Understanding Einstein's Solid: Calculating Multiplicity of Energy States

In summary, the author's book does a good job of explaining the multiplicity of an energy state, but the author's example based on two solids that are in thermal contact and can exchange energy is flawed. The author suggests that the most likely distribution of energy between the two solids is half-and-half, but if you have N oscillators in each solid, sharing q units of energy, there is a probability of being in a different energy state by 1%, 0.01%, etc. The author also points out that every particle in the system has a finite energy, and if they have a so high energy, the solid will change itself into liquid or gas.
aaaa202
Reading about einstein's model of a solid as being made up by quantum harmonic oscillators.

Now while the idea is VERY interesting, I think my book's explanation of the multiplicity of an energy state is quite flawed. One can easily derive a simple formula using the binomial coefficient. However, as far as I can see the multiplicity of an energy state tends to increase as the total energy tends to inifinity. But surely that is nonsense, because the multiplicity must somehow be limited by the total energy in the system as a whole.

Why does it even make sense to calculate the multiplicty of different amounts of total energy, when there is always ONE total amount of energy, that can't change.

Maybe I should have continued to the next pages before asking this question though..

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should continue reading for a while. :smile:

You'll probably encounter an example based on two solids that are in thermal contact and can exchange energy. Each solid's energy can vary randomly, but the total energy is fixed.

If (for example) you have two solids containing the same number of oscillators, the most likely distribution of energy between them is obviously half-and-half. The interesting question is, if you have N oscillators in each solid, sharing q units of energy, what is the probability that the distribution is different from half-and-half, by 1%, 0.01%, etc.? What if N is one mole (6.02 x 10^23) and q is a similar number?

aaaa202 said:
However, as far as I can see the multiplicity of an energy state tends to increase as the total energy tends to inifinity

Very interesting.I also think that the energy of every oscillator must be finite.Because every particle can't be faster than light.And if they have a so high energy ,the solid will chenge itself into liquid or gas.

What is Einstein's Solid and why is it important to understand?

Einstein's Solid is a theoretical model used to explain the behavior of atoms in a solid material. It is important to understand because it helps us understand the fundamental properties of solids and their behavior at the atomic level.

What is the concept of multiplicity of energy states in Einstein's Solid?

Multiplicity of energy states refers to the number of different ways in which a system can be arranged or configured at a given energy level. In Einstein's Solid, this concept is used to calculate the total number of microstates or possible arrangements of atoms in a solid at a specific energy level.

How is the multiplicity of energy states calculated in Einstein's Solid?

The multiplicity of energy states is calculated using the formula W = N!/(n1! x n2! x n3!...), where N is the total number of particles in the system and n1, n2, n3... represent the number of particles in each energy level. This formula takes into account the different combinations and arrangements of particles at a given energy level.

What is the significance of understanding the multiplicity of energy states in Einstein's Solid?

Understanding the multiplicity of energy states allows us to calculate the probability of a system being in a certain energy state. This is important because it helps us predict the behavior of solids at different temperatures and provides insights into the properties of materials, such as heat capacity and thermal conductivity.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the multiplicity of energy states in Einstein's Solid?

The concept of multiplicity of energy states is widely used in various fields, such as material science, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics. It helps us understand the behavior of materials under different conditions and is crucial in the development of new materials and technologies, such as semiconductors, superconductors, and thermoelectric materials.