Mechanical engineering if you hated Physics I (Mechanics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between liking Physics I (Mechanics & Waves) and enjoying mechanical engineering, as well as the connection between enjoying Physics II (Electricity & Magnetism) and pursuing electrical engineering. It also explores how different courses can reflect into various engineering disciplines, such as programming for software engineering and electrical circuits and machines for electrical engineering. The speakers also share their personal experiences and opinions on the usefulness of circuits in physics classes and in different engineering fields.
Hyperfluxe
Hi,

I was wondering that if one disliked Physics I (Mechanics & Waves), would they hate mechanical engineering as well? How closely related are the two? Here is the curriculum for my Physics I course: "The basic laws and principles of Newtonian mechanics; oscillations and waves". So kinematics, dynamics, circular motion, angular/linear momentum, sound, moments of inertia, etc. In high school as well I really didn't like mechanics at all.

Similarly, would electricity & magnetism (Physics II) tell me if I would enjoy EE? Here is a list of courses with descriptions that I am/will be taking: https://docs.google.com/open?id=1O66kLTEvxF9AhCyigWDScEbeQdYAN4NExDxTb8wQc8JH6QZU-_QPtpPpAP3j
What courses that I enjoy would reflect well into an engineering discipline? I'm guessing:
programming -> software
electrical circuits and machines / E&M -> electrical
behaviour of liquids, solids and gases -> chemical
engineering statics -> mechanical or civil

Is this accurate? Thanks!Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics II is a pretty good preview of being an EE major, I think.

Majoring in EE involves a lot of circuit analysis. What you won't see in physics II is computer engineering, signal processing, and control. Especially computer engineering has quite a different feel to it. The rest of EE is mostly in similar spirit to physics II, I think.

I never got too far in ME, but I think if you didn't like mechanics, it's not a good sign.

behavior of liquids and gasses can be fluid mechanics which is a subject of Mechanical eng.

Hyperfluxe said:
Hi,

I was wondering that if one disliked Physics I (Mechanics & Waves), would they hate mechanical engineering as well? How closely related are the two? Here is the curriculum for my Physics I course: "The basic laws and principles of Newtonian mechanics; oscillations and waves". So kinematics, dynamics, circular motion, angular/linear momentum, sound, moments of inertia, etc. In high school as well I really didn't like mechanics at all.

Similarly, would electricity & magnetism (Physics II) tell me if I would enjoy EE? Here is a list of courses with descriptions that I am/will be taking: https://docs.google.com/open?id=1O66kLTEvxF9AhCyigWDScEbeQdYAN4NExDxTb8wQc8JH6QZU-_QPtpPpAP3j
What courses that I enjoy would reflect well into an engineering discipline? I'm guessing:
programming -> software
electrical circuits and machines / E&M -> electrical
behaviour of liquids, solids and gases -> chemical
engineering statics -> mechanical or civil

Is this accurate? Thanks!Thanks!

Not necessarily any of those. All engineers program these days (edit: Okay, not ALL, but I think programming is very useful in any field). Many engineers work with electrical circuitry. "Behavior" of liquids, solids and gases could mean anything from materials engineering to fluid flow analysis in aerospace engineering. And of course, engineering statics/dynamics is used in all disciplines.

Physics II also doesn't have a huge circuit analysis curriculum, at least in my experience, and it's not nearly enough to inspire anything but massive confusion. But I freely admit I may be in the minority on that one. I'm quite content letting that eckle-leckertricitay be handled by smarter people than I.

Last edited:
Physics II also doesn't have a huge circuit analysis curriculum, at least in my experience, and it's not nearly enough to inspire anything but massive confusion.

The proportion of circuit analysis in the class might not be that great, but it is covered, so provided you understand it, it's a good preview, and it's also a good preview of E and M classes for EE. It wasn't until much later that I understood circuits really well. But you sort of get the idea, I think, if you do well in physics II.

Angry Citizen said:
Physics II also doesn't have a huge circuit analysis curriculum, at least in my experience, and it's not nearly enough to inspire anything but massive confusion. But I freely admit I may be in the minority on that one. I'm quite content letting that eckle-leckertricitay be handled by smarter people than I.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on that one. For my introductory E&M class, circuits confused the hell out of me. I was perfectly fine with things like Gauss' Law, computing Electric and Magnetic Fields, Ampere's Law etc, but when it came to those damn circuits, I never knew what to do. It seemed like the only topic which other students were comfortable with, but I wasn't. I think the problem for me was that the principles of circuits were never really derived in depth from the basic fundamental laws, at least in my class/book (I've considered taking an EE class just to get rid of this fear of circuits I've built after this past semester). Good thing upper-level E&M doesn't seem to be too big on circuits...

1. What is mechanical engineering?

Mechanical engineering is a branch of engineering that focuses on the design, construction, and use of machines and mechanical systems. It involves the application of principles from physics, materials science, and mathematics to create solutions for a wide range of problems.

2. How important is physics in mechanical engineering?

Physics is a fundamental aspect of mechanical engineering. It provides the basis for understanding how mechanical systems work and how to design and analyze them. Without a strong understanding of physics, it would be difficult to excel in the field of mechanical engineering.

3. Can you still be successful in mechanical engineering if you dislike mechanics?

While a dislike for mechanics may make some aspects of mechanical engineering more challenging, it is still possible to be successful in the field. There are many other areas of mechanical engineering, such as thermodynamics, materials science, and manufacturing, that do not rely as heavily on mechanics.

4. Are there any alternative paths for someone who dislikes mechanics but wants to pursue mechanical engineering?

Yes, there are alternative paths for those who dislike mechanics but are interested in mechanical engineering. Some universities offer specialized programs in specific areas of mechanical engineering, such as robotics or aerospace, which may require less emphasis on mechanics. Additionally, individuals can pursue a career in related fields such as industrial design or project management.

5. How can I overcome my dislike for mechanics in order to excel in mechanical engineering?

If you are determined to pursue a career in mechanical engineering despite your dislike for mechanics, there are steps you can take to improve your understanding and skills in this area. These may include seeking extra help from professors or tutors, finding practical applications for mechanics concepts, and approaching the subject with a positive attitude and determination.