Very simple question Making a fool of myself

• Thread starter Chemist20
  • Start date
In summary, the best way to ask a simple question without feeling foolish is to do some research beforehand, approach the question confidently, and be open to learning. To avoid feeling foolish in a group setting, practice and understand the topic, ask in a calm and confident manner, and remember that everyone is there to learn. It is acceptable to ask for clarification if you don't understand a simple question, and to improve your communication skills, practice active listening and use clear language. If you feel like you asked a stupid question, don't dwell on it and remember that everyone makes mistakes. You can also thank the person who answered your question to show gratitude and ease any embarrassment.
Chemist20
...but, is it true that K*T = hv ? Being K Boltzmann constant...and v the frequency.

Because I have seen this exercise, in which they just say that a sample A in thermal equilibrium (maybe this is the bit that I'm missing out...) absorbs light at 697cm-1, so the temperature of the sample is T = hv/k.

This was done by my teacher, but I don't trust him LOL.

Any ideas please?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What is the best way to ask a very simple question without making a fool of myself?

The best way to ask a simple question without feeling embarrassed is to first do some research and make sure the answer is not easily available online. Then, approach the question with confidence and be open to learning from the answer. Remember, there are no silly questions, only opportunities to learn.

2. How can I avoid feeling foolish when asking a question in a group setting?

One way to avoid feeling foolish when asking a question in a group setting is to practice beforehand and make sure you understand the topic. Also, try to ask the question in a calm and confident manner, and remember that everyone in the group is there to learn and share knowledge.

3. Is it okay to ask for clarification if I don't understand a simple question?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to ask for clarification if you don't understand a simple question. It shows that you are actively engaged and interested in learning. Just make sure to ask for clarification in a polite and respectful manner.

4. How can I improve my communication skills to ask better questions?

To improve your communication skills, practice active listening and pay attention to the questions asked by others. Also, try to use clear and concise language, and avoid using jargon or technical terms that may confuse others. Finally, be confident and don't be afraid to ask for clarification if needed.

5. What should I do if I feel like I asked a stupid question?

If you feel like you asked a stupid question, try not to dwell on it too much. Remember that everyone makes mistakes and asking questions is a valuable part of the learning process. If you are still feeling embarrassed, you can always approach the person who answered your question and thank them for their response. This shows that you are grateful for their help and can help ease any feelings of embarrassment.