Matrices Formula for 10 by 10 Matrices

In summary, you need to find the det of a 10x10 matrix. The det of a 5x5 matrix is shown. The det of a 10x10 matrix is extremely complicated and will involve 100 variables.
BionicBiceps
I'm looking for a determinant formula for a 10 by 10 matrices in variable format.

Physics news on Phys.org
OK. Why do you want to know this? Do you have a specific example? This is going to be rough if the matrix isn't of a very simple type. For example, if it was sparse, it might be easier to figure out. Any general formula is going to involve 100 variables and is going to be an incredible mess and is going to be VERY VERY LONG. Basically, the first step is going to be finding the determinants of 10 9x9 matrices. This will be tough.

So, can you post a specific matrix for which you want the det?

I just need the basic formula for any 10x10 matrices

BionicBiceps said:
I just need the basic formula for any 10x10 matrices

Yeah, I got that, but what I'm saying is that the "basic formula" is incredibly complicated. It will involve 100 variables. Surely you can see why that will be a mess. That, combined with the fact that the first step will be to find the det of 10 9x9 matricies. It will be long and will take up many pages.

Here is the det of a 5x5 matrix (with the first row being a,b,c,d,e and so on)

a g m s y-a g m t x-a g n r y+a g n t w+a g o r x-a g o s w-a h l s y+a h l t x+a h n q y-a h n t v-a h o q x+a h o s v+a i l r y-a i l t w-a i m q y+a i m t v+a i o q w-a i o r v-a j l r x+a j l s w+a j m q x-a j m s v-a j n q w+a j n r v-b f m s y+b f m t x+b f n r y-b f n t w-b f o r x+b f o s w+b h k s y-b h k t x-b h n p y+b h n t u+b h o p x-b h o s u-b i k r y+b i k t w+b i m p y-b i m t u-b i o p w+b i o r u+b j k r x-b j k s w-b j m p x+b j m s u+b j n p w-b j n r u+c f l s y-c f l t x-c f n q y+c f n t v+c f o q x-c f o s v-c g k s y+c g k t x+c g n p y-c g n t u-c g o p x+c g o s u+c i k q y-c i k t v-c i l p y+c i l t u+c i o p v-c i o q u-c j k q x+c j k s v+c j l p x-c j l s u-c j n p v+c j n q u-d f l r y+d f l t w+d f m q y-d f m t v-d f o q w+d f o r v+d g k r y-d g k t w-d g m p y+d g m t u+d g o p w-d g o r u-d h k q y+d h k t v+d h l p y-d h l t u-d h o p v+d h o q u+d j k q w-d j k r v-d j l p w+d j l r u+d j m p v-d j m q u+e f l r x-e f l s w-e f m q x+e f m s v+e f n q w-e f n r v-e g k r x+e g k s w+e g m p x-e g m s u-e g n p w+e g n r u+e h k q x-e h k s v-e h l p x+e h l s u+e h n p v-e h n q u-e i k q w+e i k r v+e i l p w-e i l r u-e i m p v+e i m q u

Is there a simpler method then row reduction for solving this?

Not that I am aware of. But, I ask again, WHY do you need to know this? Let me guess, your Diff. Eq. prof promised you an A if you could give him a formula for the det of a 10x10 matrix. Is that right?

Robert1986 said:
Not that I am aware of. But, I ask again, WHY do you need to know this? Let me guess, your Diff. Eq. prof promised you an A if you could give him a formula for the det of a 10x10 matrix. Is that right?

haha that's exactly why

And now you can see why he told you this.

There has to be an easier way through a computer program.

BionicBiceps said:
There has to be an easier way through a computer program.

Well, sure, but that is probably going to involve either the method I mentioned or some sort of numerical method. The only reason it is 'easier' is because the computer can do it much faster than you can (though doing a 10x10 matrix will probably take a REALLY long time.)

A formula of the form that Robert1986 has already given you for a 5x5 matrix, if derived for a 10x10 matrix, will consist of 10! = 3,628,800 terms, with each term a product of 10 variables. If printed out with 10 terms per line, 50 lines per page, it will take over 7000 pages; that's several reams of paper! :cry:

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to represent data and perform operations such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication.

How do you represent a 10 by 10 matrix?

A 10 by 10 matrix is represented as a rectangular array with 10 rows and 10 columns. The elements of the matrix are written in a specific order, such as row by row or column by column.

What is the formula for adding two 10 by 10 matrices?

The formula for adding two 10 by 10 matrices is to add the corresponding elements in each matrix. This means adding the top left element in the first matrix to the top left element in the second matrix, and so on. The result will be a 10 by 10 matrix with the sum of the two matrices.

What is the formula for multiplying a 10 by 10 matrix by a scalar?

The formula for multiplying a 10 by 10 matrix by a scalar (a single number) is to multiply each element in the matrix by the scalar. The result will be a 10 by 10 matrix with every element multiplied by the scalar value.

How do you find the determinant of a 10 by 10 matrix?

The determinant of a 10 by 10 matrix can be calculated using the Laplace expansion method, which involves finding the determinant of smaller submatrices within the 10 by 10 matrix. This method can be time-consuming, so it is often more practical to use a computer program or calculator to find the determinant.