Unexplained Elbow Pain During Weight Lifting

In summary: So the "zing" is probably the muscle trying to do its job and the irritation from the fatigued muscles. In summary, the zing you feel may be a sign that your muscles are fatigued and you may need to rest or change your routine.
Bartholomew
Sometimes when I am lifting weights (biceps exercise) I get a "zing" in my elbow, usually my left, and usually when I'm tired or otherwise trying to lift more than is comfortable. It feels like the nerve is being pinched. What might cause this, and how much attention do I need to pay to this?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
You'll have to define "zing" a little better. Is it painful and/or does it last for an extended period of time after the initial onset? If so, you might want to see your physician.

A couple of other things to think about, did you just start lifting weights, or is this a new occurrence in a history of weight lifting. Are you doing free weights or using a machine? Since you mentioned it happens when you are tired or overexerting my guess is that you have fatigued the biceps and other muscle groups you are targeting and then, in order to complete the reps, you may be slightly and unconsciously changing your range of motion which recruits different muscles and joint orientation to compensate for the tired ones. This shift in style may "tweak some nerves" because your arm is not used to, or built to, function under a heavy load with that muscles/joint combination. This may be more of a problem with free weights due to the greater freedom of movement.

Really focus on the technique and the muscles you are trying to work, rather than going through the motions to get through the set. And again, don't hesitate to see the doc if you are still concerned, you don't want to be setting yourself up for injury.

Well, I don't try to work specific muscles. It seems like it makes more sense to use your body the way it is designed to work; your muscles are not designed to work in isolation.

Yes, they are free weights. I have been lifting them for a few years and have gotten this zing occassionally over most of that time. It is painful, but it does not persist. It is in the same location as, and feels very similar to, hitting your "funnybone."

I think that the reason you describe is probably the truth. The main muscles get tired so auxiliary muscles kick in and don't do quite as well.

1. What could be the cause of unexplained elbow pain during weight lifting?

There are several potential causes of unexplained elbow pain during weight lifting, including tendonitis, bursitis, nerve compression, or a muscle strain. It is important to consult with a medical professional to determine the specific cause of your pain.

2. Are there specific exercises or movements that can aggravate elbow pain during weight lifting?

Yes, certain exercises or movements that put strain on the elbow joint or require repetitive elbow movements can aggravate existing elbow pain. These may include exercises such as bicep curls, tricep extensions, or bench presses. It is important to modify your workout routine and avoid these movements if you are experiencing elbow pain.

3. How can I prevent elbow pain during weight lifting?

To prevent elbow pain during weight lifting, it is important to warm up properly before your workout and to gradually increase the intensity and weight of your exercises. It is also important to maintain proper form and technique during weight lifting and to listen to your body and take breaks when needed.

4. When should I seek medical attention for unexplained elbow pain during weight lifting?

If your elbow pain persists or becomes severe, it is important to seek medical attention. Additionally, if you experience swelling, redness, or loss of movement in your elbow, it is important to consult with a medical professional as these may be signs of a more serious injury.

5. Can unexplained elbow pain during weight lifting be treated?

Yes, the treatment for unexplained elbow pain during weight lifting will depend on the underlying cause of the pain. It may involve rest, ice, physical therapy, or medication. In some cases, surgery may be necessary. It is important to consult with a medical professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment plan.