Understanding the Schrodinger Equation and 1/2 Spin in Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the Schrodinger equation is a quantum version of Newton's Second Law and describes the evolution of a wavefunction that represents the probability of a particle's position. Spin 1/2 is a measurement of angular momentum in units of \hbar and indicates that the possible outcomes of spin measurements are half-integers of \hbar.
Swankie
Hi all,

In class I've recently been taught the schrodinger equation and about spin(couple weeks apart). My questions are-

1. In laymans terms, what exactly does the S-eqn mean? What I have taken it to be so far, is an equation that determines the probability of the position of an e- in "orbit" around the nucleus

2. I get the full integer 1,2,3... spin, but what exactly does it physically mean to have 1/2 spin?

I searched a bit for clear answers but have come up with nil so far =)

Physics news on Phys.org
The Schrodinger equation is the quantum analogue of Newton's Second Law. It describes the evolution of a wavefunction ψ, where we intepret |ψ|2 as the probability density function for the particle.

spin 1/2 is just a number. Its the spin-angular momentum measured in units of [itex]\hbar[/itex]. That is, [itex]\hbar /2=5.272859\times 10^{-35}\;\text{joule}\cdot\text{sec}[/itex]. If something has spin 1/2 or half-integer spin it means the possible outcomes of measurements of spin for that thing are half-integers of hbar, like, 1/2, 3/2, 5/2, etc...

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the quantum state of a physical system changes with time.

2. What is 1/2 spin in the Schrodinger equation?

In the Schrodinger equation, 1/2 spin refers to particles with half-integer spin, such as electrons, protons, and neutrons. These particles have a spin of either +1/2 or -1/2.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation used in quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is used to calculate the probability of a particle being in a certain state at a specific time. It is also used to predict the behavior of quantum systems and understand the properties of particles.

4. What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation in modern physics?

The Schrodinger equation is a cornerstone of modern physics and has played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics. It is used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level and has led to many important discoveries and advancements in the field of physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrodinger equation?

Although the Schrodinger equation is a powerful tool in quantum mechanics, it has some limitations. It does not take into account relativistic effects and cannot fully describe the behavior of particles at high energies. It also does not account for the effects of gravity.