Understanding Magnetic Moment in Uniform Magnetic Field

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation d\hat{S}/dt = γ\hat{S} \times \hat{B}, which describes the behavior of the magnetic moment in an uniform magnetic field. The conversation also mentions the use of intuition or vector calculus identity to understand the equation and the analogy with classical systems. The speaker also raises a question about the connection between angular momentum and spin momentum and seeks clarification on this. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing difficulty in understanding the physical interpretation of the equation.
hangainlover

Homework Statement

[itex]d\hat{S}/dt = γ\hat{S} \times \hat{B}[/itex]
What is the physical interpretation of this equation i.e. what is the behavior of the magnetic moment in
an uniform magnetic field?

Homework Equations

I don't think I need any equation for this, just intuition or vector calculus identity?

The Attempt at a Solution

The original question asked me to derive that equation by drawing analogy with classical system.
I said [itex]d\hat{L}/dt =\tau= d\hat{S}/dt= γ\hat{S} \times \hat{B}[/itex]
Thats fine, but i have hard time seeig what this means to magnetic moment (gamma S)

(plus do you guys know why it suddenly doesn't show up in latex mode?)

Physics news on Phys.org

Also, I know angular momentum L is not even close to being spin momentum S, but for some reason my TA said that's how you look at it. if anyone can justify this...

What is magnetic moment?

Magnetic moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnet or magnetic object.

How is magnetic moment related to a uniform magnetic field?

In a uniform magnetic field, the magnetic moment of an object is directly proportional to the strength of the magnetic field and the area of the object that is perpendicular to the field.

What factors affect the magnetic moment of an object in a uniform magnetic field?

The magnetic moment of an object is affected by the strength and direction of the magnetic field, the orientation and size of the object, and the material properties of the object.

How is the direction of the magnetic moment related to the direction of the magnetic field?

The magnetic moment of an object is always aligned with the direction of the magnetic field, with the north pole of the magnet pointing towards the north pole of the magnetic field.

What are some real-world applications of understanding magnetic moment in a uniform magnetic field?

Understanding magnetic moment in a uniform magnetic field is important in many fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. It is used in technologies such as MRI machines, electric motors, and generators.