C1*Ux+C2*Ut+C1*C2*Uxt=0, C1 and C2 are constant

• Thread starter p.sarafraz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Constant
In summary, the conversation is about solving a PDE related to heat transfer. The system is homogeneous and the solution can be expressed as a sum of products of functions of x and t separately. The technique is to substitute U = f(x).g(t) and solve for the set of such products. However, there is a dependence between f and g and it is not clear what to do with that. The suggested approach is to get the equation into the form (some function of f, f', x) = (some function of g, g', t) and conclude that both sides equal a constant, C. The conversation ends with the acknowledgement that this approach is helpful.
p.sarafraz
Hello every one. I'm doing research related to heat transfer stuff. I came up with this PDE after making some assumptions on my model. Now I need to solve it to be able to describe my model in a simple way. U is only a function of x and t.

C1*Ux+C2*Ut+C1*C2*Uxt=0, C1 and C2 are constant!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The system is homogeneous, so assume any solution can be expressed as a sum of products of functions of x and t separately. Substitute U = f(x).g(t) to find the set of such products.

Thans for your reply. I tried this technique but it appears that f function depends on g and g depends on f. And I don't know what I can do with that.

p.sarafraz said:
Thans for your reply. I tried this technique but it appears that f function depends on g and g depends on f. And I don't know what I can do with that.
If you can get it into the form (some function of f, f', x) = (some function of g, g', t), which I believe you can, then you can conclude that both sides of that equal a constant, C. Do you see why?

Oh yes I understand. Thank you so much. This is a great help.

1. What does the equation C1*Ux+C2*Ut+C1*C2*Uxt=0 represent?

The equation represents a partial differential equation that relates the rate of change of a function in terms of two independent variables, with the constants C1 and C2 representing the coefficients of the respective variables.

2. How does the value of C1 and C2 affect the solution of the equation?

The values of C1 and C2 affect the overall behavior of the solution of the equation. For example, if C1 and C2 are both positive, the solution will likely exhibit exponential growth, while negative values may result in exponential decay.

3. Can the equation be solved analytically?

In most cases, the equation cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical methods to obtain an approximate solution. However, there are some special cases where an analytical solution can be found, such as when C1 or C2 are equal to zero.

4. How is this equation used in scientific research?

This equation is commonly used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to model various physical phenomena and understand their behavior over time. It is also used in data analysis and forecasting to predict future trends.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this equation?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of this equation. For example, it can be used to model heat transfer in a solid material, diffusion of a gas in a liquid, or the spread of an infectious disease in a population. It is also commonly used in financial modeling and economics to study the dynamics of stock prices and interest rates.