Mapping Conditions in Transformational Space

In summary, the problem at hand is to generate a series of 24-dimensional random numbers that adhere to a set of constraints expressed as a linear transformation equation, where the boundary conditions are in the 64-dimensional space. The solution involves finding a way to bound the problem space so that the random number generator does not continuously generate illegal values. This can potentially be achieved by re-writing the constraints in terms of the random number vector x. However, it is a complex mathematical problem that may require further investigation.
CluelessEngg
Hello,
My problem is as follows:
I want to generate a series of 24 dimensional random numbers to act as the starting population for a genetic algorithm. These numbers need to fully span the space which is limited by a series of nonlinear boundary conditions.

The 24 dimensional vector is a scaling vector which scales currents flowing in 64 different coils. There is a linear transformation matrix (call it A) [64x24] which maps the scaling vector (call it x) to the current space (call this vector B). So the problem is Ax = B.

The problem is the boundary conditions for the space are in the 64 dimensional current space. The conditions are:
1) The current in a given coil cannot exceed abs(500mA) (each abs(B(:))< 500mA)
2) The total sum of positive currents cannot exceed 6000mA
3) The total sum of negative currents cannot exceed -6000mA
4) The difference between positive and absolute value of negative currents cannot exceed 2500mA.

How can I bound the problem space so that the random number generator doesn't continuously generate illegal values?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clarify whether all the the constraints are expressible as linear inequalities involving the members of [itex] B [/itex].

Suppose the problem is to generate random vectors [itex] x [/itex]
subject to constraints defined by

[itex] A_{[64 \times 24]} x_{[24 \times 1]} = B_{ [64 \times 1] } [/itex]

where [itex] B [/itex] can be any matrix satisfying linear constrains of the form

[itex] C^i_{[1 \times 64]} B_{[64 \times 1]} \ge 0 [/itex] for [itex] i = 1,2,..N[/itex]

Since the members of [itex] B [/itex] are linear combinations of the members of [itex] x[/itex], the constraints can be re-written as linear constraints on the members of [itex] x [/itex].

So the problem becomes to generate random vectors [itex] x [/itex] satisfying a system of linear constraints of the form
[itex] D^i_{[1 \times 64]} x_{[64 \times 1]} \gt 0 [/itex], [itex] i = 1,2,..N [/itex].

I don't think this is an easy mathematical problem, but it seems to be essence of what must be done.

1. What is "Mapping Conditions in Transformational Space"?

"Mapping Conditions in Transformational Space" is a scientific method that involves creating a visual representation of the conditions or factors that influence a transformational process. This can include physical, chemical, biological, or psychological processes.

2. How does "Mapping Conditions in Transformational Space" work?

This method involves identifying the key variables or factors involved in a transformational process and plotting them on a graph or map, using different axes or dimensions to represent different variables. This allows scientists to visually analyze and understand the relationships between these variables and how they influence the overall process.

3. What types of transformations can be mapped using this method?

"Mapping Conditions in Transformational Space" can be used for a wide range of transformations, including physical transformations such as phase changes, chemical reactions, and biological processes like evolution or growth. It can also be applied to psychological transformations, such as changes in behavior or thought patterns.

4. What are the benefits of using "Mapping Conditions in Transformational Space"?

One of the main benefits of this method is that it allows scientists to gain a deeper understanding of complex transformational processes by providing a visual representation of the key factors involved. It can also help identify patterns and relationships between variables that may not be apparent through other methods.

5. How can "Mapping Conditions in Transformational Space" be used to inform decision-making?

By mapping the conditions and factors involved in a transformational process, scientists can gain valuable insights that can inform decision-making in various fields, including medicine, environmental science, and psychology. This method can help identify potential obstacles or opportunities for intervention and aid in the development of more effective strategies and solutions.