Increasing and Decreasing Intervals

In summary: I first find the derivative in order to determine the intervals of increasing and decreasing, concavity, and any local extrema?In summary, in order to find the intervals where a given function is increasing or decreasing, concavity, inflection points, and local extreme values, one must first find the derivative of the function. This involves setting the first derivative equal to 0 and solving for the corresponding values of x. To determine concavity, the second derivative must be found and its sign must be analyzed. Inflection points occur when the second derivative changes sign.
courtrigrad
Hello all

If you are given the function [tex] y = x - 3e^-x^2 [/tex] and you want to find the intervals where the function is increasing and decreasing, concavity, inflection points and any local extreme values, would I first find the derivative?

My work

If [tex] f(x) = x - 3e^-x^2 [/tex] then [tex] f'(x) = 1+6e^(-x^2)xln(e) [/tex[. Then I set this equal to 0 But I get [tex] {e = e, x = RootOf(`.`(1+6*exp(-ln(e)_Z^2)_Zln(e) = 0, _Z))} [/tex]

How would you determine concavity and any local extrema? I know that to get inflection points you take the second derivative and set it equal to 0.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
It's this the function??
[tex] y=y(x)=x-3e^{-x^{2}} [/tex]

If so,review its differentiation.

Daniel.

Assuming that [itex] y(x)= x- 3e^{-x^2}[/itex] then [itex]y'= 1+ 6xe^{-x^2}[/itex].
(You really have it right: ln(e)= 1).

A function is increasing where its derivative is positive, decreasing where its derivative is negative. Of course, those intervals are separated by points where the derivative is equal to 0 so the first thing you would do is determine where the derivative is 0: where [/itex]1+ 6xe^{-x^2}= 0[/itex].

A function is "concave upward" if its slope is getting greater: i.e. where its derivative is increasing so its second derivative is positive. A function is concave downward where its second derivative is negative and has an inflection point where its second derivative changes sign. Note that the second derivative must be 0 at an inflection point but that is not sufficient! (y= x4 does not have an inflection point at x= 0.)

thanks a lot Halls and dexter

1. What is an increasing interval?

An increasing interval is a range of values on a graph where the function is increasing, meaning that the y-values are getting larger as the x-values increase.

2. How do you determine if an interval is increasing or decreasing?

To determine if an interval is increasing or decreasing, you can look at the slope of the function. If the slope is positive, the interval is increasing. If the slope is negative, the interval is decreasing.

3. Can an interval be both increasing and decreasing?

No, an interval cannot be both increasing and decreasing. It is either one or the other, depending on the direction of the slope.

4. What is a decreasing interval?

A decreasing interval is a range of values on a graph where the function is decreasing, meaning that the y-values are getting smaller as the x-values increase.

5. How do you find increasing and decreasing intervals on a graph?

To find increasing and decreasing intervals on a graph, you can look for intervals where the slope changes from positive to negative or vice versa. You can also find these intervals by taking the derivative of the function and setting it equal to zero to find the critical points.