The human process 11 trillion bits per second

In summary: It is difficult to accurately estimate how much information the human has stored in his/her memory. However, based on Nick Herbert's calculations, we process 11 trillion bits per second. This number is likely low, as Nick believes that the human eye is capable of processing 125 million bits per second. Therefore, if we assume that the brain stores information in an analogous fashion to a computer, then we can estimate that our computer would need to be at least 10 times as large as what we have currently in order to process the same amount of information.
bobsmith76
I'm trying to figure out how many bits of information the human has stored in his mind. I personally believe that information is not stored in atoms in the person's brain but is stored in an immaterial realm and the information is not made of material. We can talk about whether or not that's true in a philosophy forum if you want. Nick Herbert in the elemental mind
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0452272459/?tag=pfamazon01-20
calculates that we process 11 trillion bits per second. I think this is a low ball number because he thinks our eyes are processing 125 million bits per second, but that's not true because we have 125 million rods/cones and each one is being hit by several photons per second and moreover we can distinguish 8 million different colors so you would need an I don't know how many bit system to distinguish 8 million different colors.

Whatever the number is I think what can definitely be answered here is the ratio of the size computer processor one has to how much information it can process per second. For example my computer has a 160 gig harddrive and it can download 3 megs per second, that's (1.6 * 10^11)/(3*10^6) which is about 10^5.

I'm thinking that if we can get a rough idea of what the ratio of processor size to processing per second is we can get a small idea of the magnitude of the problem. Of course things with the mind might be entirely different.

So my question here is just how much larger do computers have to be if they are to process x bits per second?

My general thesis will be that if we can show that a human has more than about 10^17 bits in their memory then that would prove that information is not material. We only have 4 * 10^10 neurons and at most 5 * 10^14 synapses so it's hard to justify where this information would be located in the brain.

Computer science news on Phys.org
we can distinguish 8 million different colors
This sounds surprisingly close to the 16,777,216 different colors that a PC monitor and video card can display at the setting of True Color.

Perhaps your computer can distinguish color number 234,568 from 234,569 but I cannot.
My eyes are just not that sensitive and my brain processing capabilities fail there also.

At the High Color setting the output is 65,536 different colors, and most people do not notice any difference in a picture displayed at High Color from True Color.

But truth be told, I can see an unlimited number of colors far greater than 8 million.

Be a little wary when trying to digitize the brain function in the same way that a typical computer processes information.

bobsmith76 said:
I personally believe that information is not stored in atoms in the person's brain but is stored in an immaterial realm
For the sake of being able to answer your question I will have to pretend you did not say that.

calculates that we process 11 trillion bits per second.
If we assume that the brain is an analog system then there is no absolute answer. We can suggest to say how much data we need to process to replicate the phenomenon to high accuracy. I'll assume an analog nature due to the modulatory behavior of the synaptic cleft, however because the space is so small there is likely a quantization of the degree of resistivity (small number of molecules), in this sense it may be true that there could be a reasonable 1:1 numerical correspondence, although other contributing factors to synaptic potential such as the size of the synapse and it's location would likely suggest that the representation of it's weight should be continuous.

If I represent the 100 Trillion synapses with 4 Byte floats, that's 400 Terabytes of data. If I assume that < 10% of the synapses need to be updated within one second that's 40TB or 320 trillion bits. In this regard I'm just about within an order of magnitude in the estimation.

The problem is however that I don't know

#1. How rapidly synaptic weights can be modified in a biological brain.

#2. The number of time-steps per second to achieve accurate integration. The number of calculations that need to be undergone to update a single synapse would likely be far larger than what the synapse contains due to the numerical simulation required to acquire the modulatory behavior of the synapse. If the temporal model of the brain can be simplified to some sort of discretized representations such as in artificial neural networks then this becomes much easier to analyze, however at this point in time it is unknown what are the ultimate functional relevancies of the working brain.

If I were then to assume something on the order of 100 integration steps per second I would come to a rough conclusion that on the upper end of the estimate about 40 Petaflops of processing power would be required.

bobsmith76 said:
My general thesis will be that if we can show that a human has more than about 10^17 bits in their memory then that would prove that information is not material.
Good luck with your thesis. I suspect you will have a very difficult task ahead of you.

Dear Bobsmith76 I found this article which might help to answer your questions.
h t t p : // ergo. human. cornell. edu/ studentdownloads/ DEA3250pdfs / hip. pdf

Best of lucks,

I would recommend reading the book "The Singularity is Near" by Ray Kurzweil if he is interested in the topic of the capacities of the human brain and the comparison to computers.

Agree, the singularity is near is highly recommended.
bests.

What is "The human process 11 trillion bits per second"?

The human process 11 trillion bits per second refers to the estimated speed at which the human brain processes information. This is equivalent to 11 million bits per millisecond.

How is this speed measured?

Scientists use various methods, such as functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and electroencephalography (EEG), to measure brain activity and determine the speed at which the brain processes information.

What factors can affect this processing speed?

The processing speed of the human brain can be affected by various factors, such as age, health, and cognitive abilities. Additionally, external factors such as distractions and stress can also impact the brain's processing speed.

How does this compare to other animals?

The human brain's processing speed is significantly faster than most other animals. However, some animals, such as dolphins and primates, also have high processing speeds that are comparable to humans.

Can this speed be improved?

The brain's processing speed can be improved through various methods, such as regular exercise, proper nutrition, and mental exercises. However, the brain's processing speed is also limited by its physical structure and cannot be drastically increased beyond its natural capacity.