What do you think of your ISP?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isp
In summary, the customer service at TDS was unhelpful and unyielding. They required that I unplug my modem and restart my computer, and then had to escalate the situation to a senior tech. After a lengthy wait, the tech found that the local switch had failed. There are no other ISPs available in this area, and no cable companies either. The customer support at our last residence was much better.
turbo
Gold Member
This morning, I called TDS to report an outage. The guy that I spoke to denied that there was any outage in my area and demanded that I unplug my modem, restart my PC, and auto-reconfigure the modem, among other things. After over 1/2 hour of that nonsense, he said that I would have to call Actiontec to "fix" my modem because the problem was not on their end. To make a long story short, he bumped the situation up to a senior tech, and lo and behold the local switch had experienced a massive failure. Not just an easily replaced card, but a whole rack of electronics. I hate dealing with script-monkeys that treat you like you are an idiot. I have set up and maintained networks, so I do have a clue.

Unfortunately, there are no other ISPs available on this rural road, and no cable companies either. I got much better customer support at our last residence. We moved out here to get some privacy and reduce my exposures to fragrances from dryer-vents, etc, but there are trade-offs.

Computer science news on Phys.org
turbo said:
This morning, I called TDS to report an outage. The guy that I spoke to denied that there was any outage in my area and demanded that I unplug my modem, restart my PC, and auto-reconfigure the modem, among other things. After over 1/2 hour of that nonsense, he said that I would have to call Actiontec to "fix" my modem because the problem was not on their end. To make a long story short, he bumped the situation up to a senior tech, and lo and behold the local switch had experienced a massive failure. Not just an easily replaced card, but a whole rack of electronics.
The guy may be trying to create demands, well I guess.
I hate dealing with script-monkeys that treat you like you are an idiot. I have set up and maintained networks, so I do have a clue.
I don't like anyone who is having such an attitude also. That is so good of you.
Unfortunately, there are no other ISPs available on this rural road, and no cable companies either. I got much better customer support at our last residence. We moved out here to get some privacy and reduce my exposures to fragrances from dryer-vents, etc, but there are trade-offs.
I used to deal with my ISP before when my air-link became broken, he offered lots of instructions on command prompt commands such that I could get him the information on the connection I was using. My English wasn't that good (only was about beginner~intermediate level) to understand what he was actually telling me. That was just a bad time I had too in my life. Thank you turbo so much for your story.

Have you tried to say "shibboleet"?

tech_support.png

Borek said:
Have you tried to say "shibboleet"?

tech_support.png

I don't know how people think about your image, but it's a very informative and enlightening hint to me. :biggrin: Thank you for your "clarification".

I'm happy with my ISP, but this issue is universal. I bet the techs working on problems I have would be surprised by how fast my hardware reboots if they really thought about it. :devil:

russ_watters said:
if they really thought about it. :devil:

Thinking is not part of the script, so there is no risk.

Somehow it reminded me of how Feynman was repairing radios by thinking.

That cartoon mirrored my experience almost to a T. Except for the 12+ hour loss of broad-band.

1. What factors do you consider when evaluating your ISP?

As a scientist, I look at a number of factors when evaluating my ISP. These include the reliability and speed of the internet connection, the cost of the service, the level of customer support, and the overall reputation of the ISP.

2. How do you determine if your ISP is meeting your needs?

I regularly run speed tests to ensure that my ISP is providing the advertised speeds. I also monitor the stability of the connection and keep track of any outages or service disruptions. Additionally, I pay attention to any changes in pricing or customer service quality.

3. How important is internet speed to you as a scientist?

Internet speed is crucial for my work as a scientist. I often need to transfer large data files and access online databases, so a fast and reliable internet connection is essential for my research. Slow internet speeds can significantly impact my productivity and the quality of my work.

4. Have you ever had a negative experience with your ISP?

Yes, I have had some negative experiences with my ISP in the past. This includes unexpected outages, slow speeds, and poor customer service. However, I have also had positive experiences with my ISP and overall I have been satisfied with their service.

5. Do you think there is a need for better competition among ISPs?

As a scientist, I believe that competition is always beneficial for consumers. More competition among ISPs would likely lead to better prices and improved service quality. It would also give consumers more choices and the ability to switch to a different ISP if they are not satisfied with their current one.