Assistance in checking transfer function

In summary, the conversation is about an undergrad design project and the derivation of an ODE using Laplace transform to obtain the transfer function. The transfer function is represented by the image provided and the person is seeking feedback on whether the input and output are correctly identified. They also mention the need for a certain equation to be present.
incognitor
Hi,

I am undertaking an undergrad design project and want to ensure I'm doing this correctly,

I have derived the ODE as shown below;

A*Y = M*X'' + (B+C)*X' + D*X
Where A,M,B,C,D are constants.

By taking the Laplace transform, I get;
A*Y(s) = M*s^2*X(s) + (B+C)*s*X(s) + D*X(s)

Therefore,
My transfer function becomes;

TF(s) = X(s)/Y(s) = the image of the transfer function below;
http://imageshack.us/a/img37/8820/95533304.jpg

Feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks right, but I have 1 thing to ask
1) Is Input X and Y the output?

You should always have:

[itex] Q(s)X_{out}(s) = P(s)X_{in}(s) \; \Rightarrow \; H(s) = \frac{P(s)}{Q(s)} = \frac{X_{out}(s)}{X_{in}(s)} [/itex]

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. It describes the response of a system to a given input signal and is commonly used in control systems and signal processing.

2. Why is it important to check the transfer function?

Checking the transfer function is important to ensure that the system is functioning properly and to identify any errors or discrepancies. It also helps to understand the behavior of the system and make necessary adjustments or improvements.

3. How do you check the transfer function of a system?

The transfer function can be checked by performing experiments or simulations and comparing the input and output signals. It can also be calculated analytically using mathematical equations and models of the system.

4. What are some common mistakes when checking transfer functions?

Some common mistakes when checking transfer functions include using incorrect equations or models, not considering all factors that affect the system, and not properly accounting for noise or disturbances in the input signal.

5. Can transfer functions be modified or improved?

Yes, transfer functions can be modified or improved through various methods such as changing system parameters, adding or removing components, or using feedback control. These modifications can help to improve the performance and behavior of the system.