Safest region on Earth from natural disasters

In summary, regions on Earth that are safest from natural disasters are the United States and Ireland.
I've always thought levitation is a wildly underappreciated skill and should be taught in schools.

In a nice gentle hover 50-70ft off the ground one is safe from pretty much anything except peregrine falcon attack, and those can easily be bought off as long as one remembers to pack a satchel of doves.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Utah.

Not to troll by reviving an old thread, but I'm becoming convinced that Europe (in particular the North) is safe from nasty natural disasters. From all I read, I'm leaning towards England winning this contest. Ireland may block any tsunami from the Atlantic but London appears just fine, and it looks like it would not ever see the water. Were many of you taking climate change into account?? Weather patterns could change, which change crops and many other things. Interesting. Great thread.

Guapa said:
Utah.

John Wayne starred in a movie about Ghenghiz Khan. He and most of the crew died of cancer from fallout blown in from Nevada.

In most of Utah you will die quickly in the summer if deprived of water.

The natives practice human sacrifice to their idols.

I'd have to say that a lot of places on Earth would be perfect for survival. But as stated earlier, places near super volcanoes and near weather disaster zone aren't that great but really no where is suitable if the environment is ruined. But it is possible to survive almost anywhere in theory. But it would required a few things we can do and a few we can't. First we need better solar pannels, and a way to shield them during extreme events including small object collisions and high winds. We would also need better batteries that could store the power needed to run the average house, but the number of times it can be recharged should last for hundreds of years instead of tens. But what we can currently do is create wells, purify water, and supply artificial light for plants.The most important key, which is still something we can do but is unlikely, is dig. In the ground is safe. It's how the first mammals survived the dino Extinction, and if we do survive our own era extinction, that's how it will be done.

What a great thread. :wideeyed:

Solid Snake said:
Weather patterns could change, which change crops and many other things.
Since this thread was started, I have a LONGER garden growing season. Makes me feel safer.

My vote: Canada, on the Canadian shield.

They do have the poisonous garter snake which sometimes carries tetrodotoxin. (Oh, and there are some venomous snakes as well.) Tim Horton's donuts could lead to diabetes and heart disease. It is possible to be struck down by a rouge curling stone.

But the biggest danger are the Canadians who are so nice, you might die of boredom.

Jeff Rosenbury said:
My vote: Canada, on the Canadian shield.

They do have the poisonous garter snake which sometimes carries tetrodotoxin. (Oh, and there are some venomous snakes as well.) Tim Horton's donuts could lead to diabetes and heart disease. It is possible to be struck down by a rouge curling stone.

But the biggest danger are the Canadians who are so nice, you might die of boredom.

Wouldn't Canada be a death zone once Yellowstone's Supervolcano erupts?

And the thought of those nice Canadians can strike death into anyone. May the lord help us all!

There are supervolcanoes scattered around the world. So any area is in danger. However North East Canada is thousands of miles away, and the Canadian Shield is possibly the most stable geology in the world.

BTW, Yellowstone is reasonably stable and not likely to blow for thousands of years. There's a supervolcano in California that will likely go in the next century or two.

Man made disasters are more likely anyway. So my choice would be the nice people of New Zealand, or the nice people of Canada. Since New Zealand has one of those supervolcanoes, normal volcanoes, earthquakes, tidal waves, and potentially pirates (If the world order breaks down), I have to go with Canada.

O Canada; such an unlucky country. They could have had French cuisine, British culture, and a U.S. economy. Instead they got British cuisine, American culture, and a French economy. :oldlaugh:

And don't forget the snow. Sandy beaches and girls in bikinis; call me a risk taker. :cool:

Jeff Rosenbury said:
There are supervolcanoes scattered around the world. So any area is in danger. However North East Canada is thousands of miles away, and the Canadian Shield is possibly the most stable geology in the world.

BTW, Yellowstone is reasonably stable and not likely to blow for thousands of years. There's a supervolcano in California that will likely go in the next century or two.

Man made disasters are more likely anyway. So my choice would be the nice people of New Zealand, or the nice people of Canada. Since New Zealand has one of those supervolcanoes, normal volcanoes, earthquakes, tidal waves, and potentially pirates (If the world order breaks down), I have to go with Canada.

O Canada; such an unlucky country. They could have had French cuisine, British culture, and a U.S. economy. Instead they got British cuisine, American culture, and a French economy. :oldlaugh:

And don't forget the snow. Sandy beaches and girls in bikinis; call me a risk taker. :cool:
Canada sounds like the winner. Although now I learn that human caused climate change may deplete our oxygen, meaning there is no safe place anywhere...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151201094120.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid Snake said:
Europe could be full of nazis come climate change. They're taking a turn towards the far right already. I'm brown so I guess Europe's a little too risky.

Canada sounds like the winner. Although now I learn that human caused climate change may deplete our oxygen, meaning there is no safe place anywhere...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151201094120.htm
Safest places and nicest places are almost exclusive sets.

So much beauty; so little time.

This thread is starting to become overly sensationalized. Closed.