The Feynman Lectures on Physics by Richard P. Feynman

In summary, the Feynman lectures are a must-have for any physicist. They cover a variety of topics in both classical and quantum physics, making them a great resource for thinking about physics.

For those who have used this book

• Lightly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Strongly don't Recommend

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org

Mmh, I forgot to make it a poll.
And I don't know quite how to categorize it, since they contain both classical physics and quantum physics.
Ah well, I'll just make it Classical for now. It's mostly volume III that is about quantum physics.

I added the poll for you and added the author in the title :)

A Must Have Series in Every Physicists BookCase. Used this High to till yet (Undergraduate).

This is a book every physicist should own. I still get something out of it every time I dip into it. I would not recommend it as a text to learn physics from initially, partly because there aren't any homework problems. For first-time learners who can handle this level of math and this intellectual level, I'd suggest Kleppner and Kolenkow for mechanics, and Purcell for E&M.

bcrowell said:
This is a book every physicist should own. I still get something out of it every time I dip into it. I would not recommend it as a text to learn physics from initially, partly because there aren't any homework problems. For first-time learners who can handle this level of math and this intellectual level, I'd suggest Kleppner and Kolenkow for mechanics, and Purcell for E&M.

I would agree with this. I enjoy parts of the Feynman Lectures so much more if I already know the subject, than if I am learning it for the first time; he often describes it in a different way than what I first experienced, so the multiple points of view, and intellectual charisma of Richard Feynman is always soothing.

One of the most enjoyable reads ever. I always end up learning something when I decide to break them out, even though I've read the majority of the chapters a few times already.

Not good as a text, but spectacular physics books to facilitate thinking about physics.

bcrowell said:
I would not recommend it as a text to learn physics from initially, partly because there aren't any homework problems.
There are, or were, three separate, slim, volumes with problems.

Volume 1. Mainly mechanics, radiation, and heat

Preface: "When new ideas came in, I would try either to deduce them if they were deducible or to explain that it was a new idea ... and which was not supposed to be provable."
Chapter 1. Atoms in motion
Chapter 2. Basic Physics
Chapter 3. The relation of physics to other sciences
Chapter 4. Conservation of energy
Chapter 5. Time and distance
Chapter 6. Probability
Chapter 7. The theory of gravitation
Chapter 8. Motion
Chapter 9. Newton's laws of dynamics
Chapter 10. Conservation of momentum
Chapter 11. Vectors
Chapter 12. Characteristics of force
Chapter 13. Work and potential energy (A)
Chapter 14. Work and potential energy (conclusion)
Chapter 15. The special theory of relativity
Chapter 16. Relativistic energy and momentum
Chapter 17. Space-time
Chapter 18. Rotation in two dimensions
Chapter 19. Center of mass; Moment of inertia
Chapter 20. Rotation in space
Chapter 21. The harmonic oscillator
Chapter 22. Algebra
Chapter 23. Resonance
Chapter 24. Transients
Chapter 25. Linear systems and review
Chapter 26. Optics: The principle of least time
Chapter 27. Geometrical optics
Chapter 28. Electromagnetic radiation
Chapter 29. Interference
Chapter 30. Diffraction
Chapter 31. The origin of the refractive index
Chapter 32. Radiation damping. Light scattering
Chapter 33. Polarization
Chapter 34. Relativistic effects in radiation
Chapter 35. Color vision
Chapter 36. Mechanisms of seeing
Chapter 37. Quantum behavior
Chapter 38. The Relation of Wave and particle viewpoints
Chapter 39. The kinetic theory of gases
Chapter 40. The principles of statistical mechanics
Chapter 41. The brownian movement
Chapter 42. Applications of kinetic theory
Chapter 43. Diffusion
Chapter 44. The laws of thermodynamics
Chapter 45. Illustrations of thermodynamics
Chapter 46. Ratchet and pawl
Chapter 47. Sound. The wave equation
Chapter 48. Beats
Chapter 49. Modes
Chapter 50. Harmonics
Chapter 51. Waves
Chapter 52. Symmetry in physical laws

Volume 2. Mainly electromagnetism and matter

Chapter 1. Electromagnetism
Chapter 2. Differential calculus of vector fields
Chapter 3. Vector integral calculus
Chapter 4. Electrostatics
Chapter 5. Application of Gauss' law
Chapter 6. The electric field in various circumstances
Chapter 7. The electric field in various circumstances (continued)
Chapter 8. Electrostatic energy
Chapter 9. Electricity in the atmosphere
Chapter 10. Dielectrics
Chapter 11. Inside dielectrics
Chapter 12. Electrostatic analogs
Chapter 13. Magnetostatics
Chapter 14. The magnetic field in various situations
Chapter 15. The vector potential
Chapter 16. Induced currents
Chapter 17. The laws of induction
Chapter 18. The Maxwell equations
Chapter 19. The principle of least action
Chapter 20. Solutions of Maxwell's equations in free space
Chapter 21. Solutions of Maxwell's equations with currents and charges
Chapter 22. AC circuits
Chapter 23. Cavity resonators
Chapter 24. Waveguides
Chapter 25. Electrodynamics in relativistic notation
Chapter 26. Lorentz transformations of the fields
Chapter 27. Field energy and field momentum
Chapter 28. Electromagnetic mass
Chapter 29. The motion of charges in electric and magnetic fields
Chapter 30. The internal geometry of crystals
Chapter 31. Tensors
Chapter 32. Refractive index of dense materials
Chapter 33. Reflection from surfaces
Chapter 34. The magnetism of matter
Chapter 35. Paramagnetism and magnetic resonance
Chapter 36. Ferromagnetism
Chapter 37. Magnetic materials
Chapter 38. Elasticity
Chapter 39. Elastic materials
Chapter 40. The flow of dry water
Chapter 41. The flow of wet water
Chapter 42. Curved space

Volume 3. Quantum mechanics

Chapter 1. Quantum behavior
Chapter 2. The relation of wave and particle viewpoints
Chapter 3. Probability amplitudes
Chapter 4. Identical particles
Chapter 5. Spin one
Chapter 6. Spin one-half
Chapter 7. The dependence of amplitudes on time
Chapter 8. The Hamiltonian matrix
Chapter 9. The ammonia maser
Chapter 10. Other two-state systems
Chapter 11. More two-state systems
Chapter 12. The hyperfine splitting in hydrogen
Chapter 13. Propagation in a crystal lattice
Chapter 14. Semiconductors
Chapter 15. The independent particle approximation
Chapter 16. The dependence of amplitudes on position
Chapter 17. Symmetry and conservation laws
Chapter 18. Angular momentum
Chapter 19. The hydrogen atom and the periodic table
Chapter 20. Operators
Chapter 21. The Schrödinger equation in a classical context: a seminar on superconductivity

I'm going to be starting my university physics sequence in the spring, and I'm planning on getting some supplementary material sometime between now and then. Would the Feynman Lectures be an appropriate choice for supplementary material in an introductory University Physics sequence? The topics seem to be pretty similar to the topics that are contained in it. I've read countless glowing reviews about the Feynman Lectures, and as people have mentioned in this thread too, it sounds like these are some books that every physicist/physics student should own.

If so, what's the best version to purchase? I was looking at the boxed set that was published in January 2011, https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465023827/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've read some reviews about this box set getting revamped later in 2011 to include a "Tips on Physics" section, along with a bunch of extra supplementary material. I've read a little bit about this idea getting scrapped though, in favor of publishing a separate volume of "Tips on Physics." This is what I've found on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465027970/?tag=pfamazon01-20 Would it be a good idea to pick this up along with the Lectures?

I'm also seeing another version of the Feynman Lectures that was published in Oct 2011, but they don't appear to be offered in a box set, and they're paperback, rather than hardcover. Are they worth getting instead of the ones from January 2011? Is there any significant difference?Any input would be much appreciated! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Feynman lectures are simply marvelous. It's fun to read and very instructive (particularly vol. 2 on electrodynamics; vol. 3 on quantum theory is a bit weaker but also worth studying).

vanhees71 said:
The Feynman lectures are simply marvelous. It's fun to read and very instructive (particularly vol. 2 on electrodynamics; vol. 3 on quantum theory is a bit weaker but also worth studying).

So would they be suitable for an undergrad that's getting their first exposure to calculus based physics? I'll have a separate required textbook for the classes obviously, but would these be suitable for supplements? I gather that they would be, but I want to make sure before I drop the coin on them.

Do you happen to know anything about the differences between the different editions? It sounds like there have been a TON of errors corrected through the years. Compared with the original editions, it sounds like over 1000 errors have been corrected in the newer versions.

Thanks for the input!

Although written to be "freshmen" books, the Feynman lectures for sure are not the book to start with. There should be some familiarity with physics. I'd recommend them for students in the 2nd year as theoretical-physics books. Also, before you buy any book, you should borrow it from the library before and check whether you like them!

Note that the Feynman lectures are now available for free online:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/

I'm assuming it's legit since it's through the Caltech website...

(Maybe add this link to the top post?)

1. What is the purpose of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics"?

The purpose of "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the fundamental concepts of physics. It was designed to be used as a textbook for undergraduate physics courses, and to help readers develop a deep understanding and intuition for the subject.

2. Who is Richard P. Feynman and why is he important in the field of physics?

Richard P. Feynman was a renowned American physicist who made significant contributions to the fields of quantum mechanics, particle physics, and quantum electrodynamics. He is known for his pioneering work in developing the theory of quantum electrodynamics, and for his unique teaching style and ability to explain complex concepts in a simple and intuitive way. He received the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1965 for his work in quantum electrodynamics.

3. Are "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" suitable for non-scientists?

While "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" were originally written for undergraduate physics students, they can also be enjoyed by non-scientists who are interested in learning about the fundamental principles of physics. Feynman's clear and engaging writing style makes the lectures accessible to a wide audience, and his use of real-world examples and analogies helps to make complex concepts easier to understand.

4. How are "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" different from other physics textbooks?

"The Feynman Lectures on Physics" are known for their unique approach to teaching physics. Unlike traditional textbooks, which often focus on mathematical equations and formulas, Feynman's lectures focus on explaining the underlying concepts and principles of physics. He uses simple language and everyday examples to help readers develop an intuitive understanding of the subject.

5. Can "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" be used as a standalone textbook for a physics course?

While "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" are a valuable resource for learning about physics, they may not be sufficient as a standalone textbook for a physics course. They are best used as a supplement to a more comprehensive textbook, as they do not cover all the topics typically taught in an undergraduate physics course. However, they can provide a deeper understanding of the concepts and serve as a helpful study aid for students.