RC circuits - Current and electric potential

In summary: You can see this in the figure below.In summary,The student attempted to solve a KCL equation but was lost. They drew two graphs and found the currents but were confused by the loop equations. They should label the current andloop equations and then eliminate duplicate currents.
msemsey

Homework Statement

Given the drawing, calculate the current going through the 2Ω Resistor and then calculate the difference in electric potential from point a to b.

Homework Equations

V = IR
juction rule:
ƩI = 0 = Iin - Iout
ƩV = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I attempted to draw all the currents. The Green is from the 3Volts on the bottom, the orange is from the 12V on the top. I would think that I could use a sum of the different V=IR equations (12/4 + 3/2 + 3/2), but 6 is not the answer. I'm pretty lost clearly.

Attachments

• Calculating current in Resistor.jpg
    Calculating current in Resistor.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
For starters use just one current in each "branch", that is the current will change to another value if you continue through a junction. Label each of these i1, i2...
Lets try it with a new drawing then.

Here is my updated drawing. I'm confident that I found all the currents and that the junction equations are right, but the loop rule equations confuse me... I'm not sure where the currents that don't pass through resistors go in the loop equations.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 404
msemsey said:
Here is my updated drawing. I'm confident that I found all the currents and that the junction equations are right, but the loop rule equations confuse me... I'm not sure where the currents that don't pass through resistors go in the loop equations.

You have too many unknowns in your KCL equations. You should recognize, eg, that i4=i5. Note with the two equations you have, you can only solve for two unknowns so the first step you would need to take with your equations is to eliminate all the duplicate currents. Make current a property of the branch.

For your loop equations, there are two loops and two currents. You have them identified as i1 and i2. i1 flows around the bottom loop and i2 flows around the top loop. Notice, eg, that for the i1 loop, the same current i1 must flow through the battery e, the resistance R and the 2 ohm resistor. The 2 ohm resistor is special because the current i2 must also flow through it, but it is the net current that causes the voltage drop. What justifies this net current calculation is KCL.

I would approach this problem by first analyzing the circuit and identifying the components and their values. In this case, we have a series circuit with a 2Ω resistor and two voltage sources, 3V and 12V.

To calculate the current through the 2Ω resistor, we can use Ohm's Law (V=IR) and the junction rule (ƩI=0). We know the total current in a series circuit is the same at all points, so we can set up the equation: 12V = 3V + I2Ω(2Ω). Solving for I2Ω, we get a current of 4.5A.

To calculate the difference in electric potential from point a to b, we can use the sum of voltage drops around the circuit (ƩV=0). Starting at point a, we have a drop of 3V across the 3Ω resistor, then a drop of 4.5V across the 2Ω resistor, and finally a drop of 12V across the 12V source. This gives us a total drop of 19.5V from point a to b.

In summary, the current through the 2Ω resistor is 4.5A and the difference in electric potential from point a to b is 19.5V. It's important to carefully analyze the circuit and use the appropriate equations to solve for the desired quantities.

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a circuit that contains a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) in series. These circuits are used to control the flow of electric current and can be found in many electronic devices.

2. How does current flow in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, current flows from the positive terminal of the battery, through the resistor, and into the capacitor. The capacitor then charges up until it reaches its maximum capacity, at which point the flow of current stops.

3. What is the relationship between current and electric potential in an RC circuit?

In an RC circuit, the current and electric potential are inversely proportional. This means that as the electric potential increases, the current decreases, and vice versa.

4. How do you calculate the time constant in an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) in an RC circuit can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) values. This value represents the time it takes for the capacitor to charge up to 63.2% of its maximum capacity.

5. What is the purpose of a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The capacitor in an RC circuit acts as a temporary storage unit for electric charge. It allows for a controlled flow of current and can also smooth out any fluctuations in the electric potential.