Is -3 + 1/2x the Correct Inverse of 1/(2x+6)?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the inverse of a given function and how to write out the composite function for both f(g(x)) and g(f(x)) to equal x. The conversation includes hints and explanations on how to compute these functions, with the first function being solved as an example. The conversation also includes a request for someone to show how it is done and a response from someone who is willing to help.
aisha
the inverse of 1/(2x+6) x cannot=-3

is -3 + 1/2x ? Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
yep.
oh, x =\= 0 ..

can someone show me how to check my self my using composites

g(f(x))=x and f(g(x))=x then both are inverse of each other.

Hint:
f(a)=b
f-1(b)=a

I need more than that I don't need a hint I need to see how its done because if my answer is right then how come I don't know how to write out the composite function so that f(g(x)) and g(f(x)) both equal x?

Can someone please show me how its done?

I know how to do it I am able to do it for f(x)=x^2 and g(x)=x+1 but in my question the fractions are throwing me off I don't know how to write it out, someone please help me! PLEASE! :uhh:

Last edited:
Okay,i'll be a nice guy... :tongue2:
[tex] y=\frac{1}{2x+6}\Rightarrow 2x+6=\frac{1}{y}\Rightarrow x=\frac{1}{2y}-3 [/tex]
So the function and the inverses are:
[tex] f(x)=\frac{1}{2x+6};f^{-1}(x)=\frac{1}{2x}-3 [/tex]
U wan to compute 2 functions:
[tex] f(f^{-1}(x))=...??;f^{-1}(f(x))=...??[/tex]
I'll take the first and leave you with the second.
[tex] f(f^{-1}(x))=\frac{1}{2f^{-1}(x)+6}=\frac{1}{2(\frac{1}{2x}-3)+6}=
\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}-6+6}=x [/tex]

I hope u saw the pattern and you won't have any trouble with the second.

Daniel.

Yeesh. I saw the title of this thread and was very confused for a second. lol

1. What is the inverse of a binomial?

The inverse of a binomial is an algebraic expression that is the reverse of a given binomial. It involves swapping the positions of the coefficients and the variables, as well as changing the sign of the exponent.

2. How do you find the inverse of a binomial?

To find the inverse of a binomial, first identify the coefficients and variables in the given expression. Then, swap their positions and change the sign of the exponent. Simplify the expression if possible.

3. Can every binomial have an inverse?

No, not every binomial has an inverse. A binomial must have a variable with an exponent of 1 or -1 in order to have an inverse. If the exponent is any other value, the binomial does not have an inverse.

4. Is the inverse of a binomial always a polynomial?

Yes, the inverse of a binomial is always a polynomial. This is because a binomial is a polynomial with two terms, and the inverse of a binomial is also a polynomial with two terms.

5. How is the inverse of a binomial used in real life?

The concept of inverse binomials is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, biology, and economics. In physics, inverse binomials are used to model the relationship between force and acceleration. In biology, inverse binomials are used to study the relationship between enzyme activity and substrate concentration. In economics, inverse binomials are used to analyze the relationship between price and demand.

Back