Cosmology: What math/physics background?

• Thread starter fourdriver01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary: Just make sure you're comfortable with basic algebra and calculus, and you can usually get by without knowing much about QFT or particle physics.
fourdriver01
Hi. I'm an undergraduate student interested in cosmology. Initially, it was astrophysics, and I know it's a large field and I'm generalizing, but I felt a lot of the work was statistical analysis and letting the computer crunch images and letting it do things for you.

I know a lot of knowledge builds on itself, so I've been making a list of areas of knowledge I sort of need to know. Can I get some pointers in the right direction for what I want to do? (Cosmology)

Math
Analysis: At least complex analysis and theory of PDEs
Calculus: At least ODEs/PDEs/tensor calculus
Linear Algebra:
Abstract algebra: Group/Ring/Galois theory, representation theory -> Lie groups / Topology

Physics
Classical mechanics: statics -> action principles -> hamiltonian/lagrangian
At least basic optics: Doppler -> Wave propagation
Statistical / thermodynamics: 3 laws -> Ising model -> Planck's radiation law
Electromag: Maxwell's equations (electrostatics, electrodynamics)
Particle physics:
Quantum mechanics:
General relativity:
Special relativity:
QFT:

I know a lot of it is incomplete and/or incorrect. Any guidance for the natural progression of learning these subjects will be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Computer programming and numerical techniques seem like they would be very helpful.

What languages would you recommend for computer programming?

I've heard fortran is the most used, but it is very dated, so I am unsure.

fourdriver01 said:

I've heard fortran is the most used, but it is very dated, so I am unsure.

Whatever you're comfortable with. All languages boil down to similar logic.

fourdriver01 said:

I would start with whatever language your professors are doing their cosmology research in. That way you can have a useful skill to do some undergrad research with them.

If you're an undergrad, I don't think this matters at all. Just do the coursework for your undergrad physics degree.

The following will all be part of your graduate coursework: GR, tensor calculus (taught as part of GR), QFT, particle physics, abstract algebra (the parts used in physics, which doesn't include Galois theory).

You don't need computer programming skills going into grad school. They're easy to pick up at the low level required for scientific research (in the fields of scientific research where they're needed at all). If you take an undergrad programming course they'll cram you full of the minutiae of object-oriented programming and/or the heinously complex syntax of C++; none of this is at all necessary for physics research.

1. What level of math and physics is required to understand cosmology?

A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations is necessary to understand the mathematical concepts in cosmology. Additionally, knowledge of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics is important in understanding the physical principles that govern the universe.

2. Do I need to have a degree in physics or astronomy to study cosmology?

While having a degree in physics or astronomy can be beneficial, it is not a requirement to study cosmology. Many universities offer introductory courses in cosmology that do not have any prerequisites. However, a solid understanding of math and physics is necessary to fully grasp the concepts.

3. Are there any specific branches of math or physics that are more important in cosmology?

In cosmology, the most commonly used branches of math include differential geometry, statistics, and numerical methods. In terms of physics, cosmologists often rely on concepts from relativity, quantum mechanics, and thermodynamics.

4. Can I study cosmology if I am not strong in math?

While a strong understanding of math is important in studying cosmology, it is possible to learn and understand the concepts with practice and dedication. Many resources, such as textbooks and online courses, are available to help individuals improve their math skills and apply them to cosmology.

5. What resources are available for learning the math and physics behind cosmology?

There are many resources available for individuals interested in learning the math and physics behind cosmology. Some popular textbooks include "An Introduction to Modern Cosmology" by Andrew Liddle and "Cosmology: The Science of the Universe" by Edward Harrison. Websites such as Coursera and Khan Academy also offer online courses and tutorials on cosmology and related math and physics topics.