Building a Ski Rope Tow. Need help with motor sizing

In summary, the conversation is about building a homemade ropetow in the backyard and the person is seeking help for motor sizing and torque calculation. The specs of the hill, rope, motor, gear reducer, pulleys, and desired rope speed are provided. Safety concerns are also discussed. The conversation also includes calculations for power requirements and pulley speed.
JesseWendt
Need help with motor sizing/torque calculation - Building a Ski Rope Tow.

I am building a homemade ropetow in my backyard. I have done a lot of research and unfortunately I have been away from physics for about 15 years, so I am having trouble calculating my motor size and transmission options. I will lie out what I am trying to accomplish below.

Here are the specs:

-The hill is 300 feet long at a 20% grade
-The rope is approximately 650 feet long and 200 lbs.
-I can use anywhere between a 1 to 2 hp motor operating at 1750 RPMs (would prefer to stay on 110 power and definitely can't go to 3 phase)
-The gear reducer can be 10:1 15:1 or 20:1
-The pulleys to attach to the output shaft range from 6" to 14" mostly in even numbers.
-I would like to be able to pull three 200 lb people up said rope at once
-I would like the rope speed to be approximately 7-10 fps.

I am open to ideas. I have nothing purchased at this point.

My plan was to use a 15:1 reducer with a 14" pulley for speed that works out to

1750rpm/15 = 116.667 RPM output

circumference of pulley is 3.663'

speed is 427.39011 feet/minute or 7.1 fps

This would be completely fine for speed if it can handle the load. My biggest concern is not overloading the motor.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jesse

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not to be a wet blanket, but have you considered any kind of fail-safe or cut-off? As a kid, I saw a young girl get hauled up the mountain because her long hair got entrapped in the tow-rope. Not really fun.

Rope-tows are inherently dangerous if used with standard twisted ropes. It may be possible to source some braided ropes, such are used on paper machines, and that could help with the safety issue. Teufelberger makes braided ropes, for instance.

Yep. I have that covered with switches at the top and bottom and a trip line that will kill the motor.

-The hill is 300 feet long at a 20% grade
-The rope is approximately 650 feet long and 200 lbs.
-I can use anywhere between a 1 to 2 hp motor operating at 1750 RPMs (would prefer to stay on 110 power and definitely can't go to 3 phase)
-The gear reducer can be 10:1 15:1 or 20:1
-The pulleys to attach to the output shaft range from 6" to 14" mostly in even numbers.
-I would like to be able to pull three 200 lb people up said rope at once
-I would like the rope speed to be approximately 7-10 fps.

Sorry I work in metric..

600lbs is about 300kg
300ft at 20% is about 60ft or 20 meters
300/10 = 30 seconds

Power = energy/time = mgh/t = 300*9.8*20/30 = 1960W = 2.6bhp

That's the power required to lift the weight of the people up the hill in the stated time assuming no friction, so the actual power required is going to be significantly more than that.

I've no data on the force required to pull a skier through snow.

PS: Also need to account for losses in the motor and gearbox etc.

Last edited:

JesseWendt said:
My plan was to use a 15:1 reducer with a 14" pulley for speed that works out to

1750rpm/15 = 116.667 RPM output

circumference of pulley is 3.663'

speed is 427.39011 feet/minute or 7.1 fps

This would be completely fine for speed if it can handle the load. My biggest concern is not overloading the motor.
Seems a little fast to me. Tow lifts I've seen go less than half of that.

But if these are the metrics you insist on, you should expect about 0.6HP per 180lb person. But since the pull is unlikely to be even, I'd go with a 2HP motor to be safe.

1. What type of motor is best for a ski rope tow?

The best type of motor for a ski rope tow is an electric motor. This type of motor is more efficient and environmentally friendly compared to gas or diesel motors. It also allows for better control and speed adjustments.

2. How do I determine the size of the motor needed for a ski rope tow?

The size of the motor needed for a ski rope tow depends on several factors such as the length and incline of the slope, the weight of the skiers, and the desired speed. It is important to consult with a professional engineer or motor sizing calculator to ensure the motor is powerful enough to handle the load.

3. Can I use a regular household motor for a ski rope tow?

No, a regular household motor is not suitable for a ski rope tow. These motors are not designed to handle heavy loads and would not have enough power to pull skiers up a slope. It is important to use a motor specifically designed for ski rope tows.

4. How often should the motor for a ski rope tow be maintained?

The motor for a ski rope tow should be regularly maintained according to the manufacturer's recommendations. This typically includes regular oil changes, cleaning and lubricating, and replacing any worn or damaged parts. It is important to follow a maintenance schedule to ensure the motor operates efficiently and safely.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using a motor for a ski rope tow?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to consider when using a motor for a ski rope tow. The motor should be securely mounted and guarded to prevent accidental contact. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the motor to ensure it is working properly. In addition, proper skiing and safety equipment should always be used while operating a ski rope tow.