How to Name a Compound with Both Double and Triple Bonds?

In summary, when naming compounds with double and triple bonds, the ending -enyne is used and the double bond receives lowest-numbering priority. For compounds with both a double bond and a phenyl group, the phenyl group should be named first. For the first compound mentioned, the correct name would be pent-1-en-4-yne. And for the second compound, it should be named x-phenyloctene.
Itachi
organic chemistry help!

how do i name a pentane with a double bond on one end and triple bond on the other end?

pent-1-ene-4-yne?

if an octane has a double bond on one carbon and a phenyl group on another carbon . which should i start with first, the phenyl or the double bond?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coumpounds with a double and triple bond take the ending -enyne, and the double bond receives lowest-numbering priority. Can you figure it out now?

Second question: name the phenyl first.

Itachi said:
how do i name a pentane with a double bond on one end and triple bond on the other end?

pent-1-ene-4-yne?

if an octane has a double bond on one carbon and a phenyl group on another carbon . which should i start with first, the phenyl or the double bond?

I think the secind one is x-phenyl-octene.I'm noit sure about the first,though.My first guess would be 4,1-methynpentene,but I'm not sure...

Daniel.

I do not think you are correct about the first one...let's let the OP take a shot at it. Keep the ending I mentioned earlier in mind.

The second one is correct except no dash b/w the two terms; should be x-phenyloctene, AFAIK.

What is organic chemistry?

Organic chemistry is the branch of chemistry that studies the structure, properties, and reactions of carbon-containing compounds. It focuses on the study of compounds that contain carbon-hydrogen bonds and their interactions with other elements and molecules.

Why is organic chemistry important?

Organic chemistry is important because it explains the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of a wide variety of molecules found in living organisms, as well as synthetic compounds used in everyday life. It also plays a crucial role in industries such as pharmaceuticals, agriculture, and materials science.

What are some key concepts in organic chemistry?

Some key concepts in organic chemistry include molecular structure and bonding, functional groups, stereochemistry, and reaction mechanisms. Understanding these concepts is essential for predicting and explaining the behavior of organic compounds.

How can I improve my understanding of organic chemistry?

To improve your understanding of organic chemistry, it is important to attend lectures and take thorough notes, actively participate in discussions and problem-solving activities, and practice regularly. It can also be helpful to use visual aids such as molecular models and online tutorials.

What are some common challenges in learning organic chemistry?

Some common challenges in learning organic chemistry include understanding complex reactions and mechanisms, memorizing large amounts of information, and applying concepts to unfamiliar molecules. It is important to stay organized, seek help when needed, and practice regularly to overcome these challenges.