How Relevant Are 1960s Solenoid Design Principles Today?

In summary, a solenoid is an electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It is commonly used in electronic locks, valves, relays, and actuators, as well as in appliances, automobiles, and industrial machinery. Designing a solenoid involves considering factors such as force, voltage, current, and coil length, as well as choosing appropriate materials and wire gauge for the coil and the size and shape of the core. Some references for solenoid design include textbooks, engineering handbooks, and online resources from reputable organizations. In addition to technical aspects, important considerations for solenoid design include cost, reliability, manufacturability, and compliance with environmental and safety regulations.
awygle
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some references on solenoid design - core materials, geometry, etc etc etc. Can anyone suggest me some canonical references that I should check out? All the books I've found are from the 60s or so.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think things have changed that much since the 1960's? E&M is still E&M.

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromechanical device that converts electrical energy into linear motion. It typically consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a metal core.

2. What are solenoids used for?

Solenoids have a variety of uses, including in electronic locks, valves, relays, and actuators. They are also commonly used in appliances, automobiles, and industrial machinery.

3. How do you design a solenoid?

Designing a solenoid involves considering factors such as the required force, voltage, current, and length of the coil. It is also important to choose appropriate materials and wire gauge for the coil, as well as the size and shape of the core.

4. What are some references for solenoid design?

Some commonly used references for solenoid design include textbooks on electromechanical devices, engineering handbooks, and online resources from reputable organizations such as IEEE and ASME.

5. What are some important considerations for solenoid design?

In addition to the technical aspects of design, it is important to consider factors such as cost, reliability, and manufacturability. Environmental and safety regulations should also be taken into account when designing a solenoid.