Emissivity of Tungsten Carbide

In summary, the speaker is carrying out temperature analysis for their FYP using a handheld infrared camera. They are looking for the emissivity of tungsten carbide for accurate measurements, and a paper suggests a value of 0.85. The speaker expresses their gratitude for the help.
swc90
Hi,
For the purpose of my FYP I am carrying out temperature analysis on a single point cutting tool while machining on a lathe. I am using a handheld infrared camera to determine this.

In order to carry this out accurately the emissivity of the material must be inputted to the device as a parameter...something I cannot find!

Would anyone out there know the emissivity of tungsten carbide or perhaps even an approximate value?

Regards,

swc90

Engineering news on Phys.org
SteamKing,

Thanks a million for your help, much appreciated. Makes things a little easier for me.:smile:

Regards,

swc90

1. What is the emissivity of tungsten carbide?

The emissivity of tungsten carbide varies depending on its composition and surface conditions. Typically, it has an emissivity range of 0.05-0.5, with a value of 0.3 being commonly used for calculations.

2. How does the emissivity of tungsten carbide affect its thermal properties?

The emissivity of a material affects its ability to absorb and emit thermal radiation. A higher emissivity means the material absorbs and emits more thermal energy, leading to better thermal conductivity and heat transfer.

3. What factors can affect the emissivity of tungsten carbide?

The emissivity of tungsten carbide can be affected by its composition, surface finish, temperature, and wavelength of radiation. Additionally, any coatings or impurities on the surface can also alter its emissivity.

4. How can the emissivity of tungsten carbide be measured?

The emissivity of tungsten carbide can be measured using specialized equipment such as an infrared spectrometer or a thermal imaging camera. It can also be calculated using mathematical models based on its physical properties.

5. How does the emissivity of tungsten carbide compare to other materials?

Tungsten carbide has a relatively high emissivity compared to other common materials such as metals and ceramics. However, it is lower than materials such as carbon black and oxidized metals, which have higher emissivity values.