Solve Calculus Problem | Astroid Equation & Derivatives - Step by Step

• Thread starter erik05
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation involved solving an equation for a continuous function, finding the first derivatives of the function both implicitly and by using formulas, and discussing the use of positive and negative expressions in the final answer. The main points were determining the formulas for the functions and their derivatives, and understanding the use of positive and negative expressions in the solution.
erik05
Just wondering if anyone here could check to see if I did this question right.

An astroid has the equation [tex] x^\frac{2}{3} + y^\frac{2}{3}=1 [/tex]. The equation defines two continuous functions y=y(x) in the interval [tex] -1\leq x \leq 1 [/tex]

a) Solve the equation for y to obtain formulas for the functions.
b) Give formulas for the first derivatives of the functions for x cannot equal 0, ±1 by differentiating the equation of the curve implicitly and then substituting in the formulas for y from part (a).
c) Compute the same derivatives by differentiating the formulas from part (a)

a) [tex] y= (1-x^\frac{2}{3})^\frac{3}{2}[/tex]
[tex] =\pm \sqrt{(1-x^\frac{2}{3})^3} [/tex]

b) [tex] y'= \frac {-\sqrt[3]{y}}{\sqrt[3]{x}} [/tex]
substituting y:

c) [tex] y= (1-x^\frac{2}{3})^\frac{3}{2}) [/tex]
[tex] y'= \frac {3}{2} (1-x^\frac{2}{3})^\frac{1}{2} (\frac{-2}{3}x^\frac{-1}{3}) [/tex]
[tex] = \frac{-1}{\sqrt[3]{x}} (1-x^\frac{2}{3})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

Thank you all in advance.

Edit: Sorry if my work is incomplete, it's not letting me post the rest for some reason.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a) looks good to me.

(c) looks good, that part of it which I can see.

I can't really follow (b). Unfortunately, not all of your equations turned out.

Nice work though...

Edit: I think you're in the middle of fixing it.

Yes,for some reason it's not all showing up. Anyway, my final answer for b and c turned out to be:

± (1-x^(2/3))^(1/2) / x^(1/3)

I'm hoping this is the right answer...

Last edited:
I'm pretty confident because, like I said, part (c) looks on track. If you got the same answer using two different methods, you should be pretty confident too. :smile:

But why is there a +/- in front?

Isn't this :

[tex] = \frac{-1}{\sqrt[3]{x}} (1-x^\frac{2}{3})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

(which I stole from your post) the final answer?

Last edited:
It said formulas for part a so solving for y:

[tex]\pm \sqrt{(1-x^\frac{2}{3})^3} [/tex]

So calculating the derivative for the positive equation and the negative equation, wouldn't it give me ± (1-x^(2/3))^(1/2) / x^(1/3) ? Or perhaps I'm wrong?

Yeah, I think you're right. Well...sort of. I think that if you express y(x) entirely in terms of powers, then there is only one formula for y(x) (but it defines two functions). If you then differentiate, the expression is still in terms of powers, and again there is only one formula. Then if you express all your powers to the 1/2 as radicals, you get two separate expressions, one positive, one negative. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that:

y = x^1/2 defines both possible functions, and it's derivative:

y' = 1/2(x)^(-1/2) defines both derivatives (the derivative of each one).

You only see explicitly that the expression allows for two possible functions when you write it in terms of square roots...then you get your +/-'s in front. At least I think so.

So you could express your final answer either as:

[tex] \frac{dy}{dx} = - \frac{1}{\sqrt[3]{x}} (1-x^\frac{2}{3})^\frac{1}{2} [/tex]

or (equivalently) as

[tex] = \frac{\mp \sqrt{1-x^\frac{2}{3}} }{\sqrt[3]{x}} [/tex]

I hope that's right. somebody tell me if I'm way off base here...

Last edited:
Thanks for the help cepheid :smile:

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It is divided into two main branches: differential calculus, which focuses on the rate of change of a function, and integral calculus, which deals with the accumulation of quantities over a given interval.

2. What are the applications of Calculus?

Calculus has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding areas and volumes of irregular shapes.

3. Is Calculus difficult to learn?

Calculus can be challenging to learn, as it requires a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can become proficient in Calculus.

4. How can I check if my Calculus answers are correct?

You can check your Calculus answers by using online tools, consulting with a tutor or teacher, or working through practice problems with detailed solutions. It is important to understand the concepts and problem-solving strategies rather than just getting the correct answer.

5. What are some tips for mastering Calculus?

Some tips for mastering Calculus include practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, breaking down problems into smaller, manageable steps, and understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It is also important to review and reinforce previous topics to build a strong foundation.