Don't Induce Vomiting After Phorsphoric Acid Poisoning

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid
Instead, emergency rooms recommend using activated charcoal which is known to be more effective. It is advised to call your poison control center in case of suspected poisoning as they will guide you with first aid until help arrives. It is important to note that some poisons can be caustic and may cause more harm if vomited.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
I see a lot of poisons that say do not induce vomiting. One such thing is phorsphoric acid.
Why not vomit? Wouldn't that immediately get the poison out of your system?

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently it doesn't actually help to induce vomiting. Instead, emergency rooms prefer to use activated charcoal, which is more effective. If you suspect poisoning, call your poison control center and they will contact emergency services for you while you're on the line with them if needed, and they will instruct you on what to do as first aid until help arrives.

Some poisons are caustic and can cause more damage by being vomited.

not a subject i really put a lot of thought into...for some reason.

ShawnD said:
I see a lot of poisons that say do not induce vomiting. One such thing is phorsphoric acid.
Why not vomit? Wouldn't that immediately get the poison out of your system?

Perhaps it would cause some more undue damage in the internal organs as the material is passed out.

Last edited:

1. What is phosphoric acid poisoning?

Phosphoric acid poisoning occurs when a person ingests a toxic amount of phosphoric acid, a corrosive chemical commonly found in household cleaning products and industrial settings.

2. What are the symptoms of phosphoric acid poisoning?

Symptoms of phosphoric acid poisoning may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, and irritation or burns in the mouth, throat, and stomach. In severe cases, it can also cause shock, organ failure, and death.

3. Why shouldn't I induce vomiting after phosphoric acid poisoning?

Inducing vomiting after phosphoric acid poisoning can be dangerous as it can cause further damage to the already irritated and burned esophagus and throat. It can also increase the risk of aspiration, where the vomit is inhaled into the lungs, leading to respiratory problems.

4. What should I do if someone has been poisoned by phosphoric acid?

If someone has been poisoned by phosphoric acid, call emergency services immediately. Do not induce vomiting and do not give them anything to eat or drink. If the acid has come into contact with the skin or eyes, flush with water for at least 15 minutes.

5. How can I prevent phosphoric acid poisoning?

To prevent phosphoric acid poisoning, always follow the instructions on household cleaning products and use them in a well-ventilated area. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, when handling phosphoric acid. Keep all chemicals out of reach of children and store them properly in their original containers.