are still left with the need for instantaneous influence no matter how spatially separated (or does a cosmic horizon set the limit?). If it can be shown transistors would not work without truly instantaneous state adjustments, then perhaps there is no choice but to accept. Decided to actually watch becox's expose tonight - especially the bit about instant adjustment of energy levels universe wide. There is no way known such a claim/theory can ever be observationally confirmed to that level. Assuming though for the moment it is actually correct, the only half-way rational worldview I'm familiar with that then makes sense is the Cramer transactional interpretation. If I have it right it implies basically a kind of grand conspiracy where every single interaction is prenegotiated from the very beginning (how much information can be crammed into a 'point singularity' again?). Which presumably also tallies with the block universe concept. Not my cup of tea.
Anyway - best for new year to all.