Resolving Forces to Ensure Motor Strength: A Screw's Tale

In summary, the conversation discusses a motor that turns a screw to lower a platform connected to fairings during rocket flight. Due to drag, there is an upward force pushing against the screw holding the platform down. The only way for the platform to go back up is to spin the screw in reverse. The conversation also considers the torque that the motor needs to withstand and the forces involved in holding the screw in place. Vibrations are also discussed as a potential issue for the screw.
Ahatem
So I have a motor and this motor will turn a screw and bring a platform down to expose fairings during rocket flight. The platform is connected to the fairings. Due to drag pushing the fairings down there will be an upwards force pushing the platform against the screw holding it down.

The only way for the platform to go back up is to spin the screw in reverse.

So I have the threads of a screw being exposed to an upward force. When I resolve the forces I see that no torque will cause the screw to spin. However if there is a torque there, I want to make sure that the motor can handle it.

My approach: I resolve the upward force into 2 components. One along the thread and one perpendicular to the thread. Then resolve each of those onto the vertical and horizontal axes. Obviously enough they cancel out and no force in the horizontal axis remains. (knew this would happen since no initial force in horizontal but just wanted to double check).

So is there a torque that my motor needs to withstand? If so, where does it come from?

Someone suggested that only the component perpendicular to the thread should be considered, and the component along the thread should be ignored. That leaves a force in the horizontal of the form Fcos(x)sin(x).

Engineering news on Phys.org

Usually a screw is threaded at so shallow an angle that static friction is enough to hold the screw in place against any likely load.

In the imaginary frictionless screw-hole, a force along the axis of the screw will cause it to turn... it is a basic mass-on-a-slope problem as I think you have surmised.

What you REALLY need to watch out for is vibration. In the presence of vibration a screw can "unscrew" with very little force --- the vibration just has to be strong enought to overcome the force at the peak of each vibration cycle --- if it does that, the screw will unscrew.

1. What is the purpose of "Resolving Forces to Ensure Motor Strength: A Screw's Tale"?

The purpose of "Resolving Forces to Ensure Motor Strength: A Screw's Tale" is to explain the concept of resolving forces and how it can be applied in the real world to ensure motor strength. It uses a screw as an example to illustrate the process of resolving forces and how it can affect the strength of a motor.

2. How does resolving forces affect motor strength?

Resolving forces is the process of breaking down a single force into its horizontal and vertical components. In the context of a motor, this means determining the individual forces acting on the motor and how they contribute to its overall strength. By understanding the forces at play, engineers can make adjustments to optimize the motor's performance and ensure maximum strength.

3. What are some common challenges when resolving forces in motors?

One challenge when resolving forces in motors is dealing with non-ideal conditions, such as friction and drag. These forces can make it difficult to accurately determine the forces acting on the motor, and thus affect the calculations for motor strength. Additionally, the complexity of motor systems and the various components involved can also pose challenges when trying to resolve forces.

4. How can resolving forces be useful in other areas of science and engineering?

Resolving forces is a fundamental concept in physics and can be applied in various fields, including engineering, mechanics, and even biology. It allows scientists and engineers to analyze and understand the forces at play in different systems, and make informed decisions to optimize performance and improve efficiency.

5. Are there any limitations to using resolving forces in motor design?

While resolving forces is a useful tool in motor design, it is not the only factor to consider. Other factors, such as material properties, manufacturing processes, and external forces, can also affect the overall strength and performance of a motor. Therefore, it is important to consider all aspects of motor design, rather than solely relying on resolving forces.