Space-Saving 2-Piece Hammock Stand: A DIY Solution for Lateral Pull on Walls

• Thread starter pizzapop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, this hammock stand would allow for a freestanding hammock to be hung in a room without having a huge ugly thing spanning the room. It would consist of two pieces of galvanized steel pipe, with an OD of 33.4 mm, and a wall thickness of 3.38 mm. The stands would be fastened to three studs in a room with 16" stud spacing, and the hammock could be hung from the crossbeams.
pizzapop
I want to put a hammock in my room but don't want to damage the walls from putting too much lateral pull on a 2X4 stud. So I decided that I need a hammock stand, but don't want a huge ugly thing spanning my room. Do you think its possible to build two separate free standing supports that can support two people in a hammock? I figure some sort of L shape with a bracket,, maybe metal instead of wood for strength, that can just sit on opposite walls and not be too noticable. also maybe a Y shape for the floor part so it doesn't tip over sideways. Thoughts! Opinions! Ideally I will dissconnect one side when not in use so I can pass through the space easily.

Engineering news on Phys.org
pizzapop: Two freestanding supports, even in an L shape, generally would not be able to support the load, even for one person, and would pull in together, and overturn.

Instead, perhaps try something like this hammock stand, shown also here or here, taken from, e.g., http://hammocks.com/hammock-stands/metal-stands/exclusivedeluxefauxwoodhammockstands.cfm page. Or http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/3/L11162998.jpg it is again, from, e.g., this page.

They claim it can support a maximum occupant weight of 2000 N. The round steel tube size (outside diameter and wall thickness), of the larger tubes, appears to be perhaps 42.9 x 2.11 mm (?). But someone would need to actually measure and confirm the outside diameter (OD) and wall thickness of the above tube. (I am currently not sure if the OD of the larger tube shown in the above images is 41.3, 42.9, 44.5, or 47.6 mm.)

You could alternately use this double tube style.

Here, here, and http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7936/dwrmx.jpg is another approach, which works well, using galvanized steel pipe supposedly having an OD of 33.4 mm, and a wall thickness of 3.38 mm. In the particular case of the second and third images here, this particular person used dimensions A = 3050 mm, B = 1525 mm, C = 915 mm. (However, his dimension C value sounds too small, and should be increased, to achieve adequate stability. Notice in the fourth link in paragraph 2, above, for a hammock attachment height of B = 1140 mm, they use dimension C = 1220 mm.) Also, most sources seem to recommend A = 3650 mm to 4570 mm, instead of 3050 mm. However, for dimension A > 4000 mm (?), you might need to increase the top horizontal pipe size to an OD of 42.2 mm, and a wall thickness of 3.56 mm. If you give us the exact dimensions you want to use, and the exact pipe or tube outside diameter and wall thicknesses available, which you plan to buy, then we might be able to get a better idea of adequacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be easier to mount a couple of 5 foot crossbeams on two opposite walls.
You can fasten them to three studs, assuming the room has the usual 16" stud spacing.
Then hook your hammock to the crossbeams when you need it.
That should minimize the floor footprint and keep the stress on the wall structure low.

1. What is a space-saving 2-piece hammock stand?

A space-saving 2-piece hammock stand is a DIY solution for setting up a hammock in a tight space where traditional hammock stands may not fit. It consists of two pieces that attach to the wall and provide support for the hammock without taking up too much space.

2. How does a space-saving 2-piece hammock stand work?

The two pieces of the stand are attached to the wall using screws or brackets. The bottom piece acts as a base while the top piece is used to hold the hammock. The weight of the hammock is evenly distributed between the two pieces, providing a stable and secure support for the hammock.

3. Can anyone set up a space-saving 2-piece hammock stand?

Yes, anyone can set up a space-saving 2-piece hammock stand with the right tools and instructions. It is a relatively easy and straightforward DIY project that can be completed in a few hours.

4. What materials are needed to make a space-saving 2-piece hammock stand?

You will need two pieces of wood or metal, screws or brackets, a drill, a level, and a hammock. The type of wood or metal used will depend on personal preference and the weight of the hammock.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using a space-saving 2-piece hammock stand?

As with any DIY project, it is important to follow safety precautions and use proper materials and tools. The stand should be securely attached to the wall and the weight of the hammock should be evenly distributed to prevent any accidents. It is also important to regularly check and maintain the stand for any signs of wear and tear.