Knocking Out Genes with dsRNA Inhibition in Eukaryotic Organisms

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    inhibition
In summary, knocking out a gene in an organism can be achieved by injecting it with dsRNA, which will trigger a reaction in every cell of the organism and knock out the gene. This technique is not effective in all eukaryotic organisms, as it is an old virus protection mechanism that is not present in all species. However, it has been found to be successful in model organisms like C. elegans.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
An interesting concept worth sharing: knocking a gene out in an organism.. how to do that.. now, dsRNA is used in the process. Eukaryotic organisms don’t have dsRNA (double stranded) only ssRNA. Some virusses though, DO have dsRNA. A eucaryotic organisms reacts to dsRNA by inhibiting the transcription of that particular RNA. But it turns out that ssRNA transcription of the particular kind is also inhibited! So if you’d like to knock out a gene in a model organism, inject it with dsRNA that codes for the gene. Every cell of the organism will react and knockout the fragment.

There must be some catches to the technique though because it sounds too simple :)

Biology news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Monique

There must be some catches to the technique though because it sounds too simple :)
I am pretty sure that this doesn't work in every eukaryote. I know it was discovered in some flower, and they find it works in most plants I think.

Apparently it is an 'old' virus protection thing, and so many higher eukaryotes don't have the dsRNA protection system.

Well, at least I know it works in C. elegans. It is true, I also heard it is an old mechanism.

1. How does dsRNA inhibition knock out genes in eukaryotic organisms?

dsRNA inhibition works by introducing double-stranded RNA (dsRNA) molecules that are complementary to the target gene into the cell. These dsRNA molecules bind to the mRNA of the target gene, triggering its degradation and preventing it from being translated into a functional protein. This effectively “knocks out” the gene, as without mRNA, the gene cannot be expressed.

2. What types of eukaryotic organisms can be targeted with dsRNA inhibition?

dsRNA inhibition can be used in a wide range of eukaryotic organisms, including plants, animals, and fungi. It has been successfully used in model organisms such as fruit flies, worms, and mice, as well as in agricultural crops and livestock.

3. Is dsRNA inhibition a permanent or temporary method of gene knockdown?

dsRNA inhibition is a temporary method of gene knockdown, as the effects are reversible and can wear off over time. The duration of knockdown can vary depending on the specific organism and target gene, but it typically lasts for several days to weeks.

4. How specific is dsRNA inhibition in targeting genes?

dsRNA inhibition is highly specific in targeting genes. The dsRNA molecules are designed to have a high level of complementarity to the target gene, which ensures that they only bind to and degrade the mRNA of the target gene. This specificity helps to minimize off-target effects and reduces the potential for unintended gene knockdown.

5. What are the advantages of using dsRNA inhibition for gene knockdown?

One major advantage of using dsRNA inhibition for gene knockdown is its high specificity, as mentioned previously. It is also a relatively simple and cost-effective method compared to other gene knockdown techniques. Additionally, dsRNA inhibition can be used to target multiple genes simultaneously, making it a useful tool for studying gene function and genetic pathways.