Gas mixture final temperature

In summary, the problem involves a thermally insulated enclosure containing an ideal gas separated into two regions by a partition. When the partition is removed, the gas mixes freely and the final temperature of the mixture needs to be determined. Using the ideal gas law, the final pressure is found to be 66.66 Pa. To find the final temperature, the conservation of energy equation is used, with the specific heat being a common factor. The masses of the gas in each region are related using the ideal gas law and the final temperature is calculated to be 240 K.
roam

Homework Statement

I need some help with the following problem:

Consider a thermally insulated enclosure containing an ideal gas initially separated by a thermally insulated partition into two separate regions. One region is at pressure p1=100 Pa, temprature T1=200 K, and volume V1 = 10 m3. The other is at p2=50 Pa, T2=300 K, and V2=20 m3.

If the partition is removed and the gas from each region is allowed to mix freely, what is the final temprature of the mixture?

Homework Equations

Ideal gas law:

PV=NKT

p=ρRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I've first found the final pressure as follows

[itex]U_i \propto P_1 V_1 + P_2 V_2[/itex]
[itex]U_f \propto P_f (V_1+V_2)[/itex]

[itex]P_1 V_1 + P_2 V_2 = P_f (V_1 + V_2)[/itex]

[itex]P_f = \frac{V_1}{V_1 + V_2} P_1 + \frac{V_2}{V_1 + V_2} P_2 = 66.66 \ Pa[/itex]

Now to find the temprature, I wrote

[itex](N_1 + N_2) k T_f = (N_1T_1 + N_2T_2) k = P_f(V_1+V_2) = 66.66[/itex]

But how can I solve for "Tf"? The problem is that I do not know the number of moles of gas in each partition. Is there a way to calculate the number of moles, or should I use a different method to find Tf? Any helps is appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:

There is no work being done so initial internal energy equals final internal energy. While you cannot determine a numerical value for the mass in each section, you can determine the ratio of the masses.

LawrenceC said:
Hint:

There is no work being done so initial internal energy equals final internal energy. While you cannot determine a numerical value for the mass in each section, you can determine the ratio of the masses.

Thank you for the hint, but I think we still need the numerical values for the masses in each section in order to find Tf because

Qi=Qf

m1c(T1) + m2c(T2) = (m1 + m2)cTfinal

[itex]T_{final} = \frac{m_1(T_1) + m_2(T_2)}{m_1 + m_2}[/itex]

This is how I would factor mass into my equations, but I can't solve this without knowing the two masses. So, how can we find the ratio of the masses that you mentioned (given volume and pressure)? And how does that help in solving this equation? :confused:

Last edited:
"m1c(T1) + m2c(T2) = (m1 + m2)cTfinal"

Use the ideal gas law to relate m1 to m2. One is the other multiplied by a factor. Then each term has the same mass (either m1 or m2) in it and can be removed from the equation.

LawrenceC said:
"m1c(T1) + m2c(T2) = (m1 + m2)cTfinal"

Use the ideal gas law to relate m1 to m2. One is the other multiplied by a factor. Then each term has the same mass (either m1 or m2) in it and can be removed from the equation.

I tried this but I'm still getting stuck. Unless I misunderstood you, this what I did using the ideal gas law PV=ρRTV with ρ=mN/V, so I can write

[itex]PV=\frac{mN}{V} RTV[/itex]

[itex]P_1V_1 = P_2 V_2[/itex]

[itex]m_1 N_1 T_1 = m_2 N_2 T_2[/itex]

so I can write each mass as the other one times a factor:

[itex]\left\{\begin{matrix}m_1 = m_2 \frac{N_2T_2}{N_1T_1}\\ m_2 = m_1 \frac{N_1 T_1}{N_2T_2} \end{matrix}\right.[/itex]

And so I substituted those in the equation:

[itex]T_f = \frac{m_1T_1+m_2T_2}{m_1+m_2}[/itex]

and I get:

[itex]T_f = \frac{m_2 \frac{N_2T_2}{N_1} + m_1 \frac{N_1 T_1}{N_2}}{m_1+m_2}[/itex]

I tried to simplify this but I can't get rid of N1, 2 and m1, 2. So what can I do?

Hint:

Let's write the conservation of energy equation:

M1cvT1 + M2cvT1 = M1cvTf + M2cvTf, specific heat a common factor so bye, bye.

rho1 = P1/(R*T1) where rho is density
rho2 = P2/(R*T2)

M1 = rho1 * V1
M2 = rho2 * V2

Thank you very much, I get it now! I substituted the masses into Tf=(m1T1+m2T2)/(m1+m2) and the answer came out 240 K, hopefully that is correct. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the gas mixture final temperature?

The gas mixture final temperature refers to the temperature that a mixture of gases will reach after they have combined and reached thermal equilibrium. This is the temperature at which the average kinetic energy of the gas molecules is the same.

2. How is the gas mixture final temperature calculated?

The final temperature of a gas mixture can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the absolute temperature of the gas. By rearranging the equation, we can solve for the final temperature when given the initial temperature, pressure, and volume of each gas in the mixture.

3. What factors can affect the gas mixture final temperature?

The gas mixture final temperature can be affected by the initial temperature, pressure, and volume of each gas in the mixture, as well as the specific heat capacity and molar mass of each gas. Other factors such as external heat sources or chemical reactions can also impact the final temperature.

4. How does the gas mixture final temperature relate to the individual gas temperatures?

The gas mixture final temperature is the result of the gases in the mixture reaching thermal equilibrium. This means that the final temperature will be a combination of the individual gas temperatures, and the final temperature will be closer to the temperature of the gas with the higher initial temperature.

5. Can the gas mixture final temperature be higher than the initial temperature of any individual gas?

Yes, the gas mixture final temperature can be higher than the initial temperature of any individual gas in the mixture. This is because during the mixing process, energy is transferred between the gases, causing an increase in the overall temperature of the mixture. This is known as the Joule-Thomson effect.