Calculating Zn Required for 2.00g of Au in Chemical Reaction

In summary, the conversation was about a chemical reaction and how to calculate the amount of Zn needed to obtain a certain amount of Au. The correct method was discussed and the answer was confirmed to be 1.10g of Zn. The importance of using consistent significant digits was also mentioned.
gokugreene
Hey guys could you tell me if I got the right answer; my teacher hasn't went over this material and it is due tomorrow.

Given the following reaction, how many grams of Zn are required to obtain 2.00g of Au?
[tex]4CN^{-1}~+~3Zn~+~2Au(CN)_4^{-1}~~-->~3Zn(CN)_4^{-2}~+~2Au[/tex]

(2.00g of Au)(1 mole Au/179.0g of Au)(3 mole Zn/2 mole Au)(65.39g Zn/1 mole Zn) = 1.10g of Zn

Is this the proper way and is my answer correct? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
taht is the correct way of doing it, just be careful of ratios always

And one more thing.Use the same # of significant digits when working with molar masses.

Daniel.

1. How do you calculate the amount of Zn required for a given amount of Au in a chemical reaction?

The amount of Zn required for a given amount of Au can be calculated using the following equation:
Zn required (g) = (Au mass (g) / Au molar mass (g/mol)) * (Zn molar mass (g/mol) / Zn stoichiometric coefficient)

2. Can the reaction between Au and Zn be balanced using stoichiometry?

Yes, the reaction between Au and Zn can be balanced using stoichiometry. The balanced chemical equation would be:
2Au + Zn → 2AuZn

3. How do you determine the molar mass of Au and Zn?

The molar mass of Au can be found on the periodic table and is equal to 196.97 g/mol. The molar mass of Zn can also be found on the periodic table and is equal to 65.38 g/mol.

4. Is the reaction between Au and Zn a redox reaction?

Yes, the reaction between Au and Zn is a redox reaction. This is because Au is reduced from a +3 oxidation state to a 0 oxidation state, while Zn is oxidized from a 0 oxidation state to a +2 oxidation state.

5. What are the units for the calculated amount of Zn required?

The units for the calculated amount of Zn required will be in grams (g), as this is the unit of measurement for molar mass. It is important to note that the molar mass used in the calculation must be in the same units as the given mass of Au.