Simple Proof That Division By Zero Is Impossible

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of the number 0 and its inverse in various number systems. It also touches on the concept of limits and the undefined nature of 0/0 in most number systems.
Poolala
x / y = z, so z * y = x
1 / 0 = x, so x * 0 = 1
But 0 does not equal 1, so x / 0 is unsolvable.
Oh, and I'm new to forums so if this shouldn't be here you can delete it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you want to look at:

[itex]\underbrace{lim}_{i->0} \frac{Sin(x)}{x} = 1[/itex]

You mean:
$$\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sin(x)}{x}=1$$

... mathematicians can set up numbers to do all kinds of things.

Poolala said:
x / y = z, so z * y = x
1 / 0 = x, so x * 0 = 1

This argument makes the assumption that, whenever x/y is defined, the equation y(x/y) = x holds. It also makes the assumption that x0 is always defined, and it is 0.

Both of these assumptions are, indeed, true for the real number system, and the complex number system. But other important number systems do not have these properties.
RamaWolf is talking about something different (although some people have trouble distinguishing the two).

Poolala said:
x / y = z, so z * y = x
1 / 0 = x, so x * 0 = 1
Yes, that's a perfectly valid proof that the number 0 (or the additive identity in any field with more than one member) does not have an inverse.

RamaWolf said:
Perhaps you want to look at:

[itex]\underbrace{lim}_{i->0} \frac{Sin(x)}{x} = 1[/itex]
True but has nothing to do with the topic here.

Oh, and I've been thinking: does 0 / 0 = 1, or is it undefined?

Poolala said:
Oh, and I've been thinking: does 0 / 0 = 1, or is it undefined?
In most number systems 0/0 is undefined. Only a few exotic number systems have defined it and that is outside my scope.

What is division by zero?

Division by zero is a mathematical operation where a number is divided by zero. It is represented by the symbol "÷" or "/".

Why is division by zero impossible?

Division by zero is impossible because it violates the fundamental mathematical principle of division, which states that any number divided by zero is undefined. This means that there is no answer to the equation and it is considered mathematically invalid.

What happens when you divide by zero?

When you divide by zero, you are essentially trying to divide a number into an infinite number of parts, which is impossible. This results in an undefined value, meaning there is no solution or answer to the equation.

Can division by zero ever be allowed?

No, division by zero cannot be allowed in mathematics. It is considered an invalid operation and goes against the basic principles of mathematics. Any equation involving division by zero is automatically deemed incorrect.

Is there a simple proof that division by zero is impossible?

Yes, there is a simple proof that division by zero is impossible. The proof involves using the definition of division and the properties of zero to show that the result of division by zero is undefined. This proof is widely accepted and used in mathematics to explain why division by zero is impossible.