Do Atoms Age? The Truth Behind the Lifespan of Atoms

• Thread starter aditya23456
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Age Atoms
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of atoms aging and whether they "travel in time." The speaker also brings up the idea of the arrow of time and its significance at different scales. Ultimately, it is concluded that atoms do experience time and can decay, but on a much smaller time scale compared to our own.
aditya23456
Do atoms age??

I ve read in many articles that most of the atoms which we see are made initially during big bang..And most of them concluded that atoms won't age..Is it true?

Physics news on Phys.org

Will you please clarify your question?What do you mean by "atoms won't age"?

that means atom won't travel in time..the set of events which happen at quantum scale can,t be stated at what time they happen..I m not sure but kinda similar to that

What do you mean by "travel in time"? An atom which is present now will be present one minute later (unless it happens to decay or to undergo fusion or whatever), did it "travel in time"?

A proton which was generated after the Big Bang and did not fuse with other atoms or got destroyed in other ways is still the same proton, without any ageing.

You might be confusing atoms with photons. Photons do not age in the sense that, in the "limit approximation" of the frame of rest of the photon, the space in the direction of travel is contracted to 0, so the photon reaches its destination instantly. It experiences no time between launch and collision. Atoms do experience time, and so they can decay if they are in an excited state or are radioactive. But a stable atom doesn't have anything to decay to, so it doesn't really matter if it's a billion years old.

I guess I meant arrow of time which is not significant in atomic scale.Now my question modifies to why arrow of time becomes significant at higher scale..If entropy is ur answer,why entropy is not interested in quantum scales..? And where do this additional entropy come from..?

aditya23456 said:
I guess I meant arrow of time which is not significant in atomic scale.Now my question modifies to why arrow of time becomes significant at higher scale..If entropy is ur answer,why entropy is not interested in quantum scales..? And where do this additional entropy come from..?

This is a VERY strange premise.

Let's say you have a volume of water, in an adiabatically-insulated container. What is the change in entropy over time of that system? Since dQ/T is zero, there's no change in entropy, ya? Isn't this the same as your "atom"? Then are you claiming that the arrow of time is "not significant" for this volume of water as well? If yes, then why are we focusing ONLY on atoms? And haven't this falsified your argument that at higher scale, such a thing doesn't exist? After all, a volume of water is a significantly "higher scale" than an atom, no?

{scratching head}

Zz.

aditya23456 said:
that means atom won't travel in time..the set of events which happen at quantum scale can,t be stated at what time they happen..I m not sure but kinda similar to that
Atoms certainly do travel in time. Only their time scale is very tiny compared to our time scale. So in order to scale up you need something like drift in phase in a very large population of atoms or something like that.

1. Do atoms have a lifespan?

Yes, atoms do have a lifespan, but it is extremely long. Atoms can exist for billions of years without showing any signs of aging.

2. How do atoms age?

Atoms age through a process called radioactive decay, where the nucleus of the atom breaks down and releases energy. This process is random and cannot be controlled or reversed.

3. Can atoms die?

No, atoms cannot die in the traditional sense. They can only decay and transform into other elements, but their individual particles cannot be destroyed.

4. Do all atoms age at the same rate?

Yes, all atoms age at the same rate, regardless of their type or location. This is because the decay process is determined by the atom's nucleus, which is the same for all atoms.

5. Can atoms be rejuvenated or reversed in age?

No, atoms cannot be rejuvenated or reversed in age. Once they have decayed, they cannot go back to their previous state. However, they can combine with other atoms to form new compounds and molecules.