Find Gaps Between Primes: Formula & Tips

• Thread starter joan12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Primes
In summary, the conversation discussed the existence of a formula to compute the gaps between prime numbers, which would be a valuable discovery. However, there is currently no known formula, and research is ongoing. The conversation also touched on the potential monetary rewards for finding such a formula and the difficulty of proving the existence of arbitrarily large gaps between consecutive primes. The concept of the Sieve of Eratosthenes was also mentioned as a way to find all prime numbers below a given number. Overall, the conversation highlighted the complexity and mystery surrounding prime numbers.
joan12
is there any formula to compute the gaps between primes which could be true to all prime numbers?..thanks..please help!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
we don't have a formula to generate prime numbers , research is going on , if we have such a formula that will also give the gap between two successive primes

Knowing this would make you very rich, wouldn't it?

Mentallic said:
Knowing this would make you very rich, wouldn't it?

How?

phinds said:
How?

I thought I read about it somewhere, but here's a link to such a claim that money is involved with finding large primes:

https://www.eff.org/awards/coop

If there exist formulae to calculate the gaps between primes, then surely they'd be able to find a lot more primes than just searching for all the Mersenne primes.

There exist some monetary prizes for math papers but none of them would make you rich!

One can create arbitrary large consecutive composite integers by the sequence:
(k+1)! + 2, (k+1)! + 3, ...,(k+1)! + k, (k+1)! + k + 1
This sequence gives you k consecutive integers that are not prime

HallsofIvy said:
There exist some monetary prizes for math papers but none of them would make you rich!

Well that's the first time I've seen anyone downsize the value of hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions if you include the Millenium prizes).

. .Thank y0u guys f0r your kind replies. . .I just need s0me ideas to put on with my research paper. .Thanks for sharing, it would be a great help.

Try oogling Bertrand's postulate, twin prime conjecture, prime number theorem.

joan12 said:
. .Thank y0u guys f0r your kind replies. . .I just need s0me ideas to put on with my research paper. .Thanks for sharing, it would be a great help.

Can you prove that there are arbitrarily large gaps between consecutive primes? In other words there's a gap of a million, a gap of a billion, a gap of a zillion ... you can make the gap between consecutive primes as large as you want. It's an elementary proof, no advanced math needed.

SteveL27 said:
Can you prove that there are arbitrarily large gaps between consecutive primes? In other words there's a gap of a million, a gap of a billion, a gap of a zillion ... you can make the gap between consecutive primes as large as you want. It's an elementary proof, no advanced math needed.

The gaps are not necessarily between consecutive primes, they are arbitrarily large consecutive composites.

Oh boy..the minute I saw this post I thought:
Given two consecutive primes p1 and p2 the gap between then is |p1 - p2|.
:-D

coolul007 said:
The gaps are not necessarily between consecutive primes, they are arbitrarily large consecutive composites.

Sorry, of course that's what I meant :-)

ps -- I see you mentioned this earlier.

Last edited:
There should be a pattern. Primes are not multiples of 2, not multiples of 3, not multiples of 4, etc. Just take the numbers that are not multiples of anything

eddybob123 said:
There should be a pattern. Primes are not multiples of 2, not multiples of 3, not multiples of 4, etc. Just take the numbers that are not multiples of anything

Its easy to say "there should be". Try finding it!

eddybob123 said:

So...all we have to do is just take all of the prime numbers? Great.

Your statement isn't even true. Most prime numbers are not multiples of three...

eddybob123 said:

You're right, but that doesn't give any new information.

We know 2 is prime and no other prime is divisible by 2.

We know 3 is prime and no other prime is divisible by 3.

We don't need to consider 4 because if a number is divisible by 4, it's already divisible by 2, which we checked earlier.

We know 5 is prime and no other prime is divisible by 5.

Continuing like this, we see that we could figure out the distribution of primes ... if we already knew the distribution of primes. We haven't gotten any more insight.

However, your idea is actually the basis of the famous Sieve of Eratosthenes. You start with a list of all the counting numbers from 2 onward. You draw a circle around two; then you cross out 4,6,8, and all the other multiples of 2.

Then you put a circle around 3; and cross out all the multiples of 3. Continuing like this, you end up with all the primes circled. You can use this algorithm to find all the primes below any given number. The algorithm's about 2300 years old -- and still as good as ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sieve_of_Eratosthenes

There's a very cool animation on that page showing the algorithm in action.

eddybob123 said:

It's akin to proving a negative proposition. "It's not one of these!" That applies to a lot of things. The closest we will come is proving the Goldbach Conjecture, that places two primes equidistant from a fixed point.

What is the purpose of finding gaps between primes?

The purpose of finding gaps between primes is to understand the distribution of prime numbers and to potentially discover patterns or relationships between them. This can also aid in developing more efficient algorithms for finding prime numbers.

How do you calculate the gap between two consecutive prime numbers?

The gap between two consecutive prime numbers can be calculated by subtracting the smaller prime number from the larger one. For example, the gap between 5 and 7 is 2, while the gap between 11 and 13 is also 2.

Is there a formula for finding the gaps between primes?

There is currently no known formula for finding the gaps between primes. However, there have been several conjectures and theories proposed, such as the Goldbach's Conjecture and the Twin Prime Conjecture, which suggest that there may be patterns or relationships between prime numbers and their gaps.

What are some tips for finding gaps between primes?

Some tips for finding gaps between primes include using efficient prime number generation algorithms, such as the Sieve of Eratosthenes, and looking for patterns or relationships between prime numbers and their gaps. Additionally, studying previous research and conjectures on prime numbers can provide helpful insights in finding gaps between primes.

Can finding gaps between primes have practical applications?

Yes, finding gaps between primes can have practical applications in cryptography, as prime numbers are often used to generate secure encryption keys. Additionally, understanding the distribution of prime numbers can have implications in fields such as computer science, number theory, and physics.